Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:58:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A study on Somalia  (Read 5394 times)
Sjalq (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2011, 12:53:20 PM

Hi guys,

I'm personally not convinced that the Somalia situation is as horrible as the media paints it or as rosey as some libertarian YouTubers suggest but this is a very interesting read.

http://www.pdfchaser.com/Better-Off-Stateless:-Somalia-Before-and-After-Government-Collapse*.html#

Cheesy mine mine mine mine mine mine mine Cheesy
*Image Removed*
18WMxaHsxx6FuvbQbeA33UZud1bnmD7xY3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 01:01:38 PM

Hi guys,

I'm personally not convinced that the Somalia situation is as horrible as the media paints it or as rosey as some libertarian YouTubers suggest but this is a very interesting read.

http://www.pdfchaser.com/Better-Off-Stateless:-Somalia-Before-and-After-Government-Collapse*.html#

This is ... amazing.   This kind of reconciliates me with human kind, although of course I guess Somalia is still in terrible situation, but to know that anarchy has actually improved the economics and even security there, is just a great news.

Sultan

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 01:30:50 PM

With most of the Somalis I know in real life, they would say the opposite.

It just depends on what type of "government" there was in the first place.

At the moment Somalia is run by a tribal system, where clans offer your protection.

In other words, if you have no clan (ie. you are a tourist) you have no safety.

And as far as the economy is concerned, there are more bullets in Somalia than grains of rice.

However I may be prematurely simply quoting my friends, I should read the article.

http://images.onbux.com/banner.gif
I then use the money to buy BitCoins. You can too!
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2011, 01:39:58 PM

Thanks for this article.  I always like to read stuff that supports my view.

Looks like the author Peter Leeson has done some books on "The Economics of (Ocean) Piracy":

"The idea of the invisible hook is that pirates, though they’re criminals, are still driven by their self-interest. So they were driven to build systems of government and social structures that allowed them to better pursue their criminal ends.... The reason that the criminality is driving these structures is because they can’t rely on the state to provide those structures for them. So pirates, more than anyone else, needed to figure out some system of law and order to make it possible for them to remain together long enough to be successful at stealing."

Reminds me of the US government...  The US government people have their own little internal rules and incentive structures allowing them to work together to achieve their criminal ends...

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Babylon

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 01:45:14 PM

My understanding has been, and remains, Somalia is an awful hellhole.

It's better in some measurable ways as a sort of a lawless pirate enclave, it was better in other ways as a brutal dictatorship.  Both suck.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
gene

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 04:05:34 PM

I have witnessed a new low. People discussing Somalia as a compelling case for of Anarcho-Capitalism!

I would laugh if it weren't so disgusting.

For what it's worth, I've met Somalis and military people that served there. The consensus is solid. Somalia is a place where people are forced to live in a subhuman state and ally with some violent local gang to survive.

I always like to read stuff that supports my view.

Why am I not surprised?

*processing payment* *error 404 : funds not found*
Do you want to complain on the forum just to fall for another scam a few days later?
| YES       |        YES |
babisuu

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2011, 04:10:34 PM

What about SUDAN Cry
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 04:18:43 PM

Why am I not surprised?

It is polite to take the most charitable explanation and strongest arguments of a position and work from there. Otherwise, you end up in epistemic trouble.

gene

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 04:25:21 PM

It is polite to take the most charitable explanation and strongest arguments of a position and work from there. Otherwise, you end up in epistemic trouble.

Agreed. However, when someone openly asserts this sort of mindset, they relinquish the expectation of a charitable response. The only appropriate response to such a ridiculous position (ridiculous in the framework of discourse) is ridicule.

Do you want to complain on the forum just to fall for another scam a few days later?
Davex

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 08:34:48 PM

Hey Gene, maybe read the article before you comment. 
The Script

Activity: 336

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 08:41:06 PM

Agreed. However, when someone openly asserts this sort of mindset, they relinquish the expectation of a charitable response. The only appropriate response to such a ridiculous position (ridiculous in the framework of discourse) is ridicule.
[/quote]

I don't believe personal ridicule is ever an appropriate response.  You preach about human solidarity and the worker class uniting to improve their society, yet seek every chance you can find to scorn members of this forum. 

From what I've read, the state of Somalia is highly dependent on where you are talking about.  Everyone seems to focus on Mogadishu, which is indeed a hellhole from all accounts, and ignore other parts of the country.  The interesting thing is that the place where conditions are the worst (Mogadishu) is the only part of the country still controlled by the Somali "government". 

As far as Sultan's statement that tourists are not safe, examine this first hand account: 

"Under the traditions of Somali culture, a guest or visitor or client is called a marti. His patron or host is called an abaan. It is very easy for a person of reasonably good character to find an abaan. Introductions help, of course. Let me note further that in my wanderings around various parts of Awdal, I was accompanied by several Somalis. At times, I was not in sight of any of them. At no time was I accompanied by armed guards. The countryside was peaceful, and the few reminders of warfare were museum-piece tanks and armored cars.

So, it isn't like the sort of war-torn, strife-ridden area that many Western journalists convey the idea that Mogadishu has been for some time. One hardly ever reads of a Western journalist who has traveled as far from Mogadishu as the communities of Baidoa or Kismayo. By coast, Awdal is some 3,000 kilometers away. Somali territory is quite large and diverse."

http://libertariannation.org/a/n030d1.html

Also, I hesitantly refer everyone to the Wikipedia article entitled "The History of Somalia (1991 - 2006)".  Hesitantly, because I don't know how members of this forum view Wikipedia as far as legitimacy.  My own view is that Wikipedia articles are as legitimate as the sources they use, just like any other article.  This one seems to be well cited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Somalia_(1991-2006)
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 09:19:32 PM

The consensus is solid. Somalia is a place where people are forced to live in a subhuman state and ally with some violent local gang to survive.

They always were. That place always was hell on earth.
During the period they didn't have a government and all fighting clans finally realized none of them was powerful enough to become the new government, they've witness few improvements never seen before. Not enough to bring the country even close to current world standards, but a good improvement for Somalia nevertheless. And yes, this period is over, thanks to ONU and other foreign governments...

Just one example. When the government fell, the whole country had one commercial airplane, controlled by the monopolistic state company. At 2005, they had more than 50 if I remember well, and something like 15 companies.
Just read the topic article, or wikipedia:  https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Anarchy_in_Somalia
caveden
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 09:20:27 PM

+1
caveden
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 09:30:28 PM

I also recommend this podcast on the subject: http://fee.org/media/video/stateless-in-somalia/

The part where he explains how money supply stabilized in Somalia is quite interesting Cheesy
gene

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 08:27:03 AM
Last edit: January 16, 2011, 08:41:32 AM by gene

I don't believe personal ridicule is ever an appropriate response.

Of course it can be. This is like expecting a person to not laugh at a good joke.

You preach about human solidarity and the worker class uniting to improve their society, yet seek every chance you can find to scorn members of this forum. 

I contest that I "seek every chance" to scorn. It seems that I am being held to a higher standard that some others. This I welcome.

+1

I read the pdf. It reports some marginal improvements in some metrics. I remain skeptical that this is in any way meaningful or illustrative of a successful case of Anarcho-Capitalism. If people here are interested in furthering Anarcho-Capitalism, it would seem obvious to not present Somalia as a case study. Rather, I would discuss why Anarcho-Capitalism has failed to bring about any real improvements to say... make life bearable for Somalis. That would be far more constructive. The trouble, I suspect, is that the philosophy is fundamentally flawed beyond hope.

Vinnie

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 08:37:44 AM

I've read either this document or another like it. From what I understand just from what I've read is that many regions of Somalia are doing far better under a stable clan system than African Nations ruled by a dictator. I'd expect a long and bloody struggle in any country where the philosophical frame work that makes any form of anarchism possible collides with statism. Much like when the ideas of individual liberty clashed with the concept of the divine right of monarchs as rulers in the west.

Anonymous Cash-By-Mail Exchange: https://www.bitcoin2cash.com
sirius
Bitcoiner

Activity: 429
Merit: 974

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 10:54:34 AM

Somalia's problems are Islam and the culture of violence that evolved there instead of business culture during the government days. Also the foreign armies and the puppet government funded by western countries. But as the report shows, living standards there are now less bad by most measures.

Iris — for better social networks
I'm not a forum admin - please contact theymos instead.
just a man

Activity: 266

Partner of UBER GRAB GOCAR

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 11:22:18 AM

Not read the article yet, but I had heard that piracy in Somalia got going when foreign nations started illegaly fishing in Somali waters and dumping all sorts of waste there, with no Somali state to take official measures against it, who would stop them?

The pirates were fisherman that started acting like vigilante's, now they know the possible rewards of course, they have become fully fledged pirates. I bet the illegal fishing and waste-dumping has slowed down now though...

Davex

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 01:42:05 PM

I read the pdf. It reports some marginal improvements in some metrics. I remain skeptical that this is in any way meaningful or illustrative of a successful case of Anarcho-Capitalism. If people here are interested in furthering Anarcho-Capitalism, it would seem obvious to not present Somalia as a case study. Rather, I would discuss why Anarcho-Capitalism has failed to bring about any real improvements to say... make life bearable for Somalis. That would be far more constructive. The trouble, I suspect, is that the philosophy is fundamentally flawed beyond hope.

Ok, guess you're going to make me spell it out for you. 

Although a properly constrained government may be superior to statelessness, it is not true that any government is superior to no government all. De Long and Shleifer (1993), for instance, find that in pre-industrial Europe, countries without unified governments performed better in some ways than those with absolutist autocracies. If a state is highly predatory and its behavior goes unchecked, government may not only fail to add to social welfare, but may actually reduce welfare below its level under anarchy.2 I show that this was the case with Somalia’s government, which did more harm to its citizens than good. The government’s collapse and substitution with statelessness subsequently opened the possibility for progress.

So the point of the article, which you missed, is that a government can be more harmful than no government.
gene

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 03:48:26 PM

So the point of the article, which you missed, is that a government can be more harmful than no government.

I understand well what the paper says. Your post has essentially reduced the paper into a banality, which it is. And one that fails to provide a compelling case for Anarcho-Capitalism, which is what is being discussed in the thread.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: