Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:24:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CGMiner vs BFGMiner  (Read 9455 times)
Psytae (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 04:52:25 PM

Running Windows 7 64 Bit.

I have gotten all my block erupters to be recognized by CGMiner and running using zadig to change the driver to WinUSB.  However when I was running more than 2 in my USB Hub I get more HW errors than I do accepted blocks using the shortcut below.

C:\cgminer-3.3.4-windows\cgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://us1.eclipsemc.com:3333 -O XXXX:XXXX -o stratum+tcp://us2.eclipsemc.com:3333 -O XXXX:XXXX -g 1 -G

I was told that I should try BFGMiner instead.

I downloaded BFGMiner and installed it to the same location and it won't start.  It will only recognize my GPUs and none of the erupters and when I try to run it so the GPUs are not activated it just tells me

All devices disabled, cannot mine!

C:\bfgminer-3.1.4-win64\bfgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://us1.eclipsemc.com:3333 -u XXXX -p XXXX -o stratum+tcp://us2.eclipsemc.com:3333 -u XXXX -p XXXX -g 1 -G -S all

if I remove the -G and run it I get this error

Do not have user privileges required to open \\.\COM1

I am an administer on the computer.  I have UAM set to the lowest I can.  This is all I get when I try from an elevated run as administer command prompt as well.

I have checked and I am the owner of the C:\bfgminer-3.1.4-win64 folder as well, so I don't know why I keep getting permissions issues.
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:17:11 PM

Two things, 1) Do you have a GPU you are mining with as well?  I noticed you have a -g 1 which is an argument you use for GPU threads.  But, you also declare -G which means only USB devices.  If you are only using your block erupter, then you dont need the -g 1 argument, just run the -G argument.  2) The reason BFG doesnt recognize your erupter (I am assuming because you didnt say it in your post) is because you didnt use zadig to change your winusb driver back to the old ftdi driver that was originally installed.  BFG uses the old ftdi driver that is initially installed when you plug it in, so you dont need to use zadig.  But, if you were using cgminer and changed it with zadig, you have to change it back in order for BFG to recognize it.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
bogglns

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:33:02 PM

BFGMiner is ok
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:38:35 PM

first of all why are you using shortcuts with cgminer at all? thats lazy as shit and the wrong way to use it. follow these instructions i outlined in another thread instead.

BFGMiner is for tools. Use cgminer instead, version 3.3.1 or higher. its a very simple process

1. plug usb and install silabs driver http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx

2. unplug and replug usb.

3. download zadig http://sourceforge.net/projects/libwdi/files/zadig/zadig_v2.0.1.160.7z/download

4. open zadig > click "list all devices" > select cpx210 to uart controller from drop down menu > click replace driver > wait til it installs then close zadig.

5. open and run cgminer-nogpu.exe >input pool url, username and password. > after it loads and says USB FAILED to initialize hit "S" to bring up the settings menu. > Press "W" to write your info to a config file. > exit cgminer

6. unplug block erupter(careful it may be hot) > restart computer > replug block erupter. > restart cgminer-nogpu.exe and presto you're mining.

if it still says failed to initialize after you've done these steps do this:

1. open zadig > click list all devices > select cpx210 to uart controller > click reinstall driver > wait til it installs then exit zadig.

2. unplug Block Erupter. > replug block erupter.

3. restart cgminer-nogpu.exe

if you want to setup the config file prior to using cgminer like this, here is my config file which is what should be used for block erupters to reach the desired error rate of < .9%

DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING OTHER THAN YOUR POOL URL, USER,AND PASSWORD or cgminer  will get a JSON error and probably crash. if you are using gpu's with this, feel safe in knowing you can run cgminer-nogpu.exe for your block erupters and regular cgminer for your gpu's. just be sure to start cgminernogpu.exe first so that cgminer wont try to initialize your block erupters, instead just your gpu's. this way you can start cgminer with your bat file for your gpus and you can start nogpu for your block erupters.

Code:
{
"pools" : [
{
"url" : "somepool.net:3333",
"user" : "someworkername",
"pass" : "somepassword"
},

]
"api-port" : "4028",
"expiry" : "120",
"hotplug" : "5",
"log" : "5",
"no-pool-disable" : true,
"queue" : "1",
"scan-time" : "60",
"shares" : "0",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin"
}

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: