Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:34:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sharing wallet and block database on a home network?  (Read 921 times)
cbuchner1 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 07:01:15 PM

Can bitcoin clients running on several home PCs get access to the same wallet and transaction database via a fileshare?
I assume the home network is properly secured.

I want the same wallet on all my PCs and I do not want to re-download 135000 blocks on every single one of them...

BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SeriousWorm

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 07:31:30 PM

You can just copy the block chain (.dat files), but I don't think it's advisable for multiple clients to access the same .dat files at the same time, they'll probably corrupt it.

I'm not sure about the wallet.dat though. In any case I'm pretty sure that you can access the same files with one client at a time (open 1st bitcoin client on 1st pc, close it, open 2nd client on 2nd pc, close it, etc.).
ellipsis

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 07:37:11 PM

Can bitcoin clients running on several home PCs get access to the same wallet and transaction database via a fileshare?
Bad idea. Smiley

I want the same wallet on all my PCs and I do not want to re-download 135000 blocks on every single one of them...
Clients or servers? Clients can access your single server with JSON. If you want more servers, you can either copy the block chain database, the wallet (really not a good idea, either Smiley), or point new installations to your existing local server. They will download locally from that one.
Tim the Magician

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 09:16:21 PM

Clients or servers? Clients can access your single server with JSON. If you want more servers, you can either copy the block chain database, the wallet (really not a good idea, either Smiley), or point new installations to your existing local server. They will download locally from that one.

I agree.  You should run one instance as a server and have all your mining clients connect over the network.  I am doing this myself (although I only have 1 mining rig so far) my 3 GPUs each connect to the server over my local network.  I did this because of that AMD CPU @ 100% issue.  By moving the Bitcoin server off the mining rig I seem to have better performance and I am ready to scale up if I decide to add additional rigs.

Also, I’m not exactly sure how the work gets allocated to the GPUs but it seems like copies of the same Bitcoin server running on each rig won’t be able to coordinate work division between all your GPUs so you could end up with wasted hashes.
ellipsis

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 09:45:35 PM

Also, I’m not exactly sure how the work gets allocated to the GPUs but it seems like copies of the same Bitcoin server running on each rig won’t be able to coordinate work division between all your GPUs so you could end up with wasted hashes.
If they are separate servers, each having a unique wallet, there would be no duplicate work as the block chains will be different on each server.
Tim the Magician

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 10:40:41 PM

If they are separate servers, each having a unique wallet, there would be no duplicate work as the block chains will be different on each server.

Right,  but he wanted to copy or fileshare his wallet to each server so they would all be running with the same one..

cbuchner1 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 10:42:08 PM

I have no intention to mine, but rather I want to spend the bitcoins in my wallet. And it should not matter on which PC I am logged in. I want access to the same wallet.

ellipsis

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 11:07:09 PM

I have no intention to mine, but rather I want to spend the bitcoins in my wallet. And it should not matter on which PC I am logged in. I want access to the same wallet.
It's a bad idea, anyway. You really should use the JSON API sendfrom or sendtoaddress calls.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: