Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:13:48 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU Mining Rig Issues  (Read 201 times)
nkfry (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 03:16:08 AM

Hey all, new guy here and having a hell of a time trying to get my cards to read from the PCI-e slots with USB risers. I'm running an MSI Z270 M5 and currently just two Gigabyte Radeon RX570s because the other two aren't being recognized. I've gone into the BIOS and enabled the "mining" option in the PCI section, I've tried multiple risers in multiple PCI slots, and I've even tried the PCIe jumper wire, and just can't get the cards to recognize on the risers.

This is the first time I'm getting back into computer building since high school about 10 years ago, so any help would be appreciated. I've heard of people having issues running multiple cards on both 16x and 1x on Windows 10, but is there something stupid that I'm missing here? I've spent hours trying different ways of making this work and have come to a dead end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick
the_electronrancher

Activity: 112
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 04:47:38 AM

Oh yeah, windows sucks for GPU rigs.  Also, you need to post in the altcoin section.

Plug in one GPU riser at a time.  First one in slot 0, the long slot closest to the CPU.  Power all the way up and wait for stupid windows to find it, load the driver, and have it show up happily in device manager.  Then power down and add the next, I suggest the 1x slot next to slot 0.  Power up again, and let that one be detected.  Continue for the rest of the cards.  If any don't come alive, it's a riser or PCIE plug problem.  Swap to a new riser and replug all power cables.  Make sure GPU is properly seated in the riser and the USB cable is not loose in the shitty riser USB jack.  If that don't work, put the GPU into the mobo and make sure the GPU isn't bad.

Sometimes, you can stuff all slots and just wait a half an hour to let windows realize there are many new devices.  But if it doesn't already know/have the driver for that type of device it can be a real cluster.  Also, windows cannot run headless - it will not load the driver if a monitor or dummy plug is not plugged in to at least one of each type of device.  

I preferred ethos to avoid these woes, but I do understand the appeal of windows.  Until you try it, that is.  LOL.
nkfry (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 01:51:02 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try after work today.

I loaded the drivers last night, even reloaded them for shits and gigs, and still wasn't picking up the card.

So you are saying that I will have to plug my monitor into the card I'm trying to get the computer to pick up? Or is it fine being in one of the already installed GPUs? They're all Radeon Rx570s, so I would assume the drivers for one would work for them all?..
ukjames007

Activity: 27

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 02:15:39 PM

did you read the guide, it says first set up the board and bios, then install windows
i just went and plugged all in and then set up windows and was ok
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 02:19:26 PM

did you read the guide, it says first set up the board and bios, then install windows
i just went and plugged all in and then set up windows and was ok
windows is the best os for rigs, I got 30
BennyT

Activity: 259
Merit: 108

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 02:25:30 PM

MSI boards are like divas. Go one at a time. Sometimes it’s the slot combinations. I stopped using those boards .. the Asus boards are plug and play. Never have an issue.
ukjames007

Activity: 27

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:34:59 PM

MSI boards are like divas. Go one at a time. Sometimes it’s the slot combinations. I stopped using those boards .. the Asus boards are plug and play. Never have an issue.

i had 2 gone with the lan in a month, so glad i moved away, so far no real problems with this board.
i had to get my credit comapny to get my money back as they CLAIMED nothing wrong with second board.
R0land

Activity: 208
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:45:09 PM

Hey all, new guy here and having a hell of a time trying to get my cards to read from the PCI-e slots with USB risers. I'm running an MSI Z270 M5 and currently just two Gigabyte Radeon RX570s because the other two aren't being recognized. I've gone into the BIOS and enabled the "mining" option in the PCI section, I've tried multiple risers in multiple PCI slots, and I've even tried the PCIe jumper wire, and just can't get the cards to recognize on the risers.

This is the first time I'm getting back into computer building since high school about 10 years ago, so any help would be appreciated. I've heard of people having issues running multiple cards on both 16x and 1x on Windows 10, but is there something stupid that I'm missing here? I've spent hours trying different ways of making this work and have come to a dead end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Increase the PCI-E latency.
nkfry (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 06:09:24 PM

Okay, so some time later here. I've still been having issues with my Nicehash freezing after a period of time between 15 minutes and 6 hours, it all depends on how the computer feels that day.

I've wiped the drive clean, reinstalled Windows, MSI drivers, and tried to reinstall the Gigabyte Aorus graphics hardware, and still I am unable to get the Aorus hardware to pull up in VGA mode to adjust factory clock speed and LED color on the GPUs, it opens up for the Gaming Box, and I cannot change the settings.

Currently I have the latency set at 96, and PCI on Gen 2, all 4 cards running on powered risers, and still am having freezing issues. I even tried running Claymore and after a few hours the computer froze. I have the setup in the basement with a fan on it, and while running in Claymore temps were about 64*C and about 72*C on Nicehash, with a hashrate 6H lower on Claymore than Nicehash (for whatever reason).

One thing I'm wondering is; am I trying to run too much on a 1000w PSU?
MSI Z270 M5
Cooler Master CPU fan
4 Radeon RX570
HDD
4 Powered risers

I would find it hard to believe that I'm running out of power on this setup, because I've seen 6 GPU setups on 1000w PSU's (while not recommended) but I've seen it.
R0land

Activity: 208
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 07:00:38 PM

Okay, so some time later here. I've still been having issues with my Nicehash freezing after a period of time between 15 minutes and 6 hours, it all depends on how the computer feels that day.

I've wiped the drive clean, reinstalled Windows, MSI drivers, and tried to reinstall the Gigabyte Aorus graphics hardware, and still I am unable to get the Aorus hardware to pull up in VGA mode to adjust factory clock speed and LED color on the GPUs, it opens up for the Gaming Box, and I cannot change the settings.

Currently I have the latency set at 96, and PCI on Gen 2, all 4 cards running on powered risers, and still am having freezing issues. I even tried running Claymore and after a few hours the computer froze. I have the setup in the basement with a fan on it, and while running in Claymore temps were about 64*C and about 72*C on Nicehash, with a hashrate 6H lower on Claymore than Nicehash (for whatever reason).

MSI Z270 M5
Cooler Master CPU fan
4 Radeon RX570
HDD
4 Powered risers

I would find it hard to believe that I'm running out of power on this setup, because I've seen 6 GPU setups on 1000w PSU's (while not recommended) but I've seen it.

The PSU has enough power.
I think the risers or the power plug of the risers are bad. I hope you use the molex-power-plug or PCI-E plug for the risers.
One sata plug is not enough for the riser, you need two.
nkfry (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:16:18 PM

MSI Z270 M5
Cooler Master CPU fan
4 Radeon RX570
HDD
4 Powered risers

The PSU has enough power.
I think the risers or the power plug of the risers are bad. I hope you use the molex-power-plug or PCI-E plug for the risers.
One sata plug is not enough for the riser, you need two.

I'm running power to each of the 4 risers independently from the PSU, and running power to the GPUs from the PSU as well, nothing is powered off of SATA.

When it was running before it would freeze up it would run about 1.080k SOL on Equihash and about 23H per card on Hashimoto, and it said my daily profit was just over $10, which again doesn't seem right for a 4 GPU unit.

I've seen enough people with riser issues with the cheaper risers that it might be worth buying new risers, but I've also seen enough people without issues on the same risers as me and it feels like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.
nkfry (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 01:01:22 PM

I’ve ordered a new set of risers, they should be here tomorrow, but in the meantime I reinstalled Windows, again, and did so again without saving any previous settings or programs. So starting fresh, again, I still can’t get Aorus Graphics engine to load and open right, it either doesn’t detect VGA cards or it force closes when you click the icon in the tray.

But since I’ve done all of this I started the computer on NiceHash again last night running CryptoNight (old version) on Claymore and I’ve been running steady at about 2.5KH without bios mods. My daily profit still only shows about $6.85, I know the price of BTC is down right now, but damn..

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: