Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:02:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Troubleshooting Onda mb. D1800btc. Help.  (Read 193 times)
pix530 (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 06:41:14 AM

Got new mb. Finally turned on and no sounds. No led if any.
And nothing on the screen. Cooler works fine.

I tried. 2 different psu. 2 different lcd monitors. Vga. And external gpu hdmi and vga. Nothing.

Also mb has only 2 usb. So if i connect kb and mouse there is no by default port for usb stick anymore.

If you have experience with this mb or similar please let me know:
1. If there should be any led signals?
2. Does it make post sound?

I tried 2 different memory sticks.
So far my guess is something with memory
In 2 days i ll have 100% working ddr3 and new ssd.

Molex and sata both triple to one in.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 06:54:15 AM

You answered your question yourself.
Get a 1.35V DDR3L chip and try again. Anything else will fail!
pix530 (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 07:44:07 AM

Thank you very much.

Both modules micron and kingston 1.5v
Mikesol

Activity: 50

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:25:09 AM

My Onda 1800 just arrived from China. Just a motherboard in a bag, no box, no documentation, nothing else with it at all. Is that how they are normally shipped?
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:58:02 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2018, 12:02:23 PM by MagicSmoker

My Onda 1800 just arrived from China. Just a motherboard in a bag, no box, no documentation, nothing else with it at all. Is that how they are normally shipped?

That's how mine came... very cavalier, the Chinese.

Me and the OP might be experiencing the same problem - using 1.5V DDR3 memory instead of 1.35V DDR3L. In my case, I ordered what was described as DDR3/DDR3L memory from Amazon, as 1.35V is compatible with both, but they shipped 1.5V modules; a replacement module came in today and I'll be trying it out momentarily.

EDIT - well, "correct" DDR3L memory didn't solve the problem entirely, though it does seem that the board makes it farther along the boot process. I get one beep and then even a bit of HDD LED activity but no video from either of the 2 cards. I haven't tried the onboard VGA port for the simple reason I don't have a monitor with a VGA input; haven't in about 15+ years, actually... I guess the next step is to scrounge up a VGA input LCD monitor because it seems like that is the only issue.

I also tried hitting the "reset CMOS" button (just to the left of the USB/Ethernet ports) and that just resulted in a longer beep after power cycled.

dragonmike

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:28:10 PM

That's how mine came... very cavalier, the Chinese.

Me and the OP might be experiencing the same problem - using 1.5V DDR3 memory instead of 1.35V DDR3L. In my case, I ordered what was described as DDR3/DDR3L memory from Amazon, as 1.35V is compatible with both, but they shipped 1.5V modules; a replacement module came in today and I'll be trying it out momentarily.

EDIT - well, "correct" DDR3L memory didn't solve the problem entirely, though it does seem that the board makes it farther along the boot process. I get one beep and then even a bit of HDD LED activity but no video from either of the 2 cards. I haven't tried the onboard VGA port for the simple reason I don't have a monitor with a VGA input; haven't in about 15+ years, actually... I guess the next step is to scrounge up a VGA input LCD monitor because it seems like that is the only issue.

I also tried hitting the "reset CMOS" button (just to the left of the USB/Ethernet ports) and that just resulted in a longer beep after power cycled.

Yeah that's the expected behaviour. The longer beep tells you your CMOS has been cleared and your bios reset to default.
The absence of signal is very probably linked to the fact it's sending said signal through the IGFX to the VGA (D-SUB?) socket. I have the original version of the D1800 which doesn't have IGFX so I didn't have that problem. You might have to source an adaptor plug of some sort...
MagicSmoker

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:36:23 PM

Yeah that's the expected behaviour. The longer beep tells you your CMOS has been cleared and your bios reset to default.
The absence of signal is very probably linked to the fact it's sending said signal through the IGFX to the VGA (D-SUB?) socket. I have the original version of the D1800 which doesn't have IGFX so I didn't have that problem. You might have to source an adaptor plug of some sort...

Thanks for the confirmation... I went rooting around in my computer parts junk pile and found a VGA cable and a DVI to VGA adapter; I was all excited there for a minute until I realized that was DVI out...

EDIT - my D1800 (6 GPU) has the v2.00 sticker on it as well.
MagicSmoker

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 04:32:12 PM

Welp, dragonmike was right - just needed to plug in a crusty old VGA monitor to the onboard port and the screen was sitting at the install windows prompt.

However, the next peculiarity is that I thought this had UEFI BIOS so I already partitioned and formatted an HDD with GPT only to find out it is old-style BIOS and Windows 10 refuses to install to that HDD. Ah well, that, at least, is easy enough to rectify.

MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 04:44:18 PM

That VGA port is one of my few complaints about this board once you get it up and running.  Save yourself some heartache and buy one of these:

http://amzn.to/2FU1vdf

Works fine and lets you use a modern monitor with it.  Wink
MagicSmoker

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 05:30:53 PM

That VGA port is one of my few complaints about this board once you get it up and running.  Save yourself some heartache and buy one of these:

http://amzn.to/2FU1vdf

Works fine and lets you use a modern monitor with it.  Wink

I managed to find a used LCD monitor with a VGA port at a computer recycler for $20. I rather suspect I got taken to the cleaners on that one, but I think my desperation must have been evident...  Grin

I actually prefer to use integrated graphics here, rather than one of the GPUs, I just wish the Aliexpress listing hadn't specifically said "don't use the onboard video port!" I mean, it's one thing to not include any instructions or manual at all, it's quite another to purposefully tell the customer the exact opposite of what needs to be done.

At any rate, I got Windoze loaded and am now installing the massive Nvidia driver package. This thing should be mining Equihash or Neoscrypt shortly.
pix530 (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 06:11:50 PM

Guys, I have another question here. MB comes with only 2 USB ports. I have kb, mouse and usb stick. Weird, but how you deal with 3 usb devices with 2 ports? Some kind of replicator?

I don't have a monitor with a VGA input; haven't in about 15+ years, actually...
- Definetly going to order 1.35V DDR3 today. Any advice on brand/model?
- I have 2 VGA monitors. With usual RIG I have opposite issue - one of my monitors is not working with GB MB. Its 100% working with everything else.

- Yes. Just MB

This thing should be mining Equihash or Neoscrypt shortly.
- Let me know how it goes, but I suspect no issues anymore.
Mikesol

Activity: 50

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 06:20:24 PM

Guys, I have another question here. MB comes with only 2 USB ports. I have kb, mouse and usb stick. Weird, but how you deal with 3 usb devices with 2 ports? Some kind of replicator?

A cheap passive USB hub will do for that.

Or get one of these neat little keyboard mouse radio units - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonnics-Wireless-Rechargable-Multifunction-Raspberry/dp/B0152A76H2
MagicSmoker

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 06:43:34 PM

There is a blue pin header for 2 more USB ports on the mobo near the "southeast" corner of the CPU. Get something like the following to instantly add 2 more ports:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCVSPZ1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pix530 (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:06:11 PM

Yep, thanks guy. Ordered passive usb hub + I can get wireless kb+m too. 1 USB port.
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:15:22 PM

For $10, here's my favor hub:

http://amzn.to/2EWEm8H

2.0 or 3.0 doesn't really matter (the D1800 is 2.0) - although this is a 3.0 hub.  Good to have on hand in general for use with a thumb drive, etc.

Not surprised about your Chinese suppler not having a clue about the motherboard - most of them are just resellers and generally don't know much about the products they sell...  Their advice is probably based on some other older motherboard they had, but didn't realize the difference.
dragonmike

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 12:21:56 AM

Welp, dragonmike was right
Glad you got it working - I had my fair share of pain getting started with that board. But it's been churning away nicely over the past month now! Smiley
MagicSmoker

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 02:08:31 AM

Welp, dragonmike was right
Glad you got it working - I had my fair share of pain getting started with that board. But it's been churning away nicely over the past month now! Smiley

It is now mining! Just 4 of the 6 GPUs are installed but it is cranking away on Zencash and at the expected speed. The last hurdle I had to cross was Windows not recognizing the 2nd through 4th GPUs. Reinstalling the drivers solved the problem, but it seemed like a rather inelegant solution. I hope I don't have to reinstall the drivers yet again when I plug in the 5th and 6th cards...

All in all it was a frustrating process getting this board working, but that was almost entirely due to the lack of documentation and outright wrong instructions on the Alibaba listing page. Now that I've done it once it will be much easier to set up my other board... Once I get GPUs for it, that is...  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: