Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:54:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain L3+ Shorting Out  (Read 105 times)
miningallday (OP)

Activity: 89
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 06:51:35 AM

I have a rogue L3+ that was shorting out. After turning on only 3 boards are hashing. The miner housing (metal casing) was testing at 10 volts. It seems it shorted out the miner/psu next to it, and the TrippLite it was attached to. The LEDs on my metered tripplite burnt out. The power cord 14awg was heating up hot, pulsating. The miner was drawing way too many amps and my breaker blew had to reset it.

I also noticed that some APW3++ PSUs the casing is grounded while others are not. This is a quality control issue or Bitmain just does not care? I have since grounded each miner to PSU. Everything is now bonded.

I am a little nervous because I don't want to start a fire. Any help/knowledge is appreciated. Thanks.

Masternode Owner & Crypto Miner
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MiningDoc

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 06:58:33 AM

Sounds like a psu issue unless the l3+ was way oc'd.  Not sure what else would cause the l3+ to draw that much power on its own.  The l3+ should never draw enough to heat up 14g wiring.  Maybe power issue going to the outlet the psu was plugged in to?

Pokercoin.net – The Future of Poker! Welcome to the 1st cryptocurrency which is created for pokerplayers!
Join Now and Start Playing Online Poker on the first platform accepting Pokercoin!
 || Website || Poker || Bounty || Twitter || Facebook ||
miningallday (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:45:20 PM

The tripplite PDU led burnt out for that bank however the recepticles are still showing 120,120 and 0(ground) so no issue with the PDU. Like I said, the metal casing of the l3+ was showing 10 volts. Something loose inside?

L3+ was not overclocked or underclocked at all.

The next psu over (miner next to it) would graze the l3+ and sparks would fly. This miners cable heated up also.

Faulty l3+? Anyone know why some PSUs are grounded and others ARE NOT (FROM THE SAME BATCH/ORDER)?

miningallday (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 09:40:08 PM

Bump...  anyone has had this problem before?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: