Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:25:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: In which camp do you belong?
Moral relativist and libertarianist - 7 (36.8%)
Not moral relativist but libertarianist - 4 (21.1%)
Moral relativist but not libertarianist - 4 (21.1%)
Neither moral relativist nor libertarian - 4 (21.1%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Moral relativism and libertarianism compatible?  (Read 3496 times)
im3w1l (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 07:30:16 PM

I get the impression that libertarianists think that there is one and only one correct viewpoint. Am I right in this observation?

Personally I'm morally relativist but not libertarianist

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 07:33:55 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2011, 08:46:50 PM by AyeYo

They are of the belief that there is one correct viewpoint and it is their own.  So your observation is correct.  Their worldview is absolutely not compatible with moral relativism.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 08:40:22 PM

I get the impression that libertarianists think that there is one and only one correct viewpoint. Am I right in this observation?

No viewpoint is true or false because those type of statements are personal opinions and personal opinions are neither true nor false.

Also, we're called "libertarians", not "libertarianists".
david4dev

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 08:55:37 PM

They are of the believe that there is one correct viewpoint and it is their own.  So your observation is correct.  Their worldview is absolutely not compatible with moral relativism.

This is an unfair generalisation of libertarians. Some libertarians think that their view is the only correct one but not all of us do. I'm sure the same could be said for some authoritarians and some people in between.

I am a libertarian and I wouldn't go as far as to say I am a moral relativist. I believe I am right on the whole about moral issues but I accept that I may be wrong and keep an open mind to other viewpoints. I also acknowledge that there are many difficult grey areas in morality.
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 258

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 10:32:39 PM

They are of the believe that there is one correct viewpoint and it is their own.  So your observation is correct.  Their worldview is absolutely not compatible with moral relativism.

This is an unfair generalisation of libertarians. Some libertarians think that their view is the only correct one but not all of us do. I'm sure the same could be said for some authoritarians and some people in between.

I am a libertarian and I wouldn't go as far as to say I am a moral relativist. I believe I am right on the whole about moral issues but I accept that I may be wrong and keep an open mind to other viewpoints. I also acknowledge that there are many difficult grey areas in morality.

I often find this to be the case. Libertarians are generally quite stubborn in their personal views but far less prone to calling for the muzzling of opinions that they personally see as harmful. They have a personal constitution that is strong yet are less prone to propose one-size-fits-all social policies as most believe in self-determination over moral absolutism.

The trend is most definitely not universal, though. I have met a number of modern objectivists that are quite absolutist and unwilling to accept any level of dissenting opinion on religious or economic issues.
im3w1l (OP)

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 10:41:30 PM

I'm sorry if my OP was misunderstood. I don't mean that libertarianists are close minded. It is of course perfectly possible to believe in an absolute moral, while still being open as to what exactly that absolute moral is.
What I want to know is if you think that there is a true moral "out there" for us to find, or if it doesn't.
vforvendetta

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 07:17:40 AM

I'm very open minded as to what people want to consider 'moral' - as long as it doesn't hurt me or someone else I'm willing to live and let live. I don't consider myself a moral relativist, though, as common use these days tends to imply one would accept something as backwards as Sharia under the banner of being 'relativist' and 'tolerant'.
LokeRundt

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 07:25:30 AM

"good" "bad" "moral" "just" "should". . .all meaningless to me.   Imma be over here doing my thing, don't come 'round if you're gonna be an ass

Hippy Anarchy
*shrug*
LastBattle

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 07:46:07 AM

Well, libertarianism advocates individual choice, so in that sense we are moral relativists.

On the other hand, there are no circumstances in which a consistent libertarian can make concessions regarding liberty or about the rights of individuals (as in, opposing statism), so in that sense libertarians are incapable of being relativists.

You're standing on a flagstone running with blood, alone and so very lonely because you can't choose but you had to

I take tips to: 14sF7NNGJzXvoBcfbLR6N4Exy8umCAqdBd
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 12:41:12 AM

There really isn't any one theoretical foundation for Libertarian views, and not all Libertarians rest their views on a theoretical foundation anyway.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
lemonginger

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 01:00:25 AM

There really isn't any one theoretical foundation for Libertarian views, and not all Libertarians rest their views on a theoretical foundation anyway.

True, as a spectrum. But I think for many AnCaps and Right Libertarians, their views come from an axiomatic understanding of the individual and property. This is not a good/bad or right/wrong thing, but there is a normative assumption at some point to build the rest of the philosophy around. The same is true of most (all?) political philosophies. Not sure I can think of any that don't rest somewhere on "Let X be equal to" declarations.
Anonymous

July 13, 2011, 01:09:15 AM

Libertarian ideals allow for the further progression of social morality through the natural selection of laws, in a preferably competitive political environment. It's inherently relativist.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 01:29:24 AM

Libertarian ideals allow for the further progression of social morality through the natural selection of laws, in a preferably competitive political environment. It's inherently relativist.

Darwinism applied to the legal system huh? Yeah, that's a fair description.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Anonymous

July 13, 2011, 01:41:25 AM

Darwinism applied to the legal system huh? Yeah, that's a fair description.
I accept it as the ideal form of progression with no remorse. Natural selection has been excellent in constructing sturdy sentient beings along with other sustaining organisms. To deny its validity as a method of construction would be irrational.
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 07:26:46 PM

I'm probably best described as a moral subjectivist and a libertarian.
J180

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 10:03:43 PM

I find this very difficult to comprehend. What drives the natural selection?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 10:11:53 PM

What drives biological natural selection?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Anonymous

July 13, 2011, 10:12:00 PM

Failure/reduction of entities that do not meet people's desires by the means of people denying them their support whether it be monetary or otherwise.
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 10:33:54 PM

Isn't moral relativism just an effect derived from moral subjectivism?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 10:36:37 PM

Failure/reduction of entities that do not meet people's desires by the means of people denying them their support whether it be monetary or otherwise.

In other words, entities which fail to compete, starve.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: