Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:11:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just starting out  (Read 619 times)
Kontsnor (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 04:39:33 PM

Hi all, as you might've guessed, I am kind of new to this forum (and bitcoins as well).

I've been trying to earn some bitcoins through the faucets, and other sites, but that is kind of slow.

So I figured I'd join a mining pool, to check how fast that would earn me BTC, and I kind of like how fast it's going. I get around 17.3 MH/s, which is not that much. (It kind of is, considering that it's on my notebook. (It's using a GT630M, so it isn't top notch either.)) So I've been looking at buying me some graphic cards, and buillding a custom mining PC. But I've been reading about Asics, or something? It looks like a couple of USB Sticks specially made for mining, or something? Could someone clear this up for me? I probraly didn't search well enough, sorry if that's the case.

So on to the main question. Which is more profitable? Buying some 7790 cards, or getting some asics. There's no need to worry about power usage, so the only thing I worry about is, what's the best investment, to get as much MH/s (or GH/s) for thebest price.

I know it's not all correct english, but it should be understandable  Tongue

Thanks fellow miners Smiley
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 04:44:35 PM

Hi and welcome.  Smiley

You may be interested in sites like this one:  http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 04:46:51 PM

Definitey ASICS. Good luck turning a profit with GPUs.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
Kontsnor (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 04:59:49 PM

Hi and welcome.  Smiley

You may be interested in sites like this one:  http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

Thanks, it is pretty helpful indeed Smiley

Definitey ASICS. Good luck turning a profit with GPUs.

Yeah, that's why I asked. I only (really) started 3 days ago.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 05:02:54 PM

It's probably not profitable to mine for Bitcoins anymore.
You would be better off buying the Bitcoins on an exchange.
bisbash

Activity: 22

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 05:04:13 PM

Yep, the GPU days are over. Even the best mining cards aren't making a profit. Your card is costing you far more money to run in electricity than you'll make in Bitcoin. You could look at ASICs or mining alt coins but are probably better off buying coins these days.
Kontsnor (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 05:12:59 PM

Yep, the GPU days are over. Even the best mining cards aren't making a profit. Your card is costing you far more money to run in electricity than you'll make in Bitcoin. You could look at ASICs or mining alt coins but are probably better off buying coins these days.

So hypotheticly, the electricity is free, would it be profitable in that case?
Birdy

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 05:14:29 PM

Even then you have to break even with hardware costs and have to spend quite some time on this.
So the answer is...maybe. But probably not worth the effort.
Kontsnor (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 05:22:29 PM

Even then you have to break even with hardware costs and have to spend quite some time on this.
So the answer is...maybe. But probably not worth the effort.

Hmm that's too bad.. Looks like I'm late to the party.

The worst thing is, I've heard about bitcoins a couple of years ago, and I thought it was a scam or something, so I didn't have any interest in it... If only I had known how it would grow...
Birdy

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 05:28:10 PM

The worst thing is, I've heard about bitcoins a couple of years ago, and I thought it was a scam or something, so I didn't have any interest in it... If only I had known how it would grow...

It's the same for most of us, but if Bitcoin really is a success (e.g. taking the same market cap as paypal) there is still plenty of growth ahead.
(Keep in mind there is still a risk of it going to zero though)
batt01

Activity: 279

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 05:36:14 PM

If you just want to get you feet wet, buy a few usb block erupters.  One BE give you about 330 MH/s.
Cost is about .35 BTC. It may not ever make you a profit. difficulty is increasing at a incredible rate.
Currently my BE's only make about 2.45 USD a day. Power consumption is not an issue. I am using a Raspberry PI instead of a PC and it draws only 5 watts.

Kontsnor (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 05:45:12 PM

It's the same for most of us, but if Bitcoin really is a success (e.g. taking the same market cap as paypal) there is still plenty of growth ahead.
(Keep in mind there is still a risk of it going to zero though)

I know that, but when I heard about it, people would still mine using CPU's. So if I would've started mining back then, I would have quite a few BTC right now. That's what annoys me most of all Tongue

If you just want to get you feet wet, buy a few usb block erupters.  One BE give you about 330 MH/s.
Cost is about .35 BTC. It may not ever make you a profit. difficulty is increasing at a incredible rate.
Currently my BE's only make about 2.45 USD a day. Power consumption is not an issue. I am using a Raspberry PI instead of a PC and it draws only 5 watts.

I was thinking about getting the most basic ASIC from butterfly labs (the 5GH/s one), and according to my calculations (at the current difficulty) it should take me 2 to 3 months to break even, assuming the electricity is free. That's one of the reasons I'm interested in buying an ASIC. If someone could confirm that my calculation is even slightly correct, that would be awesome.

edit: Let's say it is 300 dollars (forgot to calculate shipping with it), so I'd say 4 months to break even.
Birdy

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 05:50:12 PM

I was thinking about getting the most basic ASIC from butterfly labs (the 5GH/s one), and according to my calculations (at the current difficulty) it should take me 2 to 3 months to break even, assuming the electricity is free. That's one of the reasons I'm interested in buying an ASIC. If someone could confirm that my calculation is even slightly correct, that would be awesome.

edit: Let's say it is 300 dollars (forgot to calculate shipping with it), so I'd say 4 months to break even.

Butterfly Labs is known for very very delayed shipment, better read up on that before ordering from them.
If you have it now, you might break even. But will you still break even when you finally have the miner in your hands?
Kontsnor (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 05:59:45 PM

Butterfly Labs is known for very very delayed shipment, better read up on that before ordering from them.
If you have it now, you might break even. But will you still break even when you finally have the miner in your hands?

I'm glad I asked... There's more to it then I initially thought.

Thanks for all your help... I might need to take a better look at it, before starting out.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 06:27:02 PM

Welcome. One of the better ways to earn is to think up of an idea that hasn't been realised and turnnit into a business.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: