Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:09:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1893-S Morgan Dollar and more cool coins  (Read 2409 times)
Maui (OP)

Activity: 487
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 09:42:22 AM

Found these at a garage sale. According to the seller the males are ikes and the lady is a morgan. They're all "graded" and supposedly real silver. I couldn't manage to finagle them out of their cases though but they sure are nice looking. I'm not a coin collector and the seller didn't seem to be one herself so I probably won't be able to answer questions about lineage or anything specific like that. I paid $50 but I know they're worth more by weight alone.

Input and offers are welcomed.

Click on my trust and select "Untrusted Feedback" for all my ratings.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:24:53 AM

Found these at a garage sale. According to the seller the males are ikes and the lady is a morgan. They're all "graded" and supposedly real silver. I couldn't manage to finagle them out of their cases though but they sure are nice looking. I'm not a coin collector and the seller didn't seem to be one herself so I probably won't be able to answer questions about lineage or anything specific like that. I paid $50 but I know they're worth more by weight alone.

Input and offers are welcomed.

Hey,
First of, not necessarily calling the OP a thief or something. But that Morgan Dollar below is 100% fake. You can even tell by looking at the Eisenhowers (which are real)-the "PCGS" is spaced like that on the Ikes. However, on the Morgan its more like P C G S (more spacing between characters). I work in a coin store and have seen these things often. If you have any further questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Unfortunately its very tough finding the best deal out there. And that is what this is a case of. If you don't believe this would have been the deal of the century, check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=pcgs+au+1893-s+morgan&_sop=12
johnniewalker
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:30:18 AM

Also, the URL for these images is "Craigslist". Not sure what that means...but its never bad to be too safe.
Maui (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:49:50 AM

Also, the URL for these images is "Craigslist". Not sure what that means...but its never bad to be too safe.

I'm also looking for buyers on craigslist. That's very weird for her to throw in a fake with 4 other real coins. Can you give a price quote on the Ikes/Eisenhowers? Also, any clue on how to take these out without damaging the case?

Maui (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:52:26 AM

I can't see what you mean about the Morgan... I do agree it looks like a steal for that price but I don't understand what you mean by the font, it looks the same to me.

xjack

Activity: 539

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 01:26:18 PM

I can't see what you mean about the Morgan... I do agree it looks like a steal for that price but I don't understand what you mean by the font, it looks the same to me.

I can see it.  The coin and slab are 100% bogus.  Font is petite and spacing/proportion sort of odd.  Coin is a crappy cast counterfeit and the proportions of the date are all wrong.  The bold font on the IKEs is correct and the coins look to be also.

Its an $18 thousand coin - you're either scammy or uninformed. 

Either way its illegal to pass or sell that item for so much as .01.  You're already in violation of title 18 just for possession.

xjack - 1xjackDMgJCLn1LDtbgh51DYw6uRgeHVb
Reputation thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=482124.0
xjack

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 01:30:13 PM

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?hdnJumpToLot=1&saleNo=1162%20&lotNo=4062&x=0&y=0

Here's the actual genuine coin that sold for $16k.

Same serial, yet it looks a little different than yours.    Shocked

Maui (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 02:35:09 PM

I can see it.  The coin and slab are 100% bogus.  Font is petite and spacing/proportion sort of odd.  Coin is a crappy cast counterfeit and the proportions of the date are all wrong.  The bold font on the IKEs is correct and the coins look to be also.

Its an $18 thousand coin - you're either scammy or uninformed. 

Either way its illegal to pass or sell that item for so much as .01.  You're already in violation of title 18 just for possession.

To be honest, the slab and coin look real to me. I don't know how you figure the coin in your picture is supposed to be my coin. However, I'm not going to argue with someone that knows their stuff and I'm honestly not too bummed out. I didn't expect to get a $20,000 for $25.

You all keep saying the Ikes are real, how much are those worth then? And if the Morgan is a counterfeit does that mean it's not even  genuine silver?

I'm also not to worried about title 18, I think I'm still going to keep the coin. Who knows, maybe one day the fakes will be as rare as the genuines  Grin!

xjack

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 07:27:45 PM

I don't know how you figure the coin in your picture is supposed to be my coin.

Quite the opposite - your coin is supposed to be the coin in the picture - it's the actor.  That's why it has same serial number; and also why PCGS has a cert verification tool that links to the actual auction data of the coin they certified.

The coin can be tested for silver without removing it from the holder - find someone near you that has an XRF.  Check with the gold buying shops, very few have XRF equipment.  If it's heavy plating, an XRF should pick it up - not always if the operator uses short duration or single spot testing.

The ikes are worth something around $125 as a group - still a good pickup for $25.

Maui (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 12:14:29 AM

Quite the opposite - your coin is supposed to be the coin in the picture - it's the actor.  That's why it has same serial number; and also why PCGS has a cert verification tool that links to the actual auction data of the coin they certified.

The coin can be tested for silver without removing it from the holder - find someone near you that has an XRF.  Check with the gold buying shops, very few have XRF equipment.  If it's heavy plating, an XRF should pick it up - not always if the operator uses short duration or single spot testing.

The ikes are worth something around $125 as a group - still a good pickup for $25.

Ok last question. Can I still sell the Morgan for silver or is it still illegal to do even that?

johnniewalker
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 12:17:14 AM

You are 100% right. And anyone who still has any doubt that the coin is fake, I'm sorry but you are literally an idiot. Did you see the link of the REAL coin with the SAME SERIAL NUMBER?

These things are dangerous and I have been seeing more and more in the shop I work at. If people have any doubts about a coin's authenticity, its gone with the wind as soon as they see its graded by a company as reputable as PCGS (I see NGC fakes too, but not as often). But that just shows you how good the Chinese are. We have a list of websites that sell similar items. We're putting it together and submitting it-we have successfully shut down sites in the past. There are countless sites that you can buy a 1oz gold coin in a PCGS and/or NGC holder from! I've seen 100oz Engelhard bars for $40 something dollars.

The bottom line: do your due-diligence!
Fortunately, in one sense the Chinese are dumb. Basically all of the fake coins we see, especially the one "graded" and in bogus PCGS/NGC slabs are like...multiple thousands of dollars worth coins. Like this one-16k I think was mentioned? If something seems too good to be true, it is.

There is no one in this case that we can definitively point the finger at. If it was the OP (if not, obviously no offense)-you failed. I take it upon myself to be a "whistle-blower" on things like this, where I have knowledge someone else may not. I hope others do the same.
johnniewalker
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 12:21:47 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2013, 12:34:59 AM by johnniewalker

Ok last question. Can I still sell the Morgan for silver or is it still illegal to do even that?
The simple existence of the thing is illegal. Selling it is illegal. So, if you tried to do so on this site, you would be breaking forum rules. If you truly are the victim here, you'll destroy the thing and chalk it up to a small loss-outweighed by the Ikes you said you got anyway. If you did post it maliciously, I'm sure you can find someone willing to buy it. I suggest Silk Road. But, the buyer would have to be not only malicious, but an idiot-this is a very low-level fake, and the coin it supposedly holds is worth 16k, with public information of the sale of the REAL coin its supposed to be online (with matching serial numbers).

I'd be willing to bet A LOT that this coin is not 90% silver (like a real Morgan). At the very most, it might be silver plated. If thats the case, the value of the silver you're talking about is less than $1. If by some ODD case the coin is 90% silver, I recommend buying a MAPP gas torch (available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc), a small crucible or something like it that can handle high temperatures, and melting it. Then you'll have a chunk of 90% silver-and it will be legal. But the cost of materials (MAPP torch, crucible) would probably be more than the value of the silver even if it is 90%.
Maui (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 12:48:29 AM

All the feedback is much appreciated. I'm going to try to take the Morgan to a shop and see if they're willing to melt it down for me. As for the Ikes, they are for sale too. Why is no one interested?

johnniewalker
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 01:11:31 AM

All the feedback is much appreciated. I'm going to try to take the Morgan to a shop and see if they're willing to melt it down for me. As for the Ikes, they are for sale too. Why is no one interested?
Probably because you come off as a scammer. I don't know if you are playing dumb (though I heavily suspect it-again if not, I apologize), but you definitely DO NOT want to take the coins out of their slabs.
Maui (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 03:46:28 AM

Probably because you come off as a scammer. I don't know if you are playing dumb (though I heavily suspect it-again if not, I apologize), but you definitely DO NOT want to take the coins out of their slabs.

You're no longer making much sense. You guys said the Ike's were real, where then does an issue arise from? Why do I not want to take the coins out of their labs? I don't know why you're being vague.

johnniewalker
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 10:11:59 AM

You're no longer making much sense. You guys said the Ike's were real, where then does an issue arise from? Why do I not want to take the coins out of their labs? I don't know why you're being vague.
OK, you want to play really stupid (or just not getting it). You NEVER take coins out of a slab (holder) if they are graded by NGC or PCGS-it "increases" value. I think a monkey knows that.

EDIT: truly graded
Bitweasil

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 02:31:50 PM

Why is no one interested?

Because I don't deal with people who don't have any idea what they're doing, usually. Smiley

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
Maui (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 12:44:59 PM

OK, you want to play really stupid (or just not getting it). You NEVER take coins out of a slab (holder) if they are graded by NGC or PCGS-it "increases" value. I think a monkey knows that.

EDIT: truly graded

You have a bad attitude. You honestly could have just said this from the beginning. Anyway, I'm still selling the Ikes, if anyone objects to those speak now or hold your peace. A simple look at my trust will confirm I have no interest in pulling anything slick.

Bitweasil

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 02:33:37 PM

I paid $50 but I know they're worth more by weight alone.

Do you have any idea if the others are fakes or not?  Typically people don't sell silver under spot unless they're trying to pass off fakes as the real thing.  I wouldn't buy silver under spot (and have refused to do so before) unless I could test it personally before sale with acid and other methods.

You've got sealed coin-like silver colored things, one of which is clearly a fake, and the rest sealed up such that they can't be tested.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
Maui (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 05:08:17 PM

I paid $50 but I know they're worth more by weight alone.

Do you have any idea if the others are fakes or not?  Typically people don't sell silver under spot unless they're trying to pass off fakes as the real thing.  I wouldn't buy silver under spot (and have refused to do so before) unless I could test it personally before sale with acid and other methods.

You've got sealed coin-like silver colored things, one of which is clearly a fake, and the rest sealed up such that they can't be tested.

Didn't you previously state you didn't want to deal with me? As far as I'm concerned the people here all seem to agree the Ike's are real.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: