Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:19:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help recovering money from Bitcoin 1.0 for Android!  (Read 1287 times)
luv2drnkbr (OP)

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 01:57:26 PM

Ok so I was messing around with Bitcoin 1.0 for Android and also Bitcoin Wallet, and trying to send coins back and forth just to test them out.  For the most part things worked well, except when I was a bit of an impatient dufus, and sent some btc back and forth within a block or two.  The Bitcoin 1.0 app didn't see the transaction, even after a few blocks (and block explorer confirmed that it was put into an earlier block), so I sent the remaining BTC to my Instawallet, quit the app and used Titanium backup to restore the data to a previous time.  I then opened it and tried to re-download the chain, but it's not showing the transaction (or the money sent out to Instawallet).  So now it thinks it has more BTC than the address actually has.  And I can't send out the amount I know it has because the transaction is invalid (since it tries to send too much back to itself).

So is there a way to have it re-scan the block chain?  Or can I somehow get my private key for that address?  Basically, is there any way to recover the btc for that address?  I feel like there should be since the program obviously has to have the private key, but I'm not at ALL tech-savvy enough to know what to look for or how to go about the recovery...

You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitPorium

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 02:01:36 PM

Ok so I was messing around with Bitcoin 1.0 for Android and also Bitcoin Wallet, and trying to send coins back and forth just to test them out.  For the most part things worked well, except when I was a bit of an impatient dufus, and sent some btc back and forth within a block or two.  The Bitcoin 1.0 app didn't see the transaction, even after a few blocks (and block explorer confirmed that it was put into an earlier block), so I sent the remaining BTC to my Instawallet, quit the app and used Titanium backup to restore the data to a previous time.  I then opened it and tried to re-download the chain, but it's not showing the transaction (or the money sent out to Instawallet).  So now it thinks it has more BTC than the address actually has.  And I can't send out the amount I know it has because the transaction is invalid (since it tries to send too much back to itself).

So is there a way to have it re-scan the block chain?  Or can I somehow get my private key for that address?  Basically, is there any way to recover the btc for that address?  I feel like there should be since the program obviously has to have the private key, but I'm not at ALL tech-savvy enough to know what to look for or how to go about the recovery...
is you wallet file in the sd card. Maybe a backup file?
luv2drnkbr (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 02:35:44 PM

I found a "prodnet.wallet" file within the Titanium Backup zip, but I am truly not computer-literate enough to know what to do with that.

makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:45:29 PM

I found a "prodnet.wallet" file within the Titanium Backup zip, but I am truly not computer-literate enough to know what to do with that.
That's almost certainly it. The Bitcoin Android application appears from a very brief glance at the code to use bitcoinj's wallet format which is based on Java serialization, so you could probably get bitcoinj to load it and export your private keys that way - but it'd require some coding.

Also, the developers of the application are not kidding about the "may lose your coins" bit, though you're probably safe.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
luv2drnkbr (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:06:20 PM

Well if anybody knows how to translate the file I found into something useful, please do let me know!  As I said, I'm not at all computer-literate, so I have no idea how to extract the private keys from that (nor would I know how to make a wallet.dat file from the private keys even if I got them!)

Thanks for the help so far guys, I appreciate it!!!

BitPorium

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:11:05 PM

can you just over write the new wallet with the one from the backup.
Also, make a few backups of that.
luv2drnkbr (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 12:00:17 AM

I tried that and tried redownloading the block chain, and a few other things... nope :-(

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: