Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:19:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TossBits.com - toss a coin like game with variable payout. Provably fair  (Read 1595 times)
xyu (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 02:54:00 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2013, 03:11:17 PM by xyu

clickable: TossBits.com
testnet for those who want to try it safely: http://testnet.tossbits.com/

Hi guys, I've been working on a new gambling site, it is like a coin toss game, where your chances are 50%. But unlike other sites, I've made payout variable, basically, when you lose, your wager goes to the bank, and when you win you get 50% of the bank.

Some other features:
  • Low house edge: 1%
  • Provably fair
  • Off the chain transactions
  • Realtime
  • Chat

Gameplay:
We have fixed size bets: from 0.0005 to 1 BTC, that's because we have a bank for each bet type. As I've mentioned payouts are not fixed and depend on the result of the previous bets, if you lose, or other players lose, their wager goes to the bank, rising the available payout. If someone wins they get 50% of the current bank, so in theory it is unlikely that bank can be emptied. What that means for you as a player? You can choose your own strategy, for instance you can watch bets in realtime and play only when the payout is significant enough for you, or you if you have enough coins in you balance you can play agains the bank - because all coins you lose go to the bank a series of wins can recover all loses, so you playing until you leave the bank with less coins than were there when you started

Provability:
All results are provably fair. We use random client and server seeds to generate a hash that is used to determine luck, server side seeds grouped into batches by 1024, and we calculate a hash for a batch, therefore guaranteeing that we cannot alter the server seed without altering entire batch. Client side seeds generated after each bet - it is all embedded right into html and is not minified, so you can inspect the code.
Here also the python script that can check results:
Code:
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
from __future__ import print_function

import requests
import sys

from hashlib import sha256

URL = 'http://tossbits.com/api'

bet_id = sys.argv[1]
bet = requests.get(URL + '/bet/' + bet_id).json()
rand_hash = sha256(bet['server_seed']+bet['client_seed']).hexdigest()
luck = bool(int(bin(int(rand_hash, 16))[-1]))

print('Luck: ', luck)

batch = requests.get(URL + '/batch/'+bet['batch']).json()
if batch.get('error'):
    print("couldn't verify batch, because it is not exhausted yet")
    exit(1)

acc = ''
for hash in batch['hashes']:
    acc += hash

batch_hash = sha256(acc).hexdigest()
assert batch_hash == bet['batch']
You need to install `requests` library first. To run: `python verifybet.py <bet-id>`, for example python verifybet.py 34

I would like if you guys give it a try
Any feedback?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
digit
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 03:16:42 PM

Looks interesting,  I'll give it a try

Stay Safe and use NO KYC exchanges ■ Craig Wright is NOT Satoshi  ■
BTC:1DigitwteXwFcRAaWpVDRp6eKqzC6y9tgm ■ ŁTC:LKMcEHoFWHAUoRscqW1cwjhLgFrk7MgCWU ■ Coinkit:digit ■ §digit
digit
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 03:18:42 PM

do i have to make an account to use the test site?

Stay Safe and use NO KYC exchanges ■ Craig Wright is NOT Satoshi  ■
BTC:1DigitwteXwFcRAaWpVDRp6eKqzC6y9tgm ■ ŁTC:LKMcEHoFWHAUoRscqW1cwjhLgFrk7MgCWU ■ Coinkit:digit ■ §digit
xyu (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 03:20:10 PM

do i have to make an account to use the test site?
Yep, but it doesn't check emails, so, you can use whatever email you want =)
You can also use testnet faucet to get the coins - http://testnet.mojocoin.com/
vlees

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 03:30:48 PM

I first read it incorrectly and assumed the batch hash was the hash of the next server seed, which is not the case.

Why did you take this approach instead of just publishing the hash of the next seed?

BEEP BEP
xyu (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 03:43:28 PM

I first read it incorrectly and assumed the batch hash was the hash of the next server seed, which is not the case.

Why did you take this approach instead of just publishing the hash of the next seed?
Do you mean kind of the server seed that changes, say, once a day and its hash published somewhere on the site?
Well, with this I should also make sure that you cannot use client seed twice, since it will be obviously exploitable, so I just thought making unique random seed for each bet would be more secure, the problem was that publishing hash of this seed wouldn't make much sense because it would always change with each bet, so I decided to combine them in batches and publish the hash of the batch.
vlees

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 03:50:08 PM

Why wouldn't it make sense to create a different server seed beforehand for each game and after it is used, immediately publish it?

BEEP BEP
xyu (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 04:00:16 PM

Why wouldn't it make sense to create a different server seed beforehand for each game and after it is used, immediately publish it?
Just wonder how will you check it? You decide to check our honesty - you check the client seed, remember it, you make a bet - and check what was the server seed - seems ok? But it isn't in this scenario we could just easily fool you by using any seed that will make any outcome we want - just enumerate few random seeds that would give us desired outcome. Even if we would somehow publish a hash of this seed - you cannot be sure that hash you see is for the seed that you will get when you bet, since any other player might use this seed before you.
vlees

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 04:58:57 PM

Just wonder how will you check it? You decide to check our honesty - you check the client seed, remember it, you make a bet - and check what was the server seed - seems ok? But it isn't in this scenario we could just easily fool you by using any seed that will make any outcome we want - just enumerate few random seeds that would give us desired outcome. Even if we would somehow publish a hash of this seed - you cannot be sure that hash you see is for the seed that you will get when you bet, since any other player might use this seed before you.

But if a player uses that hash just before me, I could easily confirm this on the right side. Now you can say: doesn't prove anything since we could already do this.

Well with your current implementation you could also skip hashes from the batch and add fake bets to the right to compensate.

BEEP BEP
xyu (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 05:34:46 PM

But if a player uses that hash just before me, I could easily confirm this on the right side. Now you can say: doesn't prove anything since we could already do this.

Well with your current implementation you could also skip hashes from the batch and add fake bets to the right to compensate.
Sorry, but I don't follow what you trying to say - have you found any significant flaw in this scheme compared to to others or you suggesting an better solution? We can't skip hashes from the batch, because they are taken sequentially
BRules

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 06:33:20 PM

Sorry, but I don't follow what you trying to say - have you found any significant flaw in this scheme compared to to others or you suggesting an better solution? We can't skip hashes from the batch, because they are taken sequentially

you can skip it by simulating a play before mine for example.

it is all embedded right into html and is not minified, so you can inspect the code.

The problem with this aproach, is that everytime I access your site I will have to check the code to see if you didn't change it. Will be way better if you implement a way for us to change it.

But it isn't in this scenario we could just easily fool you by using any seed that will make any outcome we want - just enumerate few random seeds that would give us desired outcome. Even if we would somehow publish a hash of this seed - you cannot be sure that hash you see is for the seed that you will get when you bet, since any other player might use this seed before you.

The seed can't be global, but attached to the session. IMO, the best way to do it is to generate a seed to our session, show it to the user just before any bet, provide a way so we can set our client seed and after the bet generate another server seed to the next bet.

Mooshire

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 06:41:41 PM

What happens if the bank gets so small that people don't want to bet anymore?

vlees

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 07:03:59 PM

I agree with everything BRules said.

Nice concept of the site though!

BEEP BEP
001sonkit

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Casper - A failed entrepenuer who looks like Zhou

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 07:36:20 PM

Now wait for a genius to play the EV up

GEMINI ACCOUNT REVIEW - Source of Funds Request
xyu (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 07:48:56 PM

The problem with this aproach, is that everytime I access your site I will have to check the code to see if you didn't change it. Will be way better if you implement a way for us to change it.
Yep. added to the todo.

The seed can't be global, but attached to the session. IMO, the best way to do it is to generate a seed to our session, show it to the user just before any bet, provide a way so we can set our client seed and after the bet generate another server seed to the next bet.

Okay, I'm gonna think on it.
BRules

Activity: 293

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:09:45 PM

another problem I see is that if a payout % is lower than 99% , why would I play at your site instead of just-dice for example that will always give me 99% return if I win?

vlees

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:53:03 PM

Now wait for a genius to play the EV up

Oh, had nothing to do at work today so I played the 0.003 up to 225% and someone quickly took it Cheesy

BEEP BEP
xyu (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:53:30 PM

another problem I see is that if a payout % is lower than 99% , why would I play at your site instead of just-dice for example that will always give me 99% return if I win?
Because it doesn't work like a dice game - that's the whole point, lets consider the following example:
We have a 1BTC bet, with the payout 50%, you may think that this is not a nice situation to get in the game, but actually you could have the following strategy
1. Ensure you have enough balance to make something like 5-6 bets (i.e. 5-6 BTC), lets say we have 5 btc
2. Start betting, if you have lost, bank will have 2 btc and payout will be 100% and you have 4 btc in balance
3. You can continue to bet, if you lost again you will have 3 btc in balance and bank will be 3btc and payout is 150%
4. As you can see bank and payout are heavily depend on the current streak if it is all loses - it will quickly grow, but if it all wins you can quickly recover all loses, and the more you lose the higher probability to win. Also bank grows in arithmetic progression and decreases in geometric.
5. Lets say you bet again and you win, you won 1.5 btc, your balance now is 4.5 btc and bank is 1.5 btc
6. You bet again and you won 0.75 btc and you balance will be 5.25 BTC - it is already higher than you had when you started!

So to sum up: in dice games it all about luck, here you can have some strategy, but because this is gambling no one guaranteeing that there is a strategy that will always make you money, for instance some dude could watch the site while you making these bets and he could just make a bet in between your bets and win.

And if this thing will take of, be sure it wouldn't be people who play it but bots. Lol, I was even thinking that I should take some time and release a bot at the same time with the game so that people will be equal in their chances Smiley But I already had a deadline for this thing a week ago, so I just had released it without any fancy bots Smiley
vlees

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:09:17 PM

the more you lose the higher probability to win

Sounds like gambler's fallacy to me.

BEEP BEP
xyu (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:15:39 PM

the more you lose the higher probability to win

Sounds like gambler's fallacy to me.
Smiley
Maybe I wasn't clear enough: it is not the probability of winning is higher - it is always 50% it is the chances to win you money back because you decrease the bank in geometric progression.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: