Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:29:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Bitcoins in Bitcoin Core wallet - what now?  (Read 332 times)
sexxy69 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 08:09:16 AM

~Okay then, so I've had some bitcoins in a Bitcoin Core wallet which I sent to an online wallet. This is how it happened:

- Bitcoin Core was opened
- synced and up to date
- I sent Bitcoins using the built in features and used twice the minimal transaction fee
- Confirmation message popped up and they were sent
- I went and deleted wallet.dat as I no longer needed this wallet
- Thought popped into my brain that made me wonder how do these bitcoins reach their destination
- I realized bitcoin technology is really bad
- Now I am worried about my bitcoins

Its been a good 10 hours and they are yet to reach their destination....

Does anyone know if they will get their eventually? Or have I just lost a couple of coins?

I've later read somewhere on the Internet that the Bitcoin Core client should be kept open so that it keeps rebroadcasting the transactions, but since I've deleted the wallet thinking everything would run smoothly, I am unable to do so.

I've never really looked into bitcoin technology all that much but now that I've come across this I can't help but mention that the original idea was good, though mass scale practicality, this is a fail coin... just look at how torrents work... this pretty much sums up how transactions in the network work. I just hope I ain't as smart and the coins will come through sooner than later, although I can't help but see how impractical bitcoin really is in the real world.

PS. Bitcoin Core sucks big time, especially for something that has been around for so long and has grown in value so much, it misses so many end user features, things that every crypto wallet should have in order to be effective for real world use.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6131

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 08:27:00 AM

Do you have the TXID or the recipient address? You could follow your transaction that way, It probably got sent but just didn't get confirmation yet as you used low fees and since the amount is big, I suggest using pushtx.btc.com to accelerate it, It should get confirmed within minutes.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16637

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 09:01:43 AM

Your best chance of finding back your wallet.dat is turning off your computer right now. Don't start it again, unplug your disk, plug it into another computer and run data recovery software from there.

PS. Bitcoin Core sucks big time, especially for something that has been around for so long and has grown in value so much, it misses so many end user features, things that every crypto wallet should have in order to be effective for real world use.
You can't blame Bitcoin Core for your own mistakes. What did you expect to happen after deleting your wallet? That's the one thing you should never do! In fact, you should have done the opposite: create several backups of your wallet.dat.
If you held several coins, you're looking at tens of thousands of dollars, and (depending on how long you've owned them) several thousands of dollars in Bitcoin forks. To claim them, you need your wallet!

Does anyone know if they will get their eventually? Or have I just lost a couple of coins?
Enter the receiving address in the search field on blockchain.info. If the transaction doesn't show up, it won't confirm. If it does show up, it depends on the fee you used whether or not it will drop from mempool before it gets confirmed.

Shirase

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 10:25:56 AM

Assuming Mac or Windows, wouldn't the deleted file just end up in Trash or the Recycle bin? (Even some linux distros have a similar concept.) Since this was so recent, it should probably still be in there. Or did you very specifically configure the computer to totally delete the file (or... did you empty the trash yourself too...  Lips sealed )? Because that's usually not the default.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 10:45:00 AM

~Okay then, so I've had some bitcoins in a Bitcoin Core wallet which I sent to an online wallet. This is how it happened:

- synced and up to date
- I sent Bitcoins using the built in features and used twice the minimal transaction fee
- Thought popped into my brain that made me wonder how do these bitcoins reach their destination

Did you use a deterministic wallet ?  If you have the pass phrase, you can reconstruct it.  If you don't, and you don't have a back up of your wallet, then that is utterly profoundly dangerous in any case.  What if your hard disk was dead ?  What if your computer didn't boot any more ?

So in any case, you should have, or a back up of your wallet file, or the pass phrase of the deterministic wallet, written down somewhere. 

That said, once the transaction is broadcast, your wallet doesn't matter any more in reality.  Once your transaction is in the mem pool of other nodes, indeed, you don't need your original wallet any more ; unless the transaction gets eliminated because of too low fee.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:28:41 PM

your first mistake, you should never delete your used wallet for whatever reason.

it will get to destination someday, provided it was (re)broadcasted successfully until confirmed

now, you just need to remember what was your transaction id or destination address
so in case the tx dropped by the network you can re-broadcast it manually until it gets confirmation
that would be your only option in case you cannot recover your wallet file

webchris

Activity: 142
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 04:03:56 PM

You haven't pointed out any problems with Bitcoin or Bitcoin Core. When you "send" bitcoin to another address, until the transaction has been secured in a block, it is not final no matter what wallet you are using. It is a really bad idea to delete you wallet until the transaction has gone thru, and given how small the wallet file is, it could be preserved indefinitely just in case. What if someone (or yourself) who had sent coins to that wallet in the past accidentally reused an address? That bitcoin would be permanently lost if you did not keep a backup of your wallet/keys.

Join a Safe Shared LUX Masternode -> https://www.luxmasternode.com
sexxy69 (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 04:14:03 PM

I've tried using multiple recovery tools and I am unable to recover the wallet.dat file.

More importantly I shuffled the coins around 2 different addresses within the wallet prior to sending them out.

I can understand that deleting the wallet.dat file was a mistake but once the coins are sent into the network IMO in a good technology scenario they should always reach the destination just like a bank transfer otherwise it isn't practical in real time value and the whole bitcoin thing is just a bubble waiting to burst. Technically I put my coins in a black hole by deleting the wallet, even though I sent them out before doing so.

I have the original mempool.dat file. Would I be able to find anything related to the transactions in this? I have the destination address but from what I can see this isn't of much use as blockchain.info doesn't show anything.

Thanks guys.
dinofelis

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 04:48:08 PM

I've tried using multiple recovery tools and I am unable to recover the wallet.dat file.

More importantly I shuffled the coins around 2 different addresses within the wallet prior to sending them out.

I can understand that deleting the wallet.dat file was a mistake but once the coins are sent into the network IMO in a good technology scenario they should always reach the destination just like a bank transfer otherwise it isn't practical in real time value and the whole bitcoin thing is just a bubble waiting to burst. Technically I put my coins in a black hole by deleting the wallet, even though I sent them out before doing so.

I have the original mempool.dat file. Would I be able to find anything related to the transactions in this? I have the destination address but from what I can see this isn't of much use as blockchain.info doesn't show anything.

Thanks guys.

But when you set up your wallet, didn't you have to copy a pass phrase on paper ?
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16637

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 05:04:31 PM

That doesn't matter.

I can understand that deleting the wallet.dat file was a mistake but once the coins are sent into the network IMO in a good technology scenario they should always reach the destination just like a bank transfer otherwise it isn't practical in real time value and the whole bitcoin thing is just a bubble waiting to burst.
Bitcoin relies on confirmations. Until they're confirmed, it's not sure they arrive at their destination. Bitcoin isn't like your bank, you're your own bank. What you did, is burn down your bank before your funds are secure.

Technically I put my coins in a black hole by deleting the wallet, even though I sent them out before doing so.
Until the coins are confirmed on the address you sent them to, they're still on your old address. Many Bitcoins have been lost by losing private keys.

I have the original mempool.dat file. Would I be able to find anything related to the transactions in this?
Maybe. It may contain your own unconfirmed transaction, but I can't tell you how to read it from there. I wouldn't delete it for now, and don't use it without making a copy first.

I have the destination address but from what I can see this isn't of much use as blockchain.info doesn't show anything.
Blockchain.info doesn't show all transactions with low fees, you can try some other block explorers too.

But when you set up your wallet, didn't you have to copy a pass phrase on paper ?
This is not how Bitcoin Core works.

drwhobox

Activity: 756
Merit: 133

- hello doctor who box

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 05:08:48 PM

- synced and up to date

I've later read somewhere on the Internet that the Bitcoin Core client should be kept open so that it keeps rebroadcasting the transactions, but since I've deleted the wallet thinking everything would run smoothly, I am unable to do so.

I've never really looked into bitcoin technology all that much but now that I've come across this I can't help but mention that the original idea was good, though mass scale practicality, this is a fail coin... just look at how torrents work... this pretty much sums up how transactions in the network work. I just hope I ain't as smart and the coins will come through sooner than later, although I can't help but see how impractical bitcoin really is in the real world.

Well I think since you're using low fees you're waiting for your transaction to be confirmed right? It's not lost. try checking out on the address that you sent the funds to check it on Blockchain.info and you can see where is the funds heading to if you did send it or not.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 05:23:39 PM

May i ask why you weren't able to find your wallet.dat file?
If you weren't writing hundreds of GB's of data onto your HD after deleting your file (today ?) it should be easily recoverable.

The only reliable way to gain access to your coins is to recover the file.
Which software did you use to search for your file?

It is important to NOT use that disk anymore and make an 1:1 image (e.g. DD-like, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)).
Then use any recovery software you wish to search for your wallet.dat.. The chances are very high of getting your file back.
The more you are using your hard drive the lower your chance will be of recovering the file.

sexxy69 (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 06:25:07 PM

Thanks guys.

Nope, nothing like that. It just worked at launch. It had a default address and then I created a few new ones.
dinofelis

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 06:25:47 PM

This is not how Bitcoin Core works.

I thought that bitcoin core had HD wallet integration since June 2016...
sexxy69 (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 06:37:58 PM

Bitcoin relies on confirmations. Until they're confirmed, it's not sure they arrive at their destination. Bitcoin isn't like your bank, you're your own bank. What you did, is burn down your bank before your funds are secure.

I like this analogy, makes perfect sense.

Thanks for your help.
sexxy69 (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 06:45:32 PM

If you weren't writing hundreds of GB's of data onto your HD after deleting your file (today ?) it should be easily recoverable.

It is important to NOT use that disk anymore and make an 1:1 image (e.g. DD-like, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)).
Then use any recovery software you wish to search for your wallet.dat.. The chances are very high of getting your file back.
The more you are using your hard drive the lower your chance will be of recovering the file.

I tried using Recuva as well as a few others and nothing. After deleting the wallet.dat file I reopened Bitcoin Core which created a new wallet.dat file. Maybe this new one overwrote the old one? I'm dumbfounded myself as I thought these recovery tools were much more useful although this doesn't quite seem to be the case.

The Bitcoin files are on another drive and not on my C: drive. I thought this would make it even easier to recover but this was not the case. I am currently doing a deep scan with another tool and there's a few more hours left. We will see what if anything this brings us.
jimmmyd

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 10:42:39 PM

I tried using Recuva as well as a few others and nothing. After deleting the wallet.dat file I reopened Bitcoin Core which created a new wallet.dat file. Maybe this new one overwrote the old one? I'm dumbfounded myself as I thought these recovery tools were much more useful although this doesn't quite seem to be the case.

The Bitcoin files are on another drive and not on my C: drive. I thought this would make it even easier to recover but this was not the case. I am currently doing a deep scan with another tool and there's a few more hours left. We will see what if anything this brings us.

IMO this whole thing defies common sense.  If you delete the wallet it should be easily recoverable period.  You must have waited way to long to try and recover it.  Still should be able to find it regardless.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 10:53:38 PM

plug in that destination address on this block explorer bitaps.com or btc.com
if it was broadcasted successfully and reached one of these nodes, you will be able to see the unconfirmed tx
bitaps will keep track of it even if other nodes and the whole network has dropped it completely

sexxy69 (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 12:18:38 AM

IMO this whole thing defies common sense.  If you delete the wallet it should be easily recoverable period.  You must have waited way to long to try and recover it.  Still should be able to find it regardless.

I just finished with a deep scan and it did not find anything. IMO most of you think technology is better than it actually is.

I will give it a few days but if my understanding of how the bitcoin technology actually works is correct then the coins are lost and the technology isn't as great as some of you may think it is. If those coins don't come through the simple answer would be that the Bitcoin network has blind spots which centralize the network as to avoid them you need to be well connected with other peers.
sexxy69 (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 12:25:07 AM

plug in that destination address on this block explorer bitaps.com or btc.com
if it was broadcasted successfully and reached one of these nodes, you will be able to see the unconfirmed tx
bitaps will keep track of it even if other nodes and the whole network has dropped it completely

It doesn't show on any of those. I literally closed the client and deleted the wallet.dat file the moment it said the coins were sent without any confirmations showing up. I thought the message that the coins were sent was enough, clearly this was not the case and Bitcoin being as old as it is, just makes you wonder why the client is so shit after all these years. As if no one really cares for real world application and instead everyone was just using the network as an investment place.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: