Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 09:41:11 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: abandoning bitcoin-qt wallet.dat to a different wallet  (Read 856 times)
wirmola (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 01:42:47 PM

Hi..

How can I convert or use my wallet.dat file in multibit?
My problem with bitcoin-qt is my internet connection and download time for the blocks.
 Looks like multibit would work much faster.
 Is there any other client you would recommend?

Best regards.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 03:17:35 PM

Hi..

How can I convert or use my wallet.dat file in multibit?
My problem with bitcoin-qt is my internet connection and download time for the blocks.
 Looks like multibit would work much faster.
 Is there any other client you would recommend?

Best regards.

Is there a reason that you need to continue to use the same addresses?  Why not just send the entire balance from your Bitcoin-Qt wallet to the new address at your MultiBit wallet and then stop using the Bitcoin-Qt wallet (perhaps store the wallet.dat file from the Bitcoin-Qt wallet somewhere safe just in case someone re-uses an address you gave them in the past)?
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 05:29:39 PM

Yep, that's the right way to do it. Just send the money from one to the other.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 06:09:55 PM

This is just one of many reasons why its a bad idea to allow people to have an expectation that they can re-use an address to send you bitcoins.

If everyone already expects to need to get a new address from you each time they send you bitcoins, then abandoning an old set of addresses becomes insignificant.
wirmola (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 06:59:41 PM

Cool sry my wrong, I should have explained that I have payments coming to this wallet for a few years time every week. I think :/ otherwise I would have just done as said earlier:)
wirmola (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 07:03:00 PM

And the worst part is I am not sure where all the payments are coming from, some of them might be since bitcoinica time or when GLBSE was running..
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 07:05:10 PM

Cool sry my wrong, I should have explained that I have payments coming to this wallet for a few years time every week. I think :/ otherwise I would have just done as said earlier:)

Use pywallet and extract the private keys.  You can then import them into another wallet.  You don't need to import all the keys just the ones you get regular payments on.   I would save a copy of the encrypted wallet.dat and an encrypted copy of the pywallet dump offline just to be safe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: