Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:49:43 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Innosilicon PSU failing?  (Read 321 times)
Aepko (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:10:27 AM

So far I've had 6/60 PSUs fail on me. That's a 10% failure rate, and something seems up.

When I get back to work on Monday, I'm going to crack it open and see if I can find any failed components, but has anyone else experienced failures with these PSUs? They are the ones that came bundled with the A4+ ASICs.

Thanks! I'll report my findings here after I trouble shoot them.
wellwishing

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:44:00 PM

Yes, Thanks for posting.... they suck. I will never order again! I am at more like 20% fail and they keep failing every day. Most fail within 10 minutes but now it seems every day another one goes down that has been running 24 hrs + Total nightmare! And then the cheap bastards only offered a $60 coupon towards future purchase... and say to buy local replacement...  good bitmain +++ on ebay is over $180 on a good day. WTF, I have to spend $172,000 more to get the PSU credit. I am usually not this upset about company deficiency but Innosilicon is a shit company that charges too much for a shit product. They have shit customer service and are the cheapest bastards that their ever was. Send them $180,000 and they do not believe you when you report a few failed PSU. Scum bags!, and I should have known since they are related somehow to the other shit company called AliScamba as it was displayed on their shipping label.
They fail on 110v and they fail on 240v, I am using same outlet that works fine for antminer no problems ever.
It must be one diode that fries but even when you open there is no fuse to replace.
Please post if you find a way to repair. Most make a click sound when turned on after fail.
truecry

Activity: 11

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 03:24:30 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2018, 08:25:05 AM by truecry

Sorry about the late reply.

I had two of these failed PSUs, and repaired one this weekend. (The other was used for spare parts.)

The problem is a failed MOSFET on the secondary, which fails short. Thankfully the PSU has short circuit protection, that's why you hear the click. Check the output with a multimeter, you will likely see a shorted output. If so then the fault is most likely one of these MOSFETs.

This can be repaired pretty easily with a hot air rework station, some experience doing these sort of repairs, and some patience as the MOSFETs are pretty solidly soldered to the board and surrounded by large copper planes. An easy way to check to see which MOSFET failed is to probe between the gate and the drain or source (just use a nearby heatsink); the failed MOSFET will show ~4.4ohms lower, as the working units will pass through two 2.2ohm resistors in series, the failed one will be low impedence to the source and drain. I took a working MOSFET from one failed PSU and transplanted it into another, and now I have a working PSU and another PSU for spares.

If you don't want these PSUs and still have them I can buy them, or if you have multiples I can repair them but cannot guarantee how long they will work with the stock MOSFETs, they seem to be trash. I haven't checked for what replacements will work for quality MOSFETs or the cost. Other than the shoddy MOSFETs the PSU is built decently enough.
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2018, 08:47:41 AM

10% failure rate is too much. I not really willing to purchase any devices from Innosilicon (Actually I had some Innosilicon P104-100 GPUs before), especially PSU. I always like to use PSUs from EVGA (very expensive), Superflower leadex (reasonable price) and Great Wall Power (from China - very cheap). Currently, our mining farms're using about ~190 Superflower leadex 1300W and Great Wall Gigantic Dragon 1250W, so far so good (actually I never push PSU too much, my power limit is under 80% for 24/7 operation, room temperature is kept below 45C, GPU temperature is under 68C).
EK701

Activity: 25

View Profile
July 08, 2018, 06:11:06 PM

The problem is a failed MOSFET on the secondary, which fails short. Thankfully the PSU has short circuit protection, that's why you hear the click. Check the output with a multimeter, you will likely see a shorted output. If so then the fault is most likely one of these MOSFETs.

This can be repaired pretty easily with a hot air rework station, some experience doing these sort of repairs, and some patience as the MOSFETs are pretty solidly soldered to the board and surrounded by large copper planes. An easy way to check to see which MOSFET failed is to probe between the gate and the drain or source (just use a nearby heatsink); the failed MOSFET will show ~4.4ohms lower, as the working units will pass through two 2.2ohm resistors in series, the failed one will be low impedence to the source and drain. I took a working MOSFET from one failed PSU and transplanted it into another, and now I have a working PSU and another PSU for spares.

Do you know the part number on the failed MOSFET?  Can you describe where they are on the board?  I have two that died in less than 24 hours, but I haven't decided if I should file an RMA with InnoSilicon, or just fix them myself, so I haven't cracked them open yet.

Thanks!
vincl

Activity: 386
Merit: 18

View Profile
July 08, 2018, 09:12:53 PM
Last edit: July 09, 2018, 09:20:31 AM by vincl

which models tend to fail? 1400W, 1600W?

i am in contact with the manufacturer with the PSU, so please provide me some informations:
How long did the PSU ran without problems 2 weeks/months?
Which model exactly? its written on the stickers
How is your failure rate?
vincl

Activity: 386
Merit: 18

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 03:40:19 PM

So far I've had 6/60 PSUs fail on me. That's a 10% failure rate, and something seems up.

When I get back to work on Monday, I'm going to crack it open and see if I can find any failed components, but has anyone else experienced failures with these PSUs? They are the ones that came bundled with the A4+ ASICs.

Thanks! I'll report my findings here after I trouble shoot them.

Yes, Thanks for posting.... they suck. I will never order again! I am at more like 20% fail and they keep failing every day. Most fail within 10 minutes but now it seems every day another one goes down that has been running 24 hrs + Total nightmare! And then the cheap bastards only offered a $60 coupon towards future purchase... and say to buy local replacement...  good bitmain +++ on ebay is over $180 on a good day. WTF, I have to spend $172,000 more to get the PSU credit. I am usually not this upset about company deficiency but Innosilicon is a shit company that charges too much for a shit product. They have shit customer service and are the cheapest bastards that their ever was. Send them $180,000 and they do not believe you when you report a few failed PSU. Scum bags!, and I should have known since they are related somehow to the other shit company called AliScamba as it was displayed on their shipping label.
They fail on 110v and they fail on 240v, I am using same outlet that works fine for antminer no problems ever.
It must be one diode that fries but even when you open there is no fuse to replace.
Please post if you find a way to repair. Most make a click sound when turned on after fail.

Sorry about the late reply.

I had two of these failed PSUs, and repaired one this weekend. (The other was used for spare parts.)

If you don't want these PSUs and still have them I can buy them, or if you have multiples I can repair them but cannot guarantee how long they will work with the stock MOSFETs, they seem to be trash. I haven't checked for what replacements will work for quality MOSFETs or the cost. Other than the shoddy MOSFETs the PSU is built decently enough.

could you guys please provide me the exact model? power consumption? everything should be written on the sticker. thank you
EK701

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 07:07:17 PM

i am in contact with the manufacturer with the PSU, so please provide me some informations:

Innosilicon model G5118-1200W
First one died within 1 hour.  The second one died in about 24 hours.  2/2 dead.
cyberdeity

Activity: 44

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 10:54:47 PM

G5118-1600W 240V

I bought four brand new from factory with my S11's.  One was DOA.  I replaced with a Bitman power supply from Amazon to get the miner up and mining quickly.
EK701

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 03:19:07 AM

Anyone have any updates on possible PSU fixes?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: