Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:08:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did GPU prices just double in the last few weeks  (Read 7065 times)
ruthbabe

Activity: 966
Merit: 275

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 03:04:45 AM

Retail pricing for any cards that can be used for mining has gone up 10-25% compared to last month. Double is only if you don't mind getting screwed or want the cards now with minimal effort.

10-25% is still affordable for small miners. But here in my country, the price goes up to over 100%! The GTX 1070ti one can buy for only $400 (more or less) last year is now over $1000 depending on the brand. The sad thing is its availability, it's harder to find these days... I suspect retailers are hoarding the cards for more profits.

gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 03:34:07 AM

There is no point to buy titan for 3k doing 77mh.

It seems logical for the idiots, if we take current prices, $800 for a rx 580. I bet Titan gives 4 times or more performance than rx 580.

Do you take into consideration that the idiots who pay those prices are a very small percentage of the mining community?  And very new at that.  Probably trying to build their first mining rig.  The number of cards available at those insane prices don't even allow it to make up that much of the market.  We're talking small time eBay sellers ... Small time businesses who only sell gpu's, because they think they can make a buck from it.  None of the large scale retailers are price gouging to the extent that you speak of.  X2, X3, X4.

B&H, Newegg, Amazon, MicroCenter, Fry's, Ect ...  None of them have ever asked $1200, $1300, $1400, $1500 for a 1080ti.  

Some of those companies have platforms that allow for resellers to sell at whatever price they want, through their website.  It's like the "Buy It Now" eBay of NewEgg or whatever other company that offers that to small timers.  

Case in point ... I emailed a Amazon seller that I bought from back in November at a very good price about cards that I wanted a few weeks ago.  Those dumbasses actually sent me an email back saying they some stock, but they could not fulfill my order.  They also wanted X3 per card at the time compared to what I paid them for the same cards in November.  I told them that they were insane and I explained why.  Their reply was that they sell gpu's at current market value.  Perhaps their current market value isn't updated on a regular basis, but I essentially told them to fuck off, and let me know when they wanted to sell their stock.  

If you want to sell a card for $500 when btc is valued at 10K, you shouldn't be asking for X2, X2, X4 when btc is valued at 11K.  That's just hte result of a shortage by the manufacturer and a handfull of stupid idiots.  

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
gotminer

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 03:41:16 AM

I'm going to continue ... I agree with you that people should not be buying up gpu's at current insane prices from small timers.  I don't agree with you in the aspect that gpu mining dies in 2018, because you think ASIC's will take over Equihash.  Who gives a fuck about Equihash.  None of my rigs are even mining that algo today.  You may have not said it in this thread, but you have in others.  And that is where I don't agree with you at all.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
BennyT

Activity: 259
Merit: 108

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 03:42:11 AM

Jeez... what’s with all the hostility? How many times as the shortage hit and prices sky rocket? Then things return to normal, then it happens all over again. Surely we’ve all seen this show already... there isn’t even a new twist, it’s exactly the same as the last 5 times
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 03:43:13 AM

The GPU chip makers are caught between a rock and a hard place.  Now that there is another use for their product the demand has increased, driving prices up.  They will have to come up with a solution that keeps both sides happy.  I don't see this being fixed anytime soon unless they increase their manufacturing capabilities.
gotminer

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 03:51:18 AM

Jeez... what’s with all the hostility? How many times as the shortage hit and prices sky rocket? Then things return to normal, then it happens all over again. Surely we’ve all seen this show already... there isn’t even a new twist, it’s exactly the same as the last 5 times

Oh we have.  Some just don't think the show will go on and on and on.  Some think they know what the end all, be all really is.  Maybe their guess is correct and maybe it is not, but it isn't anything other than a guess.  Anyone entering this market by any means, should consider it to be highly speculative, and be ok with losing 100% of their investment. 

Other than that ... Speculate on, mine on, invest on ...

Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 04:44:38 AM

I told them that they were insane and I explained why.  Their reply was that they sell gpu's at current market value.  Perhaps their current market value isn't updated on a regular basis, but I essentially told them to fuck off, and let me know when they wanted to sell their stock.  

Those resellers or retailers do not know anything about how much people are getting from when mining or using that card to, they base their prices on on how much somebody is willing to pay for a product they are selling, for example where I live RX 580 was $300 before this madness, they had thousands, in just one week, they sold 25% of them all, normally they sell only 10% at best per week, this is usually too much, so they increased to $450 then it continued, sold in the next week 40% more, at $450 and then they increased to $650 and then sold a lot more and now their price is $800 for a rx 580. There is no nvidia card at all, 100% sold. People are paying $800 for a rx 580 right now and if this continues, it will break $1200 for a rx 580. By the way I do not live in the USA, meaning cards are going to whoever pays the most and there are many people paying $800 for a rx 580 where I live.

I'm not a miner, I have a friend who is a miner and he stopped buying gpu's last march. He used to buy rx 470 for $140 and seeing these prices, he told he started selling his cards, best decision he will ever make.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 04:49:11 AM

The GPU chip makers are caught between a rock and a hard place.  Now that there is another use for their product the demand has increased, driving prices up.  They will have to come up with a solution that keeps both sides happy.  I don't see this being fixed anytime soon unless they increase their manufacturing capabilities.

They did however was just a little increase 10% few weeks ago, this is the manufactures and resellers, cause they see bitcoin price and they think those miners are making 12000 dollars very easy. That is why they are doing, and the stupid people keep buying their cards.

Viecoin

Activity: 852
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 04:58:39 AM

Retail pricing for any cards that can be used for mining has gone up 10-25% compared to last month. Double is only if you don't mind getting screwed or want the cards now with minimal effort.

10-25% is still affordable for small miners. But here in my country, the price goes up to over 100%! The GTX 1070ti one can buy for only $400 (more or less) last year is now over $1000 depending on the brand. The sad thing is its availability, it's harder to find these days... I suspect retailers are hoarding the cards for more profits.

Retailers hoarding indeed! I was at my favorite electronics store looking at GPUs and I noticed immediately that there were barely any cards on the shelves in front of me. Like 1 1070 ACX 3.0 for $669 and a bunch of 1030s and 1050s (non ti). An associate asked me if I was looking for a certain card and pointed left to a top shelf over by the printers. Nothing but 1080/ti and 1070/ti stacked high and out of sight for most.
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 07:00:11 AM

Retailers hoarding indeed! I was at my favorite electronics store looking at GPUs and I noticed immediately that there were barely any cards on the shelves in front of me. Like 1 1070 ACX 3.0 for $669 and a bunch of 1030s and 1050s (non ti). An associate asked me if I was looking for a certain card and pointed left to a top shelf over by the printers. Nothing but 1080/ti and 1070/ti stacked high and out of sight for most.

people have wised up, no one is buying cards worth $250- $500 at the $900 to $1k they want

once the stock builds back up probbaly in march prices will become semi normal again
tenebriscaelum

Activity: 462
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 07:12:29 AM

In my country GPU prices are still the same it seams that the mining buzz in here settled down since the AMD RX series has sold out last year along with the crypto price drop last two weeks ago. It seams like only the countries that has a big crypto community is having a price hike on GPU.
Amstellodamois

Activity: 182
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 11:54:54 AM

Metroid> What are you doing here? What value do you bring to this thread?
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 12:14:31 PM

In my country GPU prices are still the same it seams that the mining buzz in here settled down since the AMD RX series has sold out last year along with the crypto price drop last two weeks ago. It seams like only the countries that has a big crypto community is having a price hike on GPU.
May I ask you where are you from? Because everywhere I look GPUs are going for mad prices.  Tongue I'm from Estonia.

Amstellodamois

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 12:51:48 PM

Yes here too, seems this is a US thing going on? Prices are virtually unchanged in the last few months. Also, there is stock everywhere.

--ypsi
How much is a 1080 Ti there?
AlecMe

Activity: 392
Merit: 159

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 01:49:25 PM

Hey,

Would a 1080 at $800 ish ( £565 ) be too much?
I got 2 at that price from gigabyte on the 20th this month and price went up £100 more in 2 days.
I keep thinking I started building a rig to late Smiley (this year)  Roll Eyes
TheMurph

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 01:57:16 PM

I bought 2 gtx1060 last week, around 240$ each one, not so bad
deathland113

Activity: 242
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:14:06 PM

I don't know the fact in this story.
And is it raised from factory or just from middle man and its vendors.
But price keep rising almost 30% just in 2 weeks
Riptide_NVN

Activity: 294
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:23:27 PM

You know what didn't just double but in fact tripled?

The amount of whining, crying, and complaining about GPU mining on gaming forums.   Roll Eyes
BennyT

Activity: 259
Merit: 108

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:49:24 PM

I told them that they were insane and I explained why.  Their reply was that they sell gpu's at current market value.  Perhaps their current market value isn't updated on a regular basis, but I essentially told them to fuck off, and let me know when they wanted to sell their stock.  

I'm not a miner, I have a friend who is a miner and he stopped buying gpu's last march. He used to buy rx 470 for $140 and seeing these prices, he told he started selling his cards, best decision he will ever make.

Lol you mean “worst” decision he ever made. ETH is past $1200.. unless he sold those cards for 5k each... he’s kicking himself in the teeth for how much money he lost. You should cover his dental bill for all FUD you filled his head with causing him to sell
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 03:14:31 PM

Lol you mean “worst” decision he ever made. ETH is past $1200.. unless he sold those cards for 5k each... he’s kicking himself in the teeth for how much money he lost. You should cover his dental bill for all FUD you filled his head with causing him to sell

uh? He bought for $140 and sold for $500, to me it looks a fine deal, staying mining with it longer would never get him even close $500 profit with just 1 card. A rx 470 mining eth is giving miners right now $2.50 per day, so $500 divided by 2.50 = 200 days for him to break even, He made the right decision. You people who buy overpriced gpus are just making people who bought rx 470 for $140 to sell to you trolls for $500 hehe

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: