Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 08:45:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain Antminer S9 High HW errors?  (Read 574 times)
NotBiscuit (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 06:19:54 PM

High all. First post. Been mining with a new Antminer S9 and overall so far I'm very happy. I have a question regarding HW errors. I've done some forum and Goolge searching but can't seem to find a clear answer. I apologize in advance if I somehow missed an obvious answer to this in my search.

Here's the current status of my ASIC boards/chains:
6: ~4,600 GH/s, 6,322 HW errors, 71 deg C
7: ~4,500 GH/s, 66 HW errors, 66 deg C
8: ~4,600 GH/s, 77 HW errors, 71 deg C

The miner has been up for 5 days, 19.5 hours and all ASIC status indicators are OK.

I'm sure you can see where I'm headed here. I find it curious if not concerning that the one ASIC chain has almost 100 times as many errors as the other two. I've read that one ASIC chain usually has a higher error rate than the others but haven't see concrete numbers around what's normal. I've also seen mention of specific error rates in terms of % but it's not clear to me which numbers go into that calculation and I don't see it listed in the Miner Status page.

So, should I be worried? How do I calculate the HW error rate for a specific board?

I appreciate your help! Thanks!
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 06:28:16 PM

No you should not be worried. This is totally normal for the s9.

e.g.: I have a machine with a 43 day uptime. One board has 55k hw errors, the second board has 35k hw errors, and the third board has 472 hardware errors.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
the_electronrancher

Activity: 112
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 07:33:00 PM

My november/december batch look the same.  Also board 1 with a lot of errors on several devices.

If you look at the bottom row in the diffA column you will see a percentage.  Yours is probably 0.0001% or so.  This is the number to watch, it is a concern at 0.1% or 0.5% but a large absolute number of HW errors after running a while is not a problem as fanatic26 has said.
NotBiscuit (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 09:42:32 PM

Thanks Guys. The % at the bottom of the DiffA# column is 0.0004%, well below the 0.1% benchmark for concern suggested by the_electronrancher.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: