Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:11:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwolla freezing all financial transfers related to bitcoins?!  (Read 2861 times)
mechs (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:35:25 PM

https://i.imgur.com/tT1xHTJ.jpg
I just got this email today after I initiated a bank transfer to fund my Dwolla account. I had previously used dwolla to buy bitcoins on localbitcoins, and had also transferred fundsto camp bx.  Anyone else have this issue before?  This will be a killer for both of these US services - looks like stuck with coinbase and their high fees.
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:40:26 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2013, 09:55:12 PM by TippingPoint

making it visible

So "peer-to-peer virtual currency exchange" is a no-no in the highly regulated FinCen world.  Don't try this at home.  These are highly trained professionals.

eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:53:07 PM

Has anyone seen this coming the other way (selling on exchange, redeeming into fiat through Dwolla)?

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:53:57 PM

The presumptuous language they use never fails to appall me ("we appreciate your understanding"). I hope they appreciate their business circling the sinkhole.

Vires in numeris
mechs (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:57:48 PM

The presumptuous language they use never fails to appall me ("we appreciate your understanding"). I hope they appreciate their business circling the sinkhole.
It really is a shame since CampBX has slowly been improving volume and narrowing their bid-ask spread.  Plus their fee of 0.55% is better than Coinbase's 1%, plus they usually have a lower price.  The disadvantage has been the three days to move funds from bank to Dwolla (from dwolla to campbx is near-instant).  Now, just to safe 0.45%, it not worth wiring funds or mailing them to CampBX - will just stick with coinbase.  This is great news for coinbase, bad news for campbx and bad for US Bitcoiners.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:59:13 PM

I hope they appreciate their business circling the sinkhole.
The only reason to use Dwolla is to buy and sell bitcoins. Without that, they have no business.

Since they legally aren't allowed to serve the only market that is interested in their services it's all over for them. The founders are just consuming what remains of their investors' money while waiting for the company to die.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 10:03:43 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2013, 11:47:11 PM by acoindr

It really is a shame since CampBX has slowly been improving volume and narrowing their bid-ask spread.  Plus their fee of 0.55% is better than Coinbase's 1%, plus they usually have a lower price.  The disadvantage has been the three days to move funds from bank to Dwolla (from dwolla to campbx is near-instant).  Now, just to safe 0.45%, it not worth wiring funds or mailing them to CampBX - will just stick with coinbase.  This is great news for coinbase, bad news for campbx and bad for US Bitcoiners.

CampBX supports ACH too.

We need to beef up those SatoshiSquares and localbitcoins.com as these are things that can't be regulated away, not easily anyway.

EDIT: actually the ACH is for withdrawals only.
tclo

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 12:26:48 AM

Well Dwolla isn't saying you can't fund peer to peer bitcoin transactions, not Dwolla which is an exchange.

Of course they may extend it to that at some point, but doesn't seem to be the case now. 

I hope not because I love Dwolla with CampBX too and that's the only thing I use it for as well.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 01:54:30 AM

I don't understand. Aren't you just using Dwolla to transfer USD from one place to another? Isn't that the basic point of Dwolla?

Buy & Hold
Lina.V

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 03:06:28 AM

Sucks but you do have to understand. They do this or people with guns come and kick down their office door.
mechs (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 03:09:25 AM

Sucks but you do have to understand. They do this or people with guns come and kick down their office door.
After the whole Mt Gox drama, they are obviously being proactive to avoid any more supeonas and run-ins with the law
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 03:24:48 AM

Less business for them I guess.

Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

mechs (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 04:03:26 AM

I wonder if this news partially responsible for the weakness BTC  having today
illpoet

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 04:12:52 AM

thats weird, i thought this was in effect months ago when ICE/homeland security/general govt oppression  said i couldn't cash from mtgox to dwolla. but yeah its tough for these companys, basically they have to alienate their customer base or risk going to jail.   god bless the usa.

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
mechs (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 04:51:28 AM

thats weird, i thought this was in effect months ago when ICE/homeland security/general govt oppression  said i couldn't cash from mtgox to dwolla. but yeah its tough for these companys, basically they have to alienate their customer base or risk going to jail.   god bless the usa.
Well the Dwolla-Mt. Gox thing is old, but now Dwolla seems to pre-emptively be blacklisting CampBX and localbitcoins.com.  Basically, any known bitcoin trading venue.
illpoet

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 04:57:26 AM

i see. It was actually really a boon for me when that happened as it sent me to localbitcoins.com and i found out i had some buyers/sellers really close and also really fair!  i encourage everyone to check it out!

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
tclo

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 07:39:45 AM

Well the Dwolla-Mt. Gox thing is old, but now Dwolla seems to pre-emptively be blacklisting CampBX and localbitcoins.com.  Basically, any known bitcoin trading venue.

Since when?  Is my reading comprehension really poor or is yours?

Where do you get that Dwolla has a problem with transfers to and from CampBX?
mechs (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 06:34:37 PM

Since when?  Is my reading comprehension really poor or is yours?

Where do you get that Dwolla has a problem with transfers to and from CampBX?
Geez, you post in a thread without even reading it?  Check the first 2 posts in this thread.
FullLife

Activity: 503

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 04:22:30 AM

The only reason to use Dwolla is to buy and sell bitcoins. Without that, they have no business.

Since they legally aren't allowed to serve the only market that is interested in their services it's all over for them. The founders are just consuming what remains of their investors' money while waiting for the company to die.

This is definitely not true.  Most payment processing services (like PayPal) just piggy-back on credit card processing networks and simply pass on the processing fees to the consumer.  Dwolla is working on building their own processing network that will compete directly with any service that uses these credit card processing networks.

Here's a great article to further understand what Dwolla is working towards:  http://www.businessinsider.com/this-28-year-old-is-making-sure-credit-cards-wont-exist-in-the-next-few-years-2011-11?op=1
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 04:37:06 AM

This is definitely not true.  Most payment processing services (like PayPal) just piggy-back on credit card processing networks and simply pass on the processing fees to the consumer.  Dwolla is working on building their own processing network that will compete directly with any service that uses these credit card processing networks.

Here's a great article to further understand what Dwolla is working towards:  http://www.businessinsider.com/this-28-year-old-is-making-sure-credit-cards-wont-exist-in-the-next-few-years-2011-11?op=1
...which makes them, in the long run, a competitor of Bitcoin. You should see their actions and excuses in the light of that fact.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: