Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:21:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: firewall issue, or broken web site?  (Read 1128 times)
doldgigger (OP)

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 11:04:59 AM

Hi!

I'm trying to get started with bitcoin at the moment. So I tried to get a tiny bitcoin value for testing from http://faucet.bitcoin.st/ (bitcoin faucet). However, it doesn't work for me, I always get a "We cannot connect to your Bitcoin Client, Please Open Your Firewall so port 8333 forwards to your computer" error message. Technically, I doubt this is the case. The machine running bitcoind is directly connected to the internet, with no firewall in between, and I can connect to port 8333 on it. So is there anything else I could be doing wrong? Also, does this mean that the bitcoin client must be running and connected to the internet in order for one of my bitcoin addresses to receive coins?

I put a bitcoin address in my signature, just in case anyone has some bitcoin fraction left and wants to test, or just help me out getting started...

19orEcoqXQ5bzKbzbAnbQrCkQC5ahSh4P9
Feel free to PM me for consulting and development services.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Happy0

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 01:48:17 PM

This website seems dodgy... Why would it have to connect to your bitcoin client at all? Transfers of bitcoins aren't done 'directly' like that...

Also the whole "By clicking on "I Agree" you agree that the mobile phone number entered above is your mobile phone, you also agree to receive occasional SMS messages (no more than 2 a month) advertising Bitcoin related services."

should be enough to put you off Tongue
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:07:01 PM

Eww.  Don't use that one.  Use the other faucet.  https://freebitcoins.appspot.com/

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
doldgigger (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 02:18:21 AM

This website seems dodgy... Why would it have to connect to your bitcoin client at all? Transfers of bitcoins aren't done 'directly' like that...
Thanks for clarifying. This one also made me wonder. It is not even clear to me where it would look for my bitcoin client? On the browser's IP? Not that I would regard web-browsers as terribly security-conscious applications which I would want to run on the same machine as the wallet...

doldgigger (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 02:23:41 AM

Eww.  Don't use that one.  Use the other faucet.  https://freebitcoins.appspot.com/
Hmm... I don't want a google account, though.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 02:43:57 AM

I think it's to prevent someone from using a proxy to get around the limit placed on each IP address.

linkme

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 02:45:44 AM

I'd like to hear from someone who has actually done this successfully and retained the rest of their bitcoins Tongue
silverchair

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 04:28:16 AM

Hi!

I'm trying to get started with bitcoin at the moment. So I tried to get a tiny bitcoin value for testing from http://faucet.bitcoin.st/ (bitcoin faucet). However, it doesn't work for me, I always get a "We cannot connect to your Bitcoin Client, Please Open Your Firewall so port 8333 forwards to your computer" error message. Technically, I doubt this is the case. The machine running bitcoind is directly connected to the internet, with no firewall in between, and I can connect to port 8333 on it. So is there anything else I could be doing wrong? Also, does this mean that the bitcoin client must be running and connected to the internet in order for one of my bitcoin addresses to receive coins?

I put a bitcoin address in my signature, just in case anyone has some bitcoin fraction left and wants to test, or just help me out getting started...

You need to configure your firewall in a way that will allow you to communicate to those address/addresses. 

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: