Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:52:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1080ti hardware - best privacy coin  (Read 266 times)
Riptide_NVN (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 01:59:08 PM

Been doing some reading and it seems like really Monero is as of now the best privacy coin.  Zcash maybe not bad too.  Everything else has one problem or another like rich lists, sender not concealed, etc..  Monero is difficult to mine and so is Zcash now.  With 1080ti hardware XMR in particular is a very bad option.  Both currencies are expensive to buy.

It would be nice to get away from mining coins that are either total scams or are fail in some other way like no use case, bad privacy, bad developers, etc..

Looking for pointers here from anyone who has experience and feels like sharing.  Please.  Doesn't strictly have to be a privacy coin either.

Not wanting to share and telling me to do my research is an acceptable answer too.  No feelers will be hurt.  I'm starting to look into it and it takes a lot of time which is one reason I do understand people guard their secrets.   Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kapz786

Activity: 697
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 02:08:08 PM

I prefer Monero over ZCash but end of the day your graphics card can mine equihash much better than it can cryptonight so I would stick with ZCash
Shnikes101

Activity: 254
Merit: 109

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 03:12:58 PM

Been doing some reading and it seems like really Monero is as of now the best privacy coin.  Zcash maybe not bad too.  Everything else has one problem or another like rich lists, sender not concealed, etc..  Monero is difficult to mine and so is Zcash now.  With 1080ti hardware XMR in particular is a very bad option.  Both currencies are expensive to buy.

It would be nice to get away from mining coins that are either total scams or are fail in some other way like no use case, bad privacy, bad developers, etc..

Looking for pointers here from anyone who has experience and feels like sharing.  Please.  Doesn't strictly have to be a privacy coin either.

Not wanting to share and telling me to do my research is an acceptable answer too.  No feelers will be hurt.  I'm starting to look into it and it takes a lot of time which is one reason I do understand people guard their secrets.   Wink

I prefer Monero over ZCash but end of the day your graphics card can mine equihash much better than it can cryptonight so I would stick with ZCash

I also prefer Monero over ZCash.

To answer Riptide's question -
If you're interested in a coin and recognize that 1080ti is not the best at mining it - then the general strategy is to mine the most profitable coin for your gpu, sell it (daily/weekly/whatever), and buy the coin you want to own.

I'm doing this with my 1080 ti's - you'll accumulate the coins you desire much faster.
Riptide_NVN (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 04:24:02 PM

Yah Zcash has some issues for sure. Trusted setup, comments from the CEO about backdoors, separate private addresses that require a lot of compute power to transact, privacy not default, etc..  Definitely not a slam dunk and it has high difficulty to mine.  Monero isn't perfect but it seems the best and getting better.

Are you suggesting mine whatever is most profitable then sell it and use the BTC to buy XLM?  Thanks
AngelSky

Activity: 1008
Merit: 537

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 04:37:13 PM

ZEC is one of the profitable coin to mine with the GPU mining rig. You need to check the hash power producing with the card you own first then only you can understand which coin suits for your card. Each cards are perfect to mine the different coins so you have to find one of the best coin according to the card you are using.
When I am mining with the Nice hash I noticed that Equihash, cryptonight and dagger are good options to mine and make the more profit than other coins with Nicehash.
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 04:44:25 PM

Check out Zcoin, I think its the best and will end up as one of the top privacy coins.
Riptide_NVN (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 04:48:15 PM

ZEC has terrible profitability compared to say BTX,XVG,LUX, etc..  that is what keeps me from mining ZEC direct.

XVG,LUX, etc. are questionable to hold because they may be worthless. Not as enthusiastic about them as I once was and hence why I am looking at alternate courses of action here..

ZCoin has a rich list and it's almost as bad as ZEC to mine. High difficulty low reward etc..
Shnikes101

Activity: 254
Merit: 109

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 06:36:51 PM

Are you suggesting mine whatever is most profitable then sell it and use the BTC to buy XLM?  Thanks

Yes. Mine the most profitable. Sell it to btc. Buy your desired coin. Do this daily/weekly/whenever.
N0One

Activity: 48
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 07:30:49 PM

I started mining btx with my 1080 since it had strong returns and was planning to buy more onion (my preferred privacy coin). In the last dip though, bitcore did so well compared to everything else + the current airdrop that I ended up deciding to just hold as I mine it.

DeepOnion ⚡ Anonymous & Untraceable Cryptocurrency
⚡ Join DeepOnion Airdrop NOW! ⚡ (https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=1617862)
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 07:59:44 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2018, 08:09:49 PM by NameTaken

Zcash developers take 20% out of every block as "founders reward" and ZenCash also takes 8.5%.
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 09:12:12 PM

ZEC has terrible profitability compared to say BTX,XVG,LUX, etc..  that is what keeps me from mining ZEC direct.

XVG,LUX, etc. are questionable to hold because they may be worthless. Not as enthusiastic about them as I once was and hence why I am looking at alternate courses of action here..

ZCoin has a rich list and it's almost as bad as ZEC to mine. High difficulty low reward etc..

Well I guess the real question is what is OP looking for?  He wasn't very specific.  On one hand it sounds like he wants to mine a coin with good long term prospects and the best for privacy, on the other, he obviously doesn't want to mine something that will be cheaper to buy than to mine.  Of course that is always the million dollar question with mining;  Do you mine what is most profitable at that minute?  Or do you sacrifice some profit now for the potential of greater profit later.

If we are talking about most profitable right now, it will be zclassic (because of the upcoming fork) or zencash.  If you are talking about the best privacy coin, then Monero is the defacto, but saying its the best is like saying bitcoin is the best.  There are better cryptos out there than bitcoin but its what has widespread adoption and value.  As for Zcoin, their richlist is by design.  Its their belief that having an auditable blockchain will catch security breaches and bugs.  With Zcash it is impossible to know what is going on:  https://z.cash/blog/fixing-zcash-vulns.html

In short, best long term potential:  Zcoin.  Current algo cannot be mined by Nicehash, and they are switching to a new, never before used algo soon.  Also their current algo has extremely low energy usage and heat output.  You can mine on 6 cards without any real extra heat.

Best short term potential :  Shield (XSH).  Forked from Verge, but will be implementing more rich features such as PoS Casper, masternodes, smart contracts, and sharding.  Currently at 12 cents a coin, the potential is huge.

Best potential for privacy-oriented coin:  Intsense (ITNS).  Not a privacy coin per se, but will be used to pay for decentralized VPN service.  Developers are professional with very detailed monthly progress statements.  Cryptonight is the algo.  I currently mine this with my cpu with my GPUs mine XSH.    Currently at 3.8 cents per coin.  Even with the low price this is the most profitable cryptonight coin right now, so its a good coin to hold.  Even if it only goes to 10 cents, you have almost tripled your money.
Riptide_NVN (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:34:42 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2018, 11:45:22 PM by Riptide_NVN

While the zcoin rich list is on one hand a benefit it is also a detriment in that the best privacy would not allow for such a situation.  No rich list for Monero.  I completely agree that lyra2z is a very cool running, power efficient algo.  I miss that about zcoin.

Last couple months I've been messing up by mining something for a couple weeks, read about how its terrible, and fold up shop to move on.  Same thing happens again after I do more research I realize this is not "the one" and is a total scam or just inferior in some way to another coin.

Monero seems to be the best overall privacy coin and I'd like to own it.  I can't mine it though.  If I go that route then I'll have to do what people suggested here.  Mine something else then trade.

This afternoon I re-did my setup and am currently mining LUX and tweaking the GPU settings.  My intention is to read more about it and if I find out some things I don't like then this time I won't waste weeks on it.  I'll either move over to one of the other suggestions here (thanks btw) direct like XSH or just start mining whatever is most profitable then trade in for XMR.
_nur

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 11:34:50 AM

mainstream will only recognized zcash

http://fortune.com/go/finance/jp-morgan-bitcoin-zcash-wilcox/

monero... bad reputation
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: