Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:37:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin profitability calculator test  (Read 4378 times)
atomriot (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 02:05:59 AM

So i have used a lot of calcs out there and got annoyed that it didnt really take into account difficulty increases on average or it didnt do this or it didnt do that. Im sure theres some better ones out there but i also wanted to take on the calculation on my own for fun so i threw together

http://btc.anapaapps.com

What did i miss? I know you could probably use an api to get blocks found and calculate next difficulty increase date as well as other key factors but i wanted more of a general profitability over time calculation for now.

What factors have i left out. Please dont rape the page without my permission or i will take it down. It doest look pretty because i made it to return json so i could do whatever with the data.
kostagr33k

Activity: 309
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 04:01:00 AM

Been doing a local one myself ;p Shouldn't the payouts be to 8 decimal places? Besides that it looks great so far!
atomriot (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 04:52:20 AM

Any truncation is done for printing purposes. The json returns the full value but for printing i have adjusted it. Let me know if you find any calculations off.
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 06:55:30 AM

Any truncation is done for printing purposes. The json returns the full value but for printing i have adjusted it. Let me know if you find any calculations off.

"avg days until difficulty increase" shouldn't be user-specified but computed directly from the average increase. A .2 increase means the number of days in the preceding cycle is 14 / 1.2 for example.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 03:51:32 PM
Last edit: August 23, 2013, 04:02:01 PM by lyth0s

Well I would have the projected difficulty increase and time to increase calculated based on the last 2 difficulty increases, BUT also allow the user to adjust them as they desire so they can add in their own speculation if they wish to do so. Otherwise I think it looks good so far. Now just time for some nice user interface.

Edit: Actually it won't let me put in a hardware cost of $0 and it automatically puts it back at $5000.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
atomriot (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 04:07:29 PM

i have made the suggested changes (less the styling request)
seems to be accurate
I also adjusted the calculation to more accurately portray the values if you do not put in a number that evenly rounds to the number of days per difficulty. (like calculating 14 days when difficulty stays the same for 11. it used to show the values for 22 days)

Also removed the un-needed things like break even date, since that is a continually calculated number based on difficulty
phirex

Activity: 27

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2013, 02:06:46 PM

have you tried http://www.coinish.com/calc/ ?
atomriot (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 02:35:03 PM

i was more doing it just to wrap my head around how bitcoin works. but on that calc, it makes it seem like it changes the difficulty on a daily basis for the calculation. or at least, thats what the interface makes it seem like
Eric.DarkSpirit

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2013, 05:03:11 PM

Nice work, that is what I want to do.

However, maybe you missed some important issues, such as

(1) When will the miner begin to work ?  This is very useful for those who want to buy miners. Time is money as for BTC mining.

The result of calculation will make them decide whether they will buy miners or not.

(2) Fill in any blank that you can fill in. Make people easy to use.

Anyway, it is a wonderful program.

atomriot (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 03:35:04 AM

Nice work, that is what I want to do.

However, maybe you missed some important issues, such as

(1) When will the miner begin to work ?  This is very useful for those who want to buy miners. Time is money as for BTC mining.

The result of calculation will make them decide whether they will buy miners or not.

(2) Fill in any blank that you can fill in. Make people easy to use.

Anyway, it is a wonderful program.

On 1. The calculator is assumed you have the miners. There really is no need for an estimation to start halfway through. Its not an exact number.

And on 2, i could use some api's to get things like current rate, i just havent implemented it yet. I do use blockchain.info to get the current difficulty

kostagr33k

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:07:37 PM

any plans on releasing the code open source?

Kosta
atomriot (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:50:17 PM

any plans on releasing the code open source?

Kosta

i havent really thought about it. maybe one day but its not a super difficult calculation. Plus Im still in and out of it a lot making little changes so i dont think it would be worth being open source right now.
atomriot (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 06:53:17 PM

i went ahead and added the max days where coins are profitable. (usd/day > power cost/day)
this is an estimation of course since the rate of btc can do anything during the calculated time frame
it also show the estimated difficulty before coins are no longer being made.

I have been thinking about adding in a section to add hardware after a threshold. like say you want to add asicminer blades once you make enough coin to buy one. so at current price (4btc) after 4 btc has been generated, reduce total btc by 4 and add 10GHs to the hashing power.
so you would have a coin threshold and an associated hashing power increase as well as power rate increase.

is this something that would be meaningful to anyone other than myself? the intricacies of this would be something I would have to play with and would throw off other calculations like the max time hashing is effective but could offer some insight to how best to expand your mining setup.
kostagr33k

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 07:18:16 PM

Well this makes sense, to a certain degree. For example , in the long haul, I may mine with K16 for 4 months until it costs more to power, then to mine.

Then I would replace said HW with "better" HW in theory, as 4 months from now Bitfury and others will have more HW in the market.

It may get complex and separate calculations may work better though

kostagr33k

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 07:20:34 PM

Can you allow pool fee to be 0% , as some will mine themselves?

thanks for the Day of last profit calc also!
atomriot (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 08:49:19 PM

Can you allow pool fee to be 0% , as some will mine themselves?

thanks for the Day of last profit calc also!

Fixed
atomriot (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 08:53:55 PM

Well this makes sense, to a certain degree. For example , in the long haul, I may mine with K16 for 4 months until it costs more to power, then to mine.

Then I would replace said HW with "better" HW in theory, as 4 months from now Bitfury and others will have more HW in the market.

It may get complex and separate calculations may work better though

One way to handle this would be to require multiple calculations to be ran but add a variable of "wait x days first"

Tbis way you could run the initial hardware calculation for the first set of hardware. then Do another one saying wait 120 days then calculate for 120 days. So it still adds up difficulty but just doesnt factor in mining for the first period.
kostagr33k

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 09:38:36 PM

Thanks for fixing that. Another useful option for others would be to request "future predictions" for when they expect to buy there hardware.

Easier way is with each Diff calculation, enter the Week/Month so they can just get the Difficulty and recalculate using todays date, but the Target Difficulty in 2 months lets say.

kosta
kostagr33k

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 11:43:41 PM

Awesome!

Difficulty   btc   btc/day   estimated date
86.93M   26.997   2.314   09/22/13
104.32M   22.498   1.928   10/04/13
125.18M   18.748   1.607   10/15/13
150.22M   15.623   1.339   10/27/13
180.26M   13.019   1.116   11/08/13
216.32M   10.849   0.930   11/19/13

Thanks atomriot
atomriot (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:40:24 AM

I have added on some general info display as well as the ability to add hardware as you mine more btc.

Thinking about adding an "additional hardware limit" so it only adds a certain amount of devices but have not ran through other things i could add.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: