Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 10:02:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Press Release from BFL regarding the Monarch!  (Read 2897 times)
millsdmb (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 08:35:03 PM

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/8/prweb11035951.htm
--
Butterfly Labs Announces 28nm ASIC Bitcoin Mining Processor
Butterfly Labs announces their 2nd generation ASIC Bitcoin Mining processor in partnership with Global Foundries and their 28nm advanced technology node. The PCIe based Monarch card is the fastest, most power-efficient Bitcoin mining card yet at 600 GH/s and only 350w of power consumption.

Each device will process 600 GH/s @ 350 w of power consumption. The product is being offered at $4,680 US Dollars which makes it the most cost effective miner in the industry. Overland Park, KS (PRWEB) August 21, 2013

Butterfly Labs (BF Labs Inc.), the Kansas based leader in Bitcoin mining technology has announced its 2nd generation ASIC Bitcoin processor - the 4th bitcoin processor in its history. The new chip has been in quiet development for the last six months.

As the first company to introduce a 2nd generation ASIC chip, Butterfly Labs has leveraged its proven design to set an all new high mark in performance for the Bitcoin mining industry.

"We've learned a great deal with our first ASIC. After an initial delay, that processor has been shipping in volume for the past few months and is now powering the majority of the Bitcoin network. For this 28nm version, we were able to use our test bench data to make major optimizations in both speed and efficiency that would otherwise not be possible with a first generation design.” remarked Butterfly Lab’s chief ASIC engineer John Cheng. “Our deep involvement with the engineering team from Global Foundries has further allowed us to maximize our design for their advanced 28 nanometer process."

The first product using the new technology was also announced today. The 'Monarch' is a PCIe card optimized for large scale mining in data centers. Each device will process 600 GH/s @ 350 w of power consumption. The product is being offered at $4,680 US Dollars. This would make it the most powerful & cost effective bitcoin mining card offered by any company in the industry. Initial deliveries of the Monarch are slated to begin in December 2013.

The company is allowing existing customers to transfer any still undelivered back orders to the new higher speed technology, but they note that it would increase the wait time by several months and don't recommend it.

According to Jeff Ownby, Butterfly Labs VP of Marketing, “If employed today, each device would mine approximately 6 bitcoins every 24 hours. At the time of this writing, that's over $600 per day. However, it's important to point out that mining difficulty & bitcoin prices change with great volatility. We can only guarantee the performance specifications of our hardware, not the market value of mining with it."

Butterfly Labs will immediately accept placement in the queue through pre-orders.

To learn more about Butterfly Labs products, visit http://www.butterflylabs.com

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
voxelot

Activity: 265

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 09:03:02 PM

Okay cool.. so they decided to put their new 28nm chip into a way over priced card and give a washy ship date like they did with the 65nm Chips.. When are they going to release the design specs for their "newest" ASIC chip so we don't have to pay their outrageous price for it on a PCB...

And they are not the only company with a Gen 2 28nm ASIC

http://www.cointerra.com/

Would I buy into this after the given history of shipping delays.. and blatant warning when they say you can trade back-orders for this... no.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 09:10:54 PM

--
After an initial delay, that processor has been shipping in volume for the past few months and is now powering the majority of the Bitcoin network.

BULLSHIT !!!
joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:37:48 PM

--
After an initial delay, that processor has been shipping in volume for the past few months and is now powering the majority of the Bitcoin network.

BULLSHIT !!!

Please don't sugar coat it, tell me how you feel!   Grin Grin Grin Grin
n4ru

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 11:00:03 PM

Okay cool.. so they decided to put their new 28nm chip into a way over priced card and give a washy ship date like they did with the 65nm Chips.. When are they going to release the design specs for their "newest" ASIC chip so we don't have to pay their outrageous price for it on a PCB...

Would I buy into this after the given history of shipping delays.. and blatant warning when they say you can trade back-orders for this... no.
CoinTerra is already dead in the water. Even at current prices, this will never ROI UNLESS you get it EARLY December. If you get it even January 1st, you're never making back your money in full.

And we all know how ASIC shipping goes.
DrJoeGrine

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 11:15:00 PM

CoinTerra is already dead in the water. Even at current prices, this will never ROI UNLESS you get it EARLY December. If you get it even January 1st, you're never making back your money in full.

I guess you haven't heard of this little company called Bitfury which is going to be the first company that will honor their timelines.

Inputs.io - 82,000 BTC transferred and counting
If I was helpful please donate to a good cause: 1JEFaauDc7dWGFuuWAWpweJfSjhxdwmD44
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 11:39:17 PM

I guess you haven't heard of this little company called Bitfury which is going to be the first company that will honor their timelines.

Hey now, don't jinx it for their customers !
voxelot

Activity: 265

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 12:33:33 AM

I do have high hopes for bitfury... but have they released documents on their chip design for the community to build boards for?

EDIT* Nvm looks like we can open source bitfury chips =D
flyboy

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 12:44:07 AM

Are you allowed to say you have something new and have been working on it for six months, but have nothing to show?

Why are people throwing their money at this company? they made an announcement. that's it. why trust them?

I'm still waiting on my order from over a year ago...
BTCscraper

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 03:22:47 AM

Since the Monarch is not yet shipping, we can compare it with other products that aren't shipping as well.

The Monarch is NOT the most cost effective product that's coming out.  That would be three products from the xCrowd lineup.  They're both announced for shipping in December (most of the Monarch's sales will definitely NOT ship in December though).

Butterfly Labs Monarch: $4,680 = $7.80 per gh/s
xCrowd Ascraeus: $5,495.35 = $7.33 per gh/s
xCrowd Olympus: $7,992 = $6.66 per gh/s
xCrowd Elysium: $999 = $6.66 per gh/s

Only the claimed power consumption of the Monarch is lower, but nothing is certain until products are shipped.

And for those who want to just get into mining without spending a fortune, the Elysium might be a good entry point.  Unfortunately, no Paypal or CC accepted.

Butterfly Labs has a different interpretation of the FTC Mail Order Rule.  You do not have a refund option with the BFL Monarch no matter how late they ship.
"... In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." -- Albert Einstein
"Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more you sweat, the luckier you get." -- Ray Kroc
millsdmb (OP)

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 03:25:52 AM

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/monarch-discussion/4420-what-monarch-group-order.html#post53432

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
CrashX

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:55:24 AM

Since the Monarch is not yet shipping, we can compare it with other products that aren't shipping as well.

The Monarch is NOT the most cost effective product that's coming out.  That would be three products from the xCrowd lineup.  They're both announced for shipping in December (most of the Monarch's sales will definitely NOT ship in December though).

Butterfly Labs Monarch: $4,680 = $7.80 per gh/s
xCrowd Ascraeus: $5,495.35 = $7.33 per gh/s
xCrowd Olympus: $7,992 = $6.66 per gh/s
xCrowd Elysium: $999 = $6.66 per gh/s

Only the claimed power consumption of the Monarch is lower, but nothing is certain until products are shipped.

And for those who want to just get into mining without spending a fortune, the Elysium might be a good entry point.  Unfortunately, no Paypal or CC accepted.

Have high hope for XCrowd  and the pre-order payment option 100% Protects the Buyer, and I'm talking about Escrow.com   Not John King < Not sure who he is.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 12:28:08 PM

--

BULLSHIT !!!

I raise your BULLSHIT with

BOYCOTT BFL !!!

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 12:53:08 PM

Cheesy

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/monarch-discussion/4463-i-have-dream.html
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 12:57:31 PM

Wink

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/post-sales-customer-service/4456-why-huge-difference-between-singles-jallys-ship-date.html
 Huh
kevinm

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

This is not good for my Chi... Yifu

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 01:04:46 PM

Shirley Manson says.....

peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 06:15:11 PM

Holy fucking shit.
Bicknellski

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:43:54 AM

6 months later...

Nope nothing.

No Monarch.

Competition is shipping 1 TH/s units for as low as $1.57 per gh/s for a self contained miner air cooled including shipping tomorrow. BFL still after 15 months of development has no working miners.

BFL FORUM

Code:
 Quote Originally Posted by BFL_Josh  

Yes, I would like to change it, but I have a sneaking suspicion if I have it
changed now people will pitch a fit about false advertising or something.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm open to arguments about this.

Code:
 Quote Originally Posted by BFL_Josh  

If you order now, I would not expect you to take delivery of your unit until
sometime in February.

Code:
Quote Originally Posted by Captain 

Then seriously, why are you manufacturing this Josh?

Even conservative difficulty inflation projections say that any units
plugged in on January 1st or later will not reach ROI. They are net
money losers. And not a little bit. Why are you even shipping this?
Just shut down the damn line and stop trying to trick people into
paying for something that will not be remotely profitable.

Do you dispute the fact that Monarchs will not earn their money back
if plugged in after January 1? Please tell people whether I am making that up...

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Bicknellski

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 05:02:23 PM

05-19-2014, 01:55 PM #46
sbogovac  

Code:
But the discussion is anyhow - as already pointed out - descended into semantics. 

If I look at it from a practical point of view and calculate the return on a 600Gh/s Monarch
that "theoretically" is mining for me "right now" I would make the following assumptions:

- 15% difficulty increases (reality is; with the new miners coming online this will be more
   in the 20+% range, but OK); and,

- No price change in BTC (which is pure theory, I know; but hey, let's use it "for reference"...)

> in (the rest of) 2014, this 1 600Gh/s Monarch would make me BTC 3.15817791 or $ 1389,57; and,
> for the whole of 2015 (still disregarding power costs!) it would make BTC 0,23391404 or $ 102,92.

So - please - could someone explain this eternal optimist how exactly these Monarch cards will ROI
(let alone make a profit) in any real world scenario...

While Slok and Inaba debate customers on what exponential means in the Monarch thread no one answers the real question.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: