Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 02:51:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ron Paul cool with bitcoins  (Read 3509 times)
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1303

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 04:53:01 PM

He HAS been a candidate in the past, most recently in 2012.  He is 78:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul

That's cool, is Ron Paul the candidate of president of USA?
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 05:10:23 PM

To those that don't know, Dr. Ron Paul is a past Republican Congressman and has run for President of the US in '88 as a Libertarian and in '08 & '12 as a Republican. He has been the leader in the resurgence of the true Constitutional Conservatives in GOP (Grande Ole Party - Republican) and the Tea Party movement started on Dec 16, 2007 (234th anniversary of the original Boston Tea Party where American colonists threw hundreds of tea leave chests into the Boston harbor in protest of King George's tea tax w/o representation) where his Presidential campaign raised $6.1 million in a single day's "moneybomb" which was the largest single day donation drive in US history. At the end of his 2nd Prez campaign, he started the Campaign for Liberty which is a pro-liberty lobbying organization to which I'm a state and national member. He also has his own Ron Paul Channel online and as well as his Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity. His son is a popular and iconic US Senator from Kentucky and is a front-runner for the GOP nomination in 2016. The Paul's and their allies represent and significant shift in the GOP to return to following the Constitution and stopping civil liberty invasions, out of control govt spending and a more reasonable and restrained foreign policy - all of which is the opposite of what the Bush Republicans stand for.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 05:13:37 PM

Paul SHOULD be the president next but WON'T be without being assassinated or votes manipulated just because he stands for the right things. Just like all the other presidents of the countries who didn't like to cooperate with US corporations to create US monopolies long term in different sectors.
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 05:28:34 PM

To those that don't know, Dr. Ron Paul is a past Republican Congressman and has run for President of the US in '88 as a Libertarian and in '08 & '12 as a Republican. He has been the leader in the resurgence of the true Constitutional Conservatives in GOP (Grande Ole Party - Republican) and the Tea Party movement started on Dec 16, 2007 (234th anniversary of the original Boston Tea Party where American colonists threw hundreds of tea leave chests into the Boston harbor in protest of King George's tea tax w/o representation) where his Presidential campaign raised $6.1 million in a single day's "moneybomb" which was the largest single day donation drive in US history. At the end of his 2nd Prez campaign, he started the Campaign for Liberty which is a pro-liberty lobbying organization to which I'm a state and national member. He also has his own Ron Paul Channel online and as well as his Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity. His son is a popular and iconic US Senator from Kentucky and is a front-runner for the GOP nomination in 2016. The Paul's and their allies represent and significant shift in the GOP to return to following the Constitution and stopping civil liberty invasions, out of control govt spending and a more reasonable and restrained foreign policy - all of which is the opposite of what the Bush Republicans stand for.

I visited Yoakum, TX and looked to buy a house there.  It was a very nice 3 bedroom with hardwood floors, large pecan trees, a nice detached workshop, garden space, and a shelter for animals, though I have forgotten whether it was chickens or goats.  The price was about 1/4 of the cost of our Austin house.

It turns out that the people there pretty solidly don't want taxes.  They vote for Ron Paul, and they are happy with no taxes.  As near as I can tell, Ron Paul delivers on his "minimal government" idea, his rhetoric and his action agree with each other.  His district likes him.

I respect this.

The reason that I did not move there was because of all the things that you get with no taxes.  There were holes big enough to swallow a Volkswagen in the roads.  The sidewalks were busted up.  Store after store was out of business.  Many streetlights were burned out.  Many roads within the town were unpaved.  It was like visiting a vibrant ghost town.  We sat with our prospective neighbors across the street.  She was a nurse.  In the conversation, it became pretty apparent that the physicians, nurses, pharmacists, attorneys, were the only people in town who had studied after college.  There was no live music scene, a difficult thing to abandon in Austin.  There was no entrepreneurial environment, unless selling 100 year old rusty horse shoes and kerosene lanterns to tourists, or starting a beauty salon meets your criteria for entrepreneurial.

I like the idea of a $50,000/year job with taxis, restaurants, music, roads that don't tear up my car, and $10,000 in taxes more than I like the idea of no taxes, $20,000/year job, and no amenities.

I try to be respectful and informed.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 05:35:34 PM

I visited Yoakum, TX and looked to buy a house there.  It was a very nice 3 bedroom with hardwood floors, large pecan trees, a nice detached workshop, garden space, and a shelter for animals, though I have forgotten whether it was chickens or goats.  The price was about 1/4 of the cost of our Austin house.

It turns out that the people there pretty solidly don't want taxes.  They vote for Ron Paul, and they are happy with no taxes.  As near as I can tell, Ron Paul delivers on his "minimal government" idea, his rhetoric and his action agree with each other.  His district likes him.

I respect this.

The reason that I did not move there was because of all the things that you get with no taxes.  There were holes big enough to swallow a Volkswagen in the roads.  The sidewalks were busted up.  Store after store was out of business.  Many streetlights were burned out.  Many roads within the town were unpaved.  It was like visiting a vibrant ghost town.  We sat with our prospective neighbors across the street.  She was a nurse.  In the conversation, it became pretty apparent that the physicians, nurses, pharmacists, attorneys, were the only people in town who had studied after college.  There was no live music scene, a difficult thing to abandon in Austin.  There was no entrepreneurial environment, unless selling 100 year old rusty horse shoes and kerosene lanterns to tourists, or starting a beauty salon meets your criteria for entrepreneurial.

I like the idea of a $50,000/year job with taxis, restaurants, music, roads that don't tear up my car, and $10,000 in taxes more than I like the idea of no taxes, $20,000/year job, and no amenities.

Wow, its been a long time since I've read a post from someone with a real understanding of how the world works.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 07:56:18 PM

Paul SHOULD be the president next but WON'T be without being assassinated or votes manipulated just because he stands for the right things. Just like all the other presidents of the countries who didn't like to cooperate with US corporations to create US monopolies long term in different sectors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Roosevelt

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 08:42:51 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2013, 08:58:16 PM by acoindr

I visited Yoakum, TX and looked to buy a house there.  It was a very nice 3 bedroom with hardwood floors, large pecan trees, a nice detached workshop, garden space, and a shelter for animals, though I have forgotten whether it was chickens or goats.  The price was about 1/4 of the cost of our Austin house.

It turns out that the people there pretty solidly don't want taxes.  They vote for Ron Paul, and they are happy with no taxes.  As near as I can tell, Ron Paul delivers on his "minimal government" idea, his rhetoric and his action agree with each other.  His district likes him.

I respect this.

The reason that I did not move there was because of all the things that you get with no taxes.  There were holes big enough to swallow a Volkswagen in the roads.  The sidewalks were busted up.  Store after store was out of business.  Many streetlights were burned out.  Many roads within the town were unpaved.  It was like visiting a vibrant ghost town.  We sat with our prospective neighbors across the street.  She was a nurse.  In the conversation, it became pretty apparent that the physicians, nurses, pharmacists, attorneys, were the only people in town who had studied after college.  There was no live music scene, a difficult thing to abandon in Austin.  There was no entrepreneurial environment, unless selling 100 year old rusty horse shoes and kerosene lanterns to tourists, or starting a beauty salon meets your criteria for entrepreneurial.

What are you talking about?

There is no way Ron Paul as a U.S. congressman for a single district in Texas could eliminate taxes. He can't remove your federal or state income tax liabilities, state sales tax, or even property tax, so what are you talking about?

Also, if you want to compare what you get with taxes then try looking at Detroit which has some of the highest property taxes in the nation, fire departments with sewage backing up through the floor and holes in the boots but with the fire chief building a $60M new housing facility.

http://youtu.be/EnpE-faE_IQ

They turned city hall into a den of bribes and kickbacks making themselves rich.

And Detroit is not alone. Governments are inefficient and the bigger they are the more inefficient (and probably corrupt) they are.
dmartig

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 10:29:13 PM

I respect this.

then don't move to rural amerika. this is about as stupid a post as i have read here and there have been some pretty stupid ones. rural amerika is being decimated by government policies. small businesses are closing all over the country. do everyone a favor and stay in austin....the smoke there is obviously better too.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 10:40:28 PM

I believe it's moreso that way because the area is simply poor; they should still have taxes, but because business is bad, the city likely doesn't generate enough revenue to fix all the problems mentioned.  I don't mind that so much, personally; to get the taxis, restaurants etc., you would have to live in the city, where business is great and so the city generates more tax money that it can spend on whatever.  My only problem with this is the amount of people crowded into one area; I'd rather be poor and in quiet, open areas, than crowded in luxury, but that's just me.

The question is, if the city generated no taxes, what would happen to the roads and such?  I wager, if business is mighty in this city, the businesses would have a vested interest to keep the roads in tip-top shape, for that's the golden gateway to customers; people may avoid driving to certain establishments to avoid the poor roads, or worse, people might leave the city, for other cities that are taken care of; a healthy infrastructure is very much in the interest of business, except when government takes the burden, and they no longer have to worry about keeping the roads healthy, but still have to pay for it.  In an area where business is poor, there's just no money or time to worry about the roads, and they fall into disrepair; as is the case with government, if the city cannot generate enough tax revenue through businesses, they still cannot pay the road workers to maintain their roads, and they fall into the same situation, as you've mentioned above.

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 11:19:45 PM

Pretty annoying when you don't give context...
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 11:27:16 PM

Perhaps. Or perhaps he is a batshit crazy lunatic.....
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:10:38 AM

Perhaps. Or perhaps he is a batshit crazy lunatic.....
hha yea soemtimes he seems like that.. but he does call out those and brings questions upfront that need answering and still gets no answers, ie: asking bernanke about the balance sheets at the FED and how they don't add up, aswell as publicizing where the bailout money went (crickets there). Ever read the real housewives of Wallstreet? Nice little article google it.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 09:27:58 PM

Apparently he really is desperate for attention.  The point here is, when it comes down to it he's your typical politician, loudmouthing about everything that's currently popular.
Bitcoin is no exception.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 10:04:02 PM

Pretty annoying when you don't give context...

You provided the context.  Teddy Roosevelt was known as a "Trust Buster".  In his time, a trust was the equivalent of a corporation.  He was the most successful president to stand up to monopolies.  However, you are correct that other politicians who have tried have met an untimely end.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 10:05:50 PM

I visited Yoakum, TX and looked to buy a house there.  It was a very nice 3 bedroom with hardwood floors, large pecan trees, a nice detached workshop, garden space, and a shelter for animals, though I have forgotten whether it was chickens or goats.  The price was about 1/4 of the cost of our Austin house.

It turns out that the people there pretty solidly don't want taxes.  They vote for Ron Paul, and they are happy with no taxes.  As near as I can tell, Ron Paul delivers on his "minimal government" idea, his rhetoric and his action agree with each other.  His district likes him.

I respect this.

The reason that I did not move there was because of all the things that you get with no taxes.  There were holes big enough to swallow a Volkswagen in the roads.  The sidewalks were busted up.  Store after store was out of business.  Many streetlights were burned out.  Many roads within the town were unpaved.  It was like visiting a vibrant ghost town.  We sat with our prospective neighbors across the street.  She was a nurse.  In the conversation, it became pretty apparent that the physicians, nurses, pharmacists, attorneys, were the only people in town who had studied after college.  There was no live music scene, a difficult thing to abandon in Austin.  There was no entrepreneurial environment, unless selling 100 year old rusty horse shoes and kerosene lanterns to tourists, or starting a beauty salon meets your criteria for entrepreneurial.

What are you talking about?

There is no way Ron Paul as a U.S. congressman for a single district in Texas could eliminate taxes. He can't remove your federal or state income tax liabilities, state sales tax, or even property tax, so what are you talking about?

Also, if you want to compare what you get with taxes then try looking at Detroit which has some of the highest property taxes in the nation, fire departments with sewage backing up through the floor and holes in the boots but with the fire chief building a $60M new housing facility.

http://youtu.be/EnpE-faE_IQ

They turned city hall into a den of bribes and kickbacks making themselves rich.

And Detroit is not alone. Governments are inefficient and the bigger they are the more inefficient (and probably corrupt) they are.

Texas has no income tax.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 10:24:51 PM

...he's your typical politician, loudmouthing about everything that's currently popular.
Bitcoin is no exception.
Absolutely incorrect. He has been speaking consistently on the evils of fiat currencies since first elected to congress in 1976. He seems to be speaking about Bitcoin only because other foes of fiat keep asking him about it.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 10:52:46 PM

...he's your typical politician, loudmouthing about everything that's currently popular.
Bitcoin is no exception.
Absolutely incorrect. He has been speaking consistently on the evils of fiat currencies since first elected to congress in 1976. He seems to be speaking about Bitcoin only because other foes of fiat keep asking him about it.

He follows his agenda like any other politician.
forevernoob

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 05:32:12 PM

I respect this.

I suspect the roads weren't privately owned? Real libertarians believe that everything should be privatized.
To be fair what you visited  wasn't a libertarian town.
That's like saying you visited a communist country if you traveled to Soviet.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:31:03 AM

Bitcoin is no exception.

He follows his agenda like any other politician.

Agreed. The difference is that, while most politicians' agendas are set by the changing winds of popular opinion, Ron Paul's agenda has been unwavering for decades. Most of this time, his agenda has been the very antithesis of "loudmouthing about everything that is currently popular". It is only in the time since the financial implosion that his consistent message has become popular.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: