Bitcoin Forum
May 19, 2024, 05:10:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on quantum computers vs crypto?  (Read 189 times)
Nebell (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 104

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 07:36:01 AM

Some tech gurus believe that we're not many years away from quantum computers, maybe even months (this I don't buy).
But once quantum computers are out, every crypto will be hackable and insta mined.

Thoughts on that?

BitcoinZ - community driven, no premine, no dev-tax, developers always welcome
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3086664
https://btcz.rocks/
thomascr9695

Activity: 65
Merit: 1

OPQ

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 07:42:15 AM

Crypto currency is tech meaning it will always improve and change. The coins we have now can be useless tech in the coming years (look at bitcoin vs ethereum). Buy yourself the coins you're happy with and sell them off because in the future they'll be useless tech.

OPACITY
chocobo21

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 08:28:37 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2018, 09:05:40 AM by chocobo21

I am not worried about that because there are lots of quantum resistant cryptocurrencies, I am more worried about the price swing,the volatility of this market, the fud and all the crypto ban.
Endikadija

Activity: 1458
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:38:49 AM

Some tech gurus believe that we're not many years away from quantum computers, maybe even months (this I don't buy).
But once quantum computers are out, every crypto will be hackable and insta mined.

Thoughts on that?
Crypto will not hackable if quantum computers are out. if you do not understand about how crypto works and you must try to learn more about that. as far as i know, the crypto already encrypted with quantum resistant.
quantum computer still a fiction and that doesn't even become a real thing.
An0nyMoose

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:40:45 AM

Quantum computers are too far away to worry about this sort of thing.

Blockonomics                          ██
                         ████  ██

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄ ████  ████  ██
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ████  ████
    ▄█████▀▀         ▀▀█████▄ ██  ████
   ████▀                 ▀████   ████
  ████      ████████▄      ████ ████
 ████        ██    ██▄      ████ ██
████         ██     ██       ████
████         ██   ▄██▀       ████
████         ███████         ████
████         ██    ██▄       ████
████         ██     ██       ████
 ████        ██    ██▀      ████
  ████      ████████▀      ████
   ████▄                 ▄████
    ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
          ▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
DanWagner

Activity: 214

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 10:22:48 PM

Thoughts on that?
Crypto will not hackable if quantum computers are out. if you do not understand about how crypto works and you must try to learn more about that. as far as i know, the crypto already encrypted with quantum resistant.

Well the thing is you can claim quantum resistant but as long as there are no quantum computers it is impossible to prove. But i do think it is not something to worry about right now. There will be solutions in place when it happens.
Poink

Activity: 350
Merit: 122

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 11:20:35 PM

1st let me remind everyone that Quantum computers already exist. 

It is not yet available for home use but in use now.  Google it.
Dutchyyy
Legendary

Activity: 1197
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 11:23:45 PM

Thoughts on that?

Yes, quantum computers over 70 qubits could break any existing encryption, including bitcoin and all other cryptos.
I think when there are first signs for working quantum computer over 50 qubits, there will be hard fork to change algorithms to quantum resistant like IOTA.
yhoga45

Activity: 294
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:29:53 AM

I think cryptocurrency always improve their tech. For example in wifi technology, when wpa have been hackable then coming up wpa2. And basicly cryptography always envolve, a few years ago there was only classic cryptography and now modern cryptography.
zoom_rich

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:40:57 AM

Quantum computers require over 150 degrees below zero to work. It's not really even worth to consider.
thompshma

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:49:17 AM

We are decades away from personal quantum computing. Blockchain is safe
Endikadija

Activity: 1458
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 01:51:33 PM

Thoughts on that?

Well the thing is you can claim quantum resistant but as long as there are no quantum computers it is impossible to prove. But i do think it is not something to worry about right now. There will be solutions in place when it happens.
The point is quantum computer doesn't even exist. So, we are arguing on the speculation about what will be happening if there will be a quantum computer in the future, but basically, quantum works to degrade SHA algorithm.
But as far as I know that SHA256 is not having excellent resistance to the quantum computer. I think that there will be algorithm improvement in the crypto in the future. But this problem already discussed in so many threads.
The possible thing to give a good resistance from quantum computers if all of the cryptos will try to upgrade their SHA algorithm to SHA512.
Poink

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:19:03 PM

Thoughts on that?

The point is quantum computer doesn't even exist. So, we are arguing on the speculation about what will be happening if there will be a quantum computer in the future, but basically, quantum works to degrade SHA algorithm.
But as far as I know that SHA256 is not having excellent resistance to the quantum computer. I think that there will be algorithm improvement in the crypto in the future. But this problem already discussed in so many threads.
The possible thing to give a good resistance from quantum computers if all of the cryptos will try to upgrade their SHA algorithm to SHA512.

WRONG!!!

Read the thread again...quantum computers are in use now though just by major companies (and being developed/improved).
Riten

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:28:47 PM

Nope you can make coins to act differently. Quantum proof is the word.
You can make anything these days.
Poink

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:55:47 PM

I believe quantum computers can hack any of the existing crypto coins/tokens as they are now...but they will evolve as the need arise and will probably weed out 75% of existing "shitcoins" that can't/won't. 

This could be very good (depending on how you look at it) for the cryptoworld.
rayk

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 07:25:49 PM

I think there is nothing we must care about it. Maybe quantum is the last thing we should care about, quantum is not close.
VuValley

Activity: 121
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:50:19 PM

Quantum computers are only effective on certain algos. When they become mainstream out of necessity every susceptible coin will fork to a quantum resistant one
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: