Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:18:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Planning to buy a GTX 1060 6GB, need advice!  (Read 161 times)
WeirdBoy (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 04:24:00 PM

I have an old rig that I wish to make a mining rig out of... Just beginning with one gpu for now...

Config- Mobo : Intel Dg31pr, Pentium e5200 2.5ghz dual core, 4gb ram and 160gb hdd (sata 3.5"),

I am planning to buy a GTX 1060 6GB and a Corsair PSU(which I'm not sure which version would be best/cheapest for 1gpu)
Both might cost me around 550usd, do I really need any thing else to upgrade excluding the ssd?

And My question is which would be the best coin for quickest roi, I am guessing zec, if I go with zec how long am I looking, if not overclocked how much will I earn per day in zec(do not care about fiat)? If I have to overclock which guide would be the best for saving me some beginner's trouble?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
0xcosmos

Activity: 585
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 04:46:11 PM

you will not need anything else except that
just get the gpu and a good psu to power it
check www.whattomine.com for profitability
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 05:31:04 PM

1060 would make around 0.004 to 0.005 zec/day at current difficulty. Usually +100 to core and +200 to mem is a good place to start and work from there. Nobody can give you perfect answer for overclocking since every vendor has different clocks on their core and mem and then on top of it each card has its own variance based on silicone lottery.

That Intel board is fine for mining with 1 GPU - beyond that I would look for a newer board/cpu. Consider only getting the 3GB 1060 and use the savings towards that - unless you're going to use the card to game with also at time.
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 07:27:53 PM

1060 would make around 0.004 to 0.005 zec/day at current difficulty. Usually +100 to core and +200 to mem is a good place to start and work from there. Nobody can give you perfect answer for overclocking since every vendor has different clocks on their core and mem and then on top of it each card has its own variance based on silicone lottery.

That Intel board is fine for mining with 1 GPU - beyond that I would look for a newer board/cpu. Consider only getting the 3GB 1060 and use the savings towards that - unless you're going to use the card to game with also at time.

this is horrible information to tell a newbie
Consider only getting the 3GB 1060 and use the savings towards that - unless you're going to use the card to game with also at time.
why the hell would you do that, telling someone to ONLY consider one kind of gpu is just lame and not smart. 3gb gpus will become obsolete faster than that of say a gpu with 8gb, also the resale value is better. he should be considering all options till he has made his mind up on how he is going to go about doing what it is he needs to do. btw DrG just cause something works good for you doesn't mean it will work good for the next person, you made a choice based on options and choices you made.

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2018, 07:39:18 PM

Consider only getting the 3GB 1060 and use the savings towards that - unless you're going to use the card to game with also at time.
why the hell would you do that, telling someone to ONLY consider one kind of gpu is just lame and not smart. 3gb gpus will become obsolete faster than that of say a gpu with 8gb, also the resale value is better. he should be considering all options till he has made his mind up on how he is going to go about doing what it is he needs to do

If the OP is, in fact, interested in mining ZEC or another equihash coin, then it is definitely worth considering the 1060 with only 3GB of graphics RAM. Generally, on equihash, the performance difference between the 6GB and 3GB 1060s is not worth the typical price difference.

I think DrG meant "only" as in to "settle" for the 3GB version (although it's hardly a big loss in terms of equihash performance), rather than meaning "only" as in exclusively considering the 3GB 1060.

I have an old rig that I wish to make a mining rig out of... Just beginning with one gpu for now...

Config- Mobo : Intel Dg31pr, Pentium e5200 2.5ghz dual core, 4gb ram and 160gb hdd (sata 3.5"),

I am planning to buy a GTX 1060 6GB and a Corsair PSU(which I'm not sure which version would be best/cheapest for 1gpu)
Both might cost me around 550usd, do I really need any thing else to upgrade excluding the ssd?

And My question is which would be the best coin for quickest roi, I am guessing zec, if I go with zec how long am I looking, if not overclocked how much will I earn per day in zec(do not care about fiat)? If I have to overclock which guide would be the best for saving me some beginner's trouble?

If you're only going with one card, obviously the powerful cards with the top mining performance would make the best use of the slot in terms of rig density. However, it's not necessarily the best for ROI potential, considering you already have most of the other hardware you need, and a beefier graphics card may raise your PSU requirements.

I'd look at prices for cards all across the board. Prices tend to vary across regions, so you're best looking them up for yourself. Generally the upper-mid tier RX cards and 10-series cards are good choices for a single card rig. (Cards with lower-end GPUs, such as the 1050ti might offer faster ROI times, but do note that your actual revenue potential is reduced.) Older cards can be worth considering, but do note that older cards tend to be less efficient, which will influence your electricity use and PSU investment for the revenue provided.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 09:44:34 PM

why the hell would you do that, telling someone to ONLY consider one kind of gpu is just lame and not smart. 3gb gpus will become obsolete faster than that of say a gpu with 8gb, also the resale value is better. he should be considering all options till he has made his mind up on how he is going to go about doing what it is he needs to do. btw DrG just cause something works good for you doesn't mean it will work good for the next person, you made a choice based on options and choices you made.

Whoa settle down. The advice I suggest is the same advice you'll see parroted over and over again in the 1060 thread. The 6GB cards are not worth the added cost if you're trying to achieve sol/dollar efficiency. Even with sols/watt it's only marginally 5% better.

I'm not sure how you can say a 3GB card is going to be obsolete? Do you ever read posts from normal humans who buy video cards to game (go to Slickdeals and see what the normal people play). For almost all the algos (with Ethash being the outlier) a 3GB 1060 will exceed at GB card as far as % ROI. Mining is a hedge so faster ROI times is the most important consideration - unless... wait for it... he's going to be playing games on the side.

Of course the 6GB will have a higher resale value, but it does not have a better resale value. I've sold over 1200 video cards since 2011. In the Los Angeles area and on Amazon/eBay the easiest to flip are the cards in the sweet spot - and that's the 1060 3GB.

For your information - I did buy 6 6GB cards for my own personal LAN party but for my dedicated farm I use 3GB cards. With the money saved by not having extra 3GB of RAM I bought more ETH when it was about $8.... I'm quit happy I didn't get the 6GB cards.

Not forcing my opinion, just suggesting what plenty of other people would suggest. Spend the $50 to $100 difference (yeah it's up to $100 now) on a new mobo/cpu so he can build out that 6 card rig.

1060 Thread - OP read through this, some good info in there https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1575547.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: