Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:37:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will kWh/hash/sec ever go low enough for mass decentralized mining?  (Read 1281 times)
minarchist (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 01:59:02 AM

The way that I see it, the amount of energy it takes to perform a hash per second on a general purpose device (phone, pad, netbook, etc.) is more important than the hash rate of the latest miners.  If the first number becomes very low, then perhaps billions of users could make Bitcoin essentially unbreakable and make a modest amount on the side (when billions of people are using Bitcoin, even a few satoshi a week would be nothing to spit at).  I would much rather see mass decentralization than a scenario wherein Bitcoin is kept afloat by a few hundred (or fewer?) mining centers. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 02:45:26 AM

The way that I see it, the amount of energy it takes to perform a hash per second on a general purpose device (phone, pad, netbook, etc.) is more important than the hash rate of the latest miners.  If the first number becomes very low, then perhaps billions of users could make Bitcoin essentially unbreakable and make a modest amount on the side (when billions of people are using Bitcoin, even a few satoshi a week would be nothing to spit at).  I would much rather see mass decentralization than a scenario wherein Bitcoin is kept afloat by a few hundred (or fewer?) mining centers. 

Centralization will continue until on the Bitcoins are mined.  Better question is what will happen once that occurs.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 02:52:31 AM

I read your post, and I immediately thought of two things:

A) For mass adoption, I would say that USD/MHs would have to improve. I know some people who would want to get into BTC, but don't have thousands or tens of thousands of USD to invest in hardware. Even a Jalapeno is barely in their budget. And the uncertainty that goes along with the current growth of the network, they can't stand not knowing when or even if they will get their money back.

B) The only way I could see power efficiency becoming important is if manufacturers started including Bitcoin hardware inside their equipment without informing their users. Could you imagine if every Dell or HP desktop tower had an ASIC built into the motherboard that mined whenever the computer was on? It wouldn't be much, but when Dell or HP get literally thousands of ASICs mining for them, it can add up. Lets say the chips were capable of a few GH/s, but used less than 1W. No user would every notice 1W increase in usage. An ASIC could be connected to any internet-ready device: switches, modems, routers, computers, cell phones, PlayStations or Xboxes, etc. The new PS4 and XB1 both have AMD APUs with a 8-core CPU and a beefy GPU. What if it was built into the firmware that they would mine LTC to a secret pool when you weren't playing a game?

K I'll take off my tin-foil-hat for now. Just some very tired ramblings. Tongue

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
minarchist (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 02:58:35 AM

B) The only way I could see power efficiency becoming important is if manufacturers started including Bitcoin hardware inside their equipment without informing their users. Could you imagine if every Dell or HP desktop tower had an ASIC built into the motherboard that mined whenever the computer was on? It wouldn't be much, but when Dell or HP get literally thousands of ASICs mining for them, it can add up. Lets say the chips were capable of a few GH/s, but used less than 1W. No user would every notice 1W increase in usage. An ASIC could be connected to any internet-ready device: switches, modems, routers, computers, cell phones, PlayStations or Xboxes, etc. The new PS4 and XB1 both have AMD APUs with a 8-core CPU and a beefy GPU. What if it was built into the firmware that they would mine LTC to a secret pool when you weren't playing a game?

The IP addresses of the mining nodes are recorded (that, and the hash rate increase would be hard to miss).  So how could this be done surreptitiously?
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 11:59:34 PM

The IP addresses of the mining nodes are recorded (that, and the hash rate increase would be hard to miss).  So how could this be done surreptitiously?

It wouldn't need to be. You would get refunds based on your machine's earnings. Pretty good idea. Here' your new XBOX, if you leave it plugged in all the time we'll mail you a cheque every month.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 12:02:35 AM

The IP addresses of the mining nodes are recorded (that, and the hash rate increase would be hard to miss).  So how could this be done surreptitiously?

It wouldn't need to be. You would get refunds based on your machine's earnings. Pretty good idea. Here' your new XBOX, if you leave it plugged in all the time we'll mail you a cheque every month.

Or even better free xbox arcade games, points, special in game items, and other "cool" bonuses.  Call it the xbox lottery.  You get a little bit everyday and randomly some people win more.
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 05:24:30 PM

Gavin thinks that as long as the bitcoin project doesn't fail, we will eventually have hot water heaters with bitcoin miners in them.

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: