Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:35:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best MotherBoard for Butterfly Labs Monarch PCI card?  (Read 10063 times)
realestone
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 11:43:10 AM

i just cant believe some people in this thread are actually thinking of preordering with bfl after knowing its track record

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 06:31:55 PM

i just cant believe some people in this thread are actually thinking of preordering with bfl after knowing its track record

Some people have a different experience with BFL. Folks that have ROI'd and doubled/tripled their investment already are much more likely to pre order.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 07:19:20 PM

Some people have a different experience with BFL. Folks that have ROI'd and doubled/tripled their investment already are much more likely to pre order.

Unfortunately, you are speaking to a very small and lucky group of investors.

The rest are still holding the bag waiting for their pre-orders.
nexus99
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 07:50:26 PM

Unfortunately, you are speaking to a very small and lucky group of investors.

The rest are still holding the bag waiting for their pre-orders.

I agree. Just pointing out that there are different takes on the situation.
But on a whole... yes, it sucks balls pretty much.
joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 08:19:40 PM

Moores law says that technology increases and doubles every 18 months.

Monarch will be available in time for technology to double.

Grin
nexus99
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 08:32:15 PM

Moores law says that technology increases and doubles every 18 months.

Monarch will be available in time for technology to double.

Grin

Well, that's not what Moore's law really says ;-)
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 08:37:41 PM

Wouldn't it be more likely that this will just be a PCI and not a PCI-E card?
(As all here are stating you would need PCI-E slots)

Probably just a PCI USB-Controller, on which the device is mounted.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
voxelot

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 09:05:28 PM

All we can do is try to warn people who may be new to buying into ASIC technology...

I made a relevant post in this thread about how BFL is not the only company with a Gen 2 28nm ASIC.... like they claim.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=279109.0

www.cointerra.com

regards!
jerelimZ

Activity: 447

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 09:12:30 PM

Are people actually thinking of buying this crap? (Monarch).

Yes I do, but I will wait when it will be ready to ship product and then I decide.

▄▄█████████▄▄
      ▄█████████████████▄
   ▄████▀            ▀████▄
  █████                █████▄
 ███████████████████████████▄
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████        ██████        ████
 ████▄      ██████      ▄████
  ▀████     ██████    ▄████▀
    ▀████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████▀
      ▀▀██████████████▀▀
TIDEX

voxelot

Activity: 265

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 09:25:13 PM

Are people actually thinking of buying this crap? (Monarch).

Yes I do, but I will wait when it will be ready to ship product and then I decide.

By the time you wait for them to ship they will have a new card that you will again.. wait to buy.. its a loop with no break value really
millsdmb

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 09:26:59 PM

Get a fireproof/meltproof mobo is my recommendation.

Might need 1000W PSU by the time they're done too. And it might come in at only 400MH/s.

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 09:31:16 PM

I doubt it.  The order page and details provided by BFL have consistently said PCIe.  The photoshoped product photo is a reference GPU fprm factor with a PCIe connector (although it is x16 not x1).  What would be the advantage of PCI?  You got a motherboard from 1999 you want to bring back to life?
pacojones

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 09:38:48 PM

Really?  and how many "folks" have made ROI with BFL products??  and I'm not talking about $$ if you paid in BTC - I'm talking making your BTC back...  If you bought last year when bitcoin was at $30/per and you gave BFL 2500 BTC for a mini-rig and they only shipped a 1/3 of your order, your most likely never going to make the coins back and you would've been better off not mining at all!

I was a late asic adopter so I jumped on BFL with a variety of pre-orders in March and not only have I not seen anything, I don't expect to get anything until the end of the year.  WHAT'S WORSE is that I've put pre-orders in (around JULY) with 2 other companies and I suspect that they will deliver BEFORE BFL!  I'm not saying that BFL is a scam but they have had serious issues...  I just hope they figure out how to fix it, get things rolling and meet some of the anticipated goals.

Regarding a motherboard - are you nuts or just excited?  Do some research but don't buy anything until they have FIRM specs - or just plan to plug it in USB... either way it needs a power supply...  Don't expect it to be PCI-e just because that what the say on the site!  Again, I'm not calling them liars or cheats, it's just incredibly difficult to anticipate new technology...

millsdmb

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:32:02 PM

Here is a fun experiment.   Put 3x 7990s in a sealed 3U or 4U rackmount chassis and try to keep the cards from burning up.  There is a reason that people use open rigs.  Trying to remove that kind of heat is next to impossible.  Even if BFL delivers the form factor is next to useless because you are never going to be able to fill a rackmount server with 3 to 5 of them.

for posterity.

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
joeventura

Activity: 854

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:40:30 PM

Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 11:20:28 PM

Looking for opinions on best MotherBoards for Butterfly Labs Monarch PCI card?  I have not built a data center style board before.  I would possibly buy 5 at a time, and then wait to fill them in.
If anyone can point out imperative major design features, and any favorites, it would be much appreciated.

Take your pick of any high-density-PCIe data-center-style board. It really should not make a difference as to which you choose.

I would, however, recommend purchasing the following accessory.

lajz99

Activity: 756

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 11:42:55 PM

The best motherboard is the one you don't waste your $ on waiting for a card that will never ship.

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:37:10 AM

I doubt it.  The order page and details provided by BFL have consistently said PCIe.  The photoshoped product photo is a reference GPU fprm factor with a PCIe connector (although it is x16 not x1).  What would be the advantage of PCI?  You got a motherboard from 1999 you want to bring back to life?

No, I don't care if it is PCI or PCIe. I also don't see a advantage or disadvantage,

Just wondering if it isn't more likely.

History of BFL shows, that pics mean nothing and on the homepage it says:

Datacenter ready PCI cards

Also for am miner there is no need for a fast link like PCIe. And wouldn't PCI be cheaper?

My Imagination of this is still, they minimize their existing design. Glue it on a PCI USB-Controller and connect is via USB. Put a nice housing with a GPU cooler around and ready is the monarch.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 08:53:45 AM

No, I don't care if it is PCI or PCIe. I also don't see a advantage or disadvantage,

Uh, the advantage is that if it's PCIe you'll actually be able to use more then one on a modern motherboard...?

Not that these will ever ship, but a PCI card would be ridiculous. The idea is you can pop out a GPU and put one of these in - that means PCIe

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:58:52 AM

Your Monarchs will need a very large home to "incubate" in,something like this MAY work,

Seeing as BFL will double the size & power consumption,as per usual.But,not to worry,you folks will have PLENTY of time to plan  Cheesy

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: