Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:25:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thought experement, USD withdrawless exchange?  (Read 1688 times)
alan2here (OP)

Activity: 1778
Merit: 504

WorkAsPro

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 02:15:56 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2013, 02:35:46 PM by alan2here

If an exchange didn't alow the withdraw of USD directly, only storing it and converting USD/BTC at around the market price. Such that to withdraw USD entirely it must convert to BTC and sent to another exchange to convert back and withdraw, maybe even with a withdraw option that automates this process such that it looks like a direct withdraw.

Then you wouldn't expect the cost of BTC to increase endlessly on this exchange, at a faster rate than others, would you?

████     ████     ████              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████    █████▄    ███               ████▀▀▀▀███▄
 ███▄   ██▀███   ████   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ████    ▀███
 ▀███  ▄██  ██   ███                ████    ▄███
  ███  ██▀  ███ ▄███    ▄▄▄▄▄▄      ███████████▀
  ▀██▄ ██   ▀██ ███     ██████      ████
   ██████    ██████    ███  ███     ████
   ▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ▀▀▀▀
                      ███    ███
                     ████████████
                    ▄███      ███▄
                    ████      ████
....WorkAsPro...
First 
Crypto-powered
Freelance Service
....NO KYC...
0% Commission
....Fiverr Alternative...
Blockchain Voting System
    ▄█▀█▄
    █▄ ▄█
     ▀▀▀
▄▄  ▄███▄         █
██ ███ ██        █▀
██ ███ ██       ▄█
██ ███ ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
██ ▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 █▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀█
▄█▀       ▀█▄ ▀█
▀▀         ▀▀  ▀▀
....Join us now...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 03:39:48 PM

If an exchange didn't alow the withdraw of USD directly, only storing it and converting USD/BTC at around the market price. Such that to withdraw USD entirely it must convert to BTC and sent to another exchange to convert back and withdraw, maybe even with a withdraw option that automates this process such that it looks like a direct withdraw.

Then you wouldn't expect the cost of BTC to increase endlessly on this exchange, at a faster rate than others, would you?

That's not an exchange.  That's a bucket shop.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
alan2here (OP)

WorkAsPro

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 07:01:17 PM

I've looked up 'bucket shop' and it dosn't seem like the same thing, Bets of Bitcoin seems like a better match for the turm.

Not that the label is of great importance, this I think is usefull to think about at the moment because of the situation at Gox. Are there non obvious consequences of a situation as I describe, removed from Gox, and also if Gox becomes this sort of service instead if eventually it gives up and has to, maybe rebrands.

I'd be happy with a service like this as long as their were also many other full exchanges available.

███    ███
                     ████████████
                    ▄███      ███▄
                    ████      ████
....WorkAsPro...
First 
Crypto-powered
Freelance Service
....NO KYC...
0% Commission
Blockchain Voting System
    ▄█▀█▄
    █▄ ▄█
     ▀▀▀
▄▄  ▄███▄         █
██ ███ ██        █▀
██ ███ ██       ▄█
██ ███ ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
██ ▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 █▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀█
▄█▀       ▀█▄ ▀█
▀▀         ▀▀  ▀▀
....Join us now...
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 07:18:25 PM

I've looked up 'bucket shop' and it dosn't seem like the same thing, Bets of Bitcoin seems like a better match for the turm.

Not that the label is of great importance, this I think is usefull to think about at the moment because of the situation at Gox. Are there non obvious consequences of a situation as I describe, removed from Gox, and also if Gox becomes this sort of service instead if eventually it gives up and has to, maybe rebrands.

I'd be happy with a service like this as long as their were also many other full exchanges available.

It is the same thing. Customers are trusting an exchange to hold [the value of] USD when it holds no USD equivalents. Would you want your funds on deposit at an exchange that backs their USD with bitcoins? What happens when the price of bitcoin crashes, and the exchange holds none of the USD that their customers have on deposit?

Here is a scenario: Exchange holds 10,000 coins and $0 on deposit in customer funds. Price of bitcoins drops 50%. Customers sold into USD on the way down, and now want to cash back into bitcoins. However, now that the price has dropped 50%, the exchange can no longer cover 100% of the USD equivalent in bitcoins. Do you see why this is a problem? They are straight up gambling with customer funds. USD must = USD.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 08:21:19 PM

It is the same thing. Customers are trusting an exchange to hold [the value of] USD when it holds no USD equivalents. Would you want your funds on deposit at an exchange that backs their USD with bitcoins? What happens when the price of bitcoin crashes, and the exchange holds none of the USD that their customers have on deposit?

Here is a scenario: Exchange holds 10,000 coins and $0 on deposit in customer funds. Price of bitcoins drops 50%. Customers sold into USD on the way down, and now want to cash back into bitcoins. However, now that the price has dropped 50%, the exchange can no longer cover 100% of the USD equivalent in bitcoins. Do you see why this is a problem? They are straight up gambling with customer funds. USD must = USD.

Right.  They either have to hold USD or hedge on an exchange that holds USD.  Otherwise, it simply won't work except maybe temporarily if they are very lucky.

2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:51:42 PM

If they would allow shorts, they could try to match the amount of long positions with the amount of short positions. This would make the exchange indifferent to changes in the exchange rate, although they would need collateral from those who want to short. There is still a risk of a big short squeeze where the short positions can't be covered fast enough though.
alan2here (OP)

WorkAsPro

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 12:47:03 PM

Not alowing withdraw of USD, deposit would still work.

███    ███
                     ████████████
                    ▄███      ███▄
                    ████      ████
....WorkAsPro...
First 
Crypto-powered
Freelance Service
....NO KYC...
0% Commission
Blockchain Voting System
    ▄█▀█▄
    █▄ ▄█
     ▀▀▀
▄▄  ▄███▄         █
██ ███ ██        █▀
██ ███ ██       ▄█
██ ███ ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
██ ▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 █▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀█
▄█▀       ▀█▄ ▀█
▀▀         ▀▀  ▀▀
....Join us now...
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 12:07:02 AM

Why would sellers want to use this market?

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1007

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 12:34:01 AM

There is another possibility. Let's say that the exchange's bank account has been frozen by the bank. So essentially it does not have any USD available (those who have USD at exchange only have a checkbook number in their account). But the exchange do not tell their customer, only give it a very long delay for the withdraw (so they can actively open up new account in other banks and take new deposits to payback the old customer's withdraw). Since the withdraw is too slow, the only exit will be bitcoin, that will push the bitcoin price up

So those banks who tried to freeze the account of exchange (that is the only thing they can do to harm an exchange) will indirectly contributing to support the bitcoin price, thus creating a one way road for fiat money to flow into bitcoin, and a rising bitcoin price will reduce the withdraw pressure and attract more buyers

On the seller's side, they are not willing to sell coins on an exchange that can not withdraw, so less and less coin will be supplied on the exchange, that will also help to raise the exchange price of coins

adamstgBit
Legendary

Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2013, 12:39:48 AM

short bitcoin with truly fake USD, lol nice.  Tongue

samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 10:31:54 PM

Why would sellers want to use this market?

For selling and waiting to buy more Bitcoin when the price drops.

Then withdraw the Bitcoin and store until you're ready to sell again.

I suspect a lot of people are never going to need to withdraw the USD they have on the exchanges. Like me they are trading some upswings then selling. Waiting for a reasonable down movement and then doing it again.

I have no plans on cashing out any time soon - it could be years before I make a USD withdrawal, if ever.
alan2here (OP)

WorkAsPro

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:08:55 PM

Exactly! and at that time, if there ever is that time at all, you can do so on another exchange because BTC can still be withdrawn.

███    ███
                     ████████████
                    ▄███      ███▄
                    ████      ████
....WorkAsPro...
First 
Crypto-powered
Freelance Service
....NO KYC...
0% Commission
Blockchain Voting System
    ▄█▀█▄
    █▄ ▄█
     ▀▀▀
▄▄  ▄███▄         █
██ ███ ██        █▀
██ ███ ██       ▄█
██ ███ ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
██ ▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 █▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀█
▄█▀       ▀█▄ ▀█
▀▀         ▀▀  ▀▀
....Join us now...
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 11:31:25 AM

If you cannot exchange, why would you call it an exchange?
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 12:59:27 PM

If you cannot exchange, why would you call it an exchange?

Obviously you can exchange as you can buy / sell fiat for Bitcoin in this scenario you just can't withdraw fiat.
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 11:46:39 PM

This is exactly what you have with gox at the moment, no?

Want to bet against bitcoin? Sell for USD @ gox, wait for the price to fall, then buy back in.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: