Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:59:50 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How many ICO's are actually scams? [+real examples?]  (Read 102 times)
popular_vote (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 12:09:11 AM

A lot of people use the term 'scam' when talking about different past, present or future ICO's (and ITO's).

My questions is; which specific past (or current) ICO's are actually scams, and what made them a scam? And what percentage of the total ICO's are scams (estimation)?

Possible 'scam' scenario's, ICO raises money and then:

- The intention was to scam people from the first place, left with all the money
- The project is abandoned without delivering a product
- The coins are never listed on any exchanges (no effort from team)
- Team doesn't hold promises, lack of effort etc..
- More coins are sold than promised, or extra coins are created, coins not burned etc..
- etc..
hoolio

Activity: 273
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 12:18:37 AM

I think the biggest one was Tezos.

Then I know of a few smaller ones that were created just to scam people - karbon, looq and lust.
zoom_rich

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 01:14:26 AM

The problem is not so much scams as in taking the money and leave, but rather that so many ICOs are the forced merger or an idea and blockchain. Random idea, a token that will allow you to rent VHS movies. They can deliver, it will not technically be a scam, but it's just a dev looking for easy money.
machinationus

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 02:53:48 AM

I think the biggest one was Tezos.
Then I know of a few smaller ones that were created just to scam people - karbon, looq and lust.

You clearly forgot about Confido, they were one of the biggest scams out there, but they didn't stole much money, if i am not wrong, it was only $300k, but they did what they wanted to do.. scam they all.

david_019

Activity: 256
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 04:55:15 PM

Uhub. Has a good face orientation for the project but lacks a good developer which is first know how to deal with the future investor. , also as what you already mention that doesn't care for the promises so can't deny the effort.
xenomorphe1

Activity: 798
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 05:18:42 PM

Benebit ICO:
https://news.bitcoin.com/benebit-ico-runner-2-7-million-investor-funds/
BitConnect
There may be certainly more that we didn't hear about.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: