Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:25:39 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Electricity prices  (Read 2786 times)
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:36:27 PM

Here in Australia we have a fairly complicated mess of privatised and government run energy organisations and their mode of operation varies regionally just to make things extra-confusing.

Where I live my current residential provider charges at $0.29 / kWh with planned +~10% yearly for the next forever, because of distribution network (grid) costs supposedly brought on by an over-saturation of solar installations. This is for the standard tarrif, there exists many other tarrifs that supply time-controlled electricity for pool pumps, bulk hot water heaters, etc. The cost of these can be as low as 50% of the normal $0.29 / kWh tarrif.

There are different ways that providers bill different non-residential customers here. Some commercial spaces are billed directly for their kWh use just like residential. So no luck running your 50 KW scrypt farm there...

Others like restaurants and industry locations can have completely different kinds of agreements. I have seen some where they are billed based on the daily minimum and maximum instantaneous consumption value. As for if this is a good deal or not depends exactly on how clever the person who signed up for that agreement was and how well they know their equipment. This is surely not the kind of thing you would be able to sign up for without being a registered business and perhaps a visit or two from your local energy supplier to see exactly what you needed the power for...

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 02:30:29 PM

Here in Australia we have a fairly complicated mess of privatised and government run energy organisations and their mode of operation varies regionally just to make things extra-confusing.

Where I live my current residential provider charges at $0.29 / kWh with planned +~10% yearly for the next forever, because of distribution network (grid) costs supposedly brought on by an over-saturation of solar installations. This is for the standard tarrif, there exists many other tarrifs that supply time-controlled electricity for pool pumps, bulk hot water heaters, etc. The cost of these can be as low as 50% of the normal $0.29 / kWh tarrif.

There are different ways that providers bill different non-residential customers here. Some commercial spaces are billed directly for their kWh use just like residential. So no luck running your 50 KW scrypt farm there...

Others like restaurants and industry locations can have completely different kinds of agreements. I have seen some where they are billed based on the daily minimum and maximum instantaneous consumption value. As for if this is a good deal or not depends exactly on how clever the person who signed up for that agreement was and how well they know their equipment. This is surely not the kind of thing you would be able to sign up for without being a registered business and perhaps a visit or two from your local energy supplier to see exactly what you needed the power for...
Out of curiosity, are there programs in place by the governments and electricity companies of your area to subsidize (encourage) residents to handle electricity programs themselves.

For example, if you operated a small solar farm, are you permitted to sell the electricity back to "the grid"?
Trillium

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 03:07:00 PM

Yes a large % of houses have solar panels on their roofs, contributing to over saturation of energy during the daylight hours of the day. Apparently this has caused them to massively increase grid infrastructure, passing all the costs onto customers.

giantdragon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 05:31:15 PM

This is surely not the kind of thing you would be able to sign up for without being a registered business and perhaps a visit or two from your local energy supplier to see exactly what you needed the power for...
Is it a problem for miners here? I know some countries have prohibitory barriers to prevent registering new businesses (like security deposit $100K or so), but I will be very surprised if Australia is one of them Shocked
Mota
Legendary

Activity: 804

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 05:45:34 PM

man you guys are hilarious. I pay 0,31-0,33$/kwh in Germany. I would love industrial rates but they start to be cost effective at around 1 Gigawatt -.-
giantdragon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 07:11:42 PM

man you guys are hilarious. I pay 0,31-0,33$/kwh in Germany. I would love industrial rates but they start to be cost effective at around 1 Gigawatt -.-
Small businesses like restaurants also pay >$0.3 per kWh?
Trillium

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 03:29:50 AM

This is surely not the kind of thing you would be able to sign up for without being a registered business and perhaps a visit or two from your local energy supplier to see exactly what you needed the power for...
Is it a problem for miners here? I know some countries have prohibitory barriers to prevent registering new businesses (like security deposit $100K or so), but I will be very surprised if Australia is one of them Shocked

No there is very little to stop anyone from starting a business, I think it costs about $100-300 to set one up and get a ABN (Australian Business Number?). You would have to submit BAS (Business Activity Statement) / Tax statements periodically.

Mota
Legendary

Activity: 804

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 10:55:34 AM

Small businesses like restaurants also pay >$0.3 per kWh?

Yes. Industrial rates start at 100k kwh, and even then the cost is very high. around 0,26$.
Small businesses have to take the standard rates.
aakashkumar

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 11:20:08 AM

India

0-500 kW      = 2INR  ~ 0.03$  (now we Offer from TN government ,so 0-500 = 0INR ~ 0$ for first 500kw) Grin
 500-1000 KW     = 3INR ~ 0.05$
 above 1500 KW  = 4INR ~ 0.07$
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: