Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:07:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-08-22 SmartPlanet: Bitcoin takes off in Berlin  (Read 1286 times)
BitGo (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

https://bitgo.com

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 06:24:46 PM

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/global-observer/bitcoin-takes-off-in-berlin/13680

"Platzer began accepting Bitcoin at Room 77 in his heavily gentrified Graefekiez neighborhood two years ago as a sociopolitical critique of government and the banking industry. It wasn’t long before word spread, and other bars, shops, cafes and restaurants on the block followed suit. Today, some 25 to 30 participating businesses in the area accept the digital currency, constituting the largest local Bitcoin economy in the world — and even attracting Bitcoin tourism."

"“To show most people that Bitcoin is a valid alternative, you need projects that demonstrate how you can pay for dinner, how this works person-to-person,”"

"“Through this value creation chain people suddenly realize, ‘aha, no fees’, ‘aha, no administrative costs!’ These are the kinds of things we’re trying to bring to the forefront.”"

Securing the World's Bitcoin https://bitgo.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 06:49:28 PM

I love the fact they are doing this.

This is precisely how supply-chains denominated in BTC start to form. I'm glad that the German government has too many fires to put out right now to focus any effort on stopping it. Naturally, when they get around to it, it will be far too late.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 07:19:22 PM

I'm glad that the German government has too many fires to put out right now to focus any effort on stopping it. Naturally, when they get around to it, it will be far too late.

The situation looks even more positive than that when you compare Germany's to other government office responses. Most other governments have elicited either muted neutrality or reticent bureaucratic can kicking. I'm still not planning on emigrating to Deutschland any time soon, but you could have expected a more hostile response from a country that has alot of political capital to loose through falling out with the US... interesting re: NSA fallout

Vires in numeris
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:14:36 PM

Good point carlton, I also think Bitcoin is rapidly becoming the number one way to give the USA a nice big "middle finger". I look to China as well as evidence of that.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
p2pbucks

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 02:15:33 AM

why Iceland Sweden & Finland have more btc nodes than germany ?

btw:translated into chinese
http://p2pbucks.com/?p=6764
Dropthebass

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 03:27:22 AM

Good point carlton, I also think Bitcoin is rapidly becoming the number one way to give the USA a nice big "middle finger". I look to China as well as evidence of that.

As long as BTC flies low in China it's gonna be fine but as it escapes all kinds of controle, the government won't like it. Other Chinese citizen most likely agree with that I assume.

Besides, the positives news about biitcoin beeng accepted in Germany resides in the income opportunity taxing BTC is. I won't put high hopes in Germany so far. HK seems to be one of the place taking bitcoin on the good side as the local community works wiith autoroties to create a btcfriendly environment.
seldon

Activity: 353
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 07:25:43 AM

why Iceland Sweden & Finland have more btc nodes than germany ?

Cheap energy, low temperatures --> Miners
Dropthebass

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 08:12:22 AM

Very pertinent reply  Grin
seldon

Activity: 353

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 09:21:47 AM

Although in honesty (being from Berlin) it has far from taken off..there's some stores in one neighborhood, where you can use them. But maybe that is the way to start for brick&mortar?
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 01:22:14 PM

As long as BTC flies low in China it's gonna be fine but as it escapes all kinds of controle, the government won't like it. Other Chinese citizen most likely agree with that I assume.

Besides, the positives news about biitcoin beeng accepted in Germany resides in the income opportunity taxing BTC is. I won't put high hopes in Germany so far. HK seems to be one of the place taking bitcoin on the good side as the local community works wiith autoroties to create a btcfriendly environment.

The German authorities have held the floodgates open with these rulings. It makes little sense to cause problems for exchanges now that they have legitimised/enfranchised the mining community. What are they gonna do, accept miners paying their income tax via IRL cash exchange instead? Bitcoin has it's foot in the door in Germany right now, but the door does still have someone on the other side gently pushing back, but only symbolically really. USA tactic is multiple different authority figures in front of the half open door, shouting various intimidatory or defamatory slogans like they're at an anti-Bitcoin demonstration.

Vires in numeris
18RATTT

Activity: 282

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 04:58:24 PM

hopefully other countries catch on with Germany, thank you for leading the way.

“I believe in honest money — gold, silver and Bitcoin,” reads a sign behind Joerg Platzer’s bar.

Dropthebass

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 05:57:16 PM

Don't get me wrong Carlton, this is way better than nothing. However, we have to keep in mind that the effective tax rate for bonds / shares / dividends in Germany is pretty high => 28% I believe plus - but I'm not sure - it also scales on the income tax just like in most of Western European countries.

EDIT : We should soon integrate a BTC tax law / tax system section :p
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 07:51:32 PM

One more reason Joerg Platzer needs to be on the board of the Bitcoin Foundation (yes, if you're a member, you can vote for him!), to show these guys how this is an actual factual thing that happens ON THE STREETS.

Nothing for 'sters and guys in suits.

"This guy is in finance..."

Well THIS guy is ON THE STREET actually WORKING with Bitcoin.

/spamrant
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: