Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:37:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to buy my first crypto? Fiat to crypto exchanges for beginners.  (Read 145 times)
Craael (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:58:28 PM

Amount of people who would like to start trading or investing in cryptocurrencies is never-ending and growing everyday by thousands. It might be very confusing for beginners to find the best fiat to crypto exchange and that's the reason why I decided to create this simple list. Exchanges are not listed in any specific order.
Please be aware that this is not a complete list of all exchanges.
Always chose your exchange carefully and make sure that you're using only trusted and verified exchanges.
Your capital is at risk.

List of fiat to cryptocurrency exchanges:

Bitstamp is one of the oldest and most trusted exchanges in the world, especially in Europe. Well-known for it's high security.
Markets: Fiat to/from Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple
Method of payment: Bank transfer, Debit/Credit card
Fees: Bank transfer SEPA 0%, Bank transfer Wire 0.05%, Debit/Credit card 5%
Transaction time: SEPA 3-5 business days, wire 3-15 business days, Debit/Credit card instant
Disadvantages: Bitstamp is not beginner friendly.

Bitpanda offers the widest selection of payment methods and trading pairs. Most popular exchange in Europe.
Markets: Fiat to/from Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Dash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple
Method of payment: Bank transfer, Debit/Credit card, Neteller, Skrill, Sofort, Giropay, Vouchers, Euro-wallet(SEPA)
Fees: List of fees is not publicly available, 3-5%
Transaction time: Bank transfer 3-5 business days, other payment methods are instant
Disadvantages: High fees that are not available to public review. Available only to European customers.

Coinbase www.coinbase.com
Founded in 2012 and used by over 10 million customers Coinbase is one of the biggest and most popular exchanges in the world.
Offers: Fiat to/from Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin
Method of payment: Bank transfer (SEPA available), Debit/Credit card
Fees: 1.49% for most of the countries when using bank transfer, Debit/Credit card fee is 3.99%. Transfers of less than 200$ are charged flat fee.
Transaction time: Bank transfers 3-5 business day, debit/credit card transfers are instant
Disadvantages: Recently Coinbase is under fire for their security delays on withdrawals/transfers of both fiat and cryptocurrencies even on verified users.

Gemini www.gemini.com
Gemini is the biggest licensed and registered US cryptocurrency exchange. Gemini is regulated by NYSDFS and meets capitalization, consumer-protection and security requirements.
Markets: Fiat to/from Bitcoin and Ethereum
Method of payment: Bank transfer only
Fees: 0.25% for both sell and buy
Transaction time: Bank transfers usually take between 3-5 business days, in some cases this might take longer due to specific countries regulations.
Disadvantages: Both seller and buyer are paying fees (0.25%). Gemini might be classified as not beginner friendly.

Other fiat to cryptocurrency exchanges:
Kraken - https://www.kraken.com/
eToro - https://www.etoro.com/markets/btc
LocalBitcoins - https://localbitcoins.com/
CEX - https://cex.io/
Paxful - https://paxful.com/
Changelly - https://changelly.com/

I'm always open to critique, if there's anything you dislike in this content or something you'd like to add please comment.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GMule

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 09:07:26 AM

You know what would be good is if you showed if the exchanges were open to new registrations (as you are aiming this for new users).  In addition it would be great if you gave an indication of how long that would take with the exchange too (although I know this one is difficult).  But other than that,  I like the idea of an exchange registery.

▰   SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   ▰
■▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬■
Github   -   Discord   -   Twitter   -   Telegram   -   Get Free Airdrop Now!
coinmaster241

Activity: 672
Merit: 32

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 01:23:34 PM

is it all credible?
there should be concrete examples for new users like me to trust and eventually become very useful information for me.
ThreeForty

Activity: 30

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 01:46:48 PM

I dont see advantages listed, only disadvantages?  Length of operation would be handy as well.
Chamone

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 02:42:43 PM

I've always used coinbase and never had a problem. They have an app too which makes the process very efficient.
Craael (OP)

Activity: 38

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 11:30:07 PM

After posting the list I realised there’s few things missing so i will update the list based on your comments, thanks for feedback! 😉
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: