Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:18:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did GPU prices just double in the last few weeks  (Read 7065 times)
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 03:48:06 AM

Yes, price really goes up, thanks to miners  Grin, joke!
Yes, that is what they really think right now, they don't know that it takes three to six months before we get our return of investments in mining. And they expect that miners were really going to buy high-end GPUs no matter what price they put.
Yes, from the miners, they are greatly benefited, for the producers they produce more and competition out the latest series. of their sellers hope the profits can buying.. Lambo
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:22:05 AM

My friend who is a miner told me today that the resellers are trying very hard to sell their overpriced gpu's right now, before he would not receive any messages from the resellers, now cause the resellers know he bought many from them in the past, they are sending messages to him saying the price and gpus they have everyday, last message he got was that they had only 10 pieces of a gtx 1080ti for only $1180 each hehe, that is bullshit, 3 weeks ago they were selling the same model each for $750. RX 580 for $800, gtx 1070 for $900. His answer was simple, "i will wait till things go back to normal", my friend never paid for gpus higher than msrp and he said he never will and you trolls should do the same, that way those stupid resellers will never price gouging it anymore.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Makak4R

Activity: 266
Merit: 111

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:23:35 AM

I think, that with current trends for BTC the price for cards will start to fall, cause demand from the miner will drop significantly
with such high prices cards have now and so low ROI only very desperate and courageous  miners  will buy new cards and build new rigs. imho.
AlecMe

Activity: 392
Merit: 159

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 04:45:55 PM

Nearly a month later, do you believe demand has dropped ?

I am not seeing any improvement in prices (at least where I live) and everything is constantly out of stock.

Ie. A few days ago received an update that 1080ti are in stock, and decided to purchase 1, but by the time i managed to free some time ( some 10 minutes later) stock was done Smiley.

All the major websites still seem overpriced for me.

Unless this is just for here (uk).

Pekine

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 04:59:34 PM

Rx 580 8g  ====》 580€

I bought mine in begin of January at 300 €
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:09:22 PM

I am not seeing any improvement in prices (at least where I live) and everything is constantly out of stock.

Ie. A few days ago received an update that 1080ti are in stock, and decided to purchase 1, but by the time i managed to free some time ( some 10 minutes later) stock was done Smiley.

Things (prices) have stayed around the same as they were a month ago. So no real improvement, sadly.

Dumpfdoesel

Activity: 32

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:57:23 PM

I think, that with current trends for BTC the price for cards will start to fall, cause demand from the miner will drop significantly
with such high prices cards have now and so low ROI only very desperate and courageous  miners  will buy new cards and build new rigs. imho.

I'm waiting for it to happen, I would like some cheaper cards.
Digital Drug Lord

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 06:55:49 PM

Things (prices) have stayed around the same as they were a month ago. So no real improvement, sadly.

These are the new prices get use to them
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 07:35:32 PM
Last edit: February 25, 2018, 06:47:41 PM by QuintLeo

The REAL issue on the Nvidia side is getting blatantly obvious (and it's NOT "miners", we're not buying enough NVidia cards except PERHAPS the 1060 to matter).

Back in October 2017, TSMC announced they would be shifting Pascal production to Volta production "around the end of the year".
Then it turns out that 4Q 2017 is the first time PC sales overall had an INCREASE in year-to-year sales (predictions were for a 1.5-2% drop, instead we saw almost 2% JUMP) - and "high end systems" saw major sales in the quarter per many reports, AKA gamers buying new systems in much higher numbers than anytime in years.
As a result, Nvidia didn't have enough Pascal GPU stock on hand for the 1060 and up to last 'till Volta release - and we have the HUGH shortage on available GPUs squeezing pricing hard.

This doesn't affect the 1050 or 1050 ti as those are Samsung made, and likely to be the last Pascal cards that Nvidia will replace with Volta offerings (just like they did the LAST time around, when the 1080 was the first "consumer" Pascal card released then the 1070 and 1080 ti, then on down the chain over the course of a few months).

Nvidia doesn't want to admit they messed up (even though the REASON they messed up wasn't really THEIR fault) so they keep pointing to "cryptocoin mining demand" that didn't really EXIST for Nvidia to any significant degree in 4Q.

AMD is another story - Ethereum was expanding hashrate a TON in 4Q to a degree that they probably sold 2 million or so RX 570/580 cards to miners in that quarter ALONE (possibly as high as 3 million, a FEW of the cards sold would have been 1060s due to pricing) and that probably DID affect AMD stocks to a noticeable degree.

The key facts though are that AMD pricing did NOT get into high-end 1070 territory in the fall/winter timeframe, Nvidia-friendly "large GPU count" coins like ZCash were NOT expanding hashrate and in fact saw DIPS in that timeframe, yet Nvidia ran out of cards for sale RIGHT AFTER CHRISTMAS where AMD still had significant stocks for about 10 days after that, THEN went into "no stock available" mode.

It's also noteable that since Ethereum hashrate has gone FLAT for a bit over a week, AMD card supply has noticeably started to recover and prices are dropping, while Nvidia card supplies are STILL "good luck finding ANYTHING that's not out of a gouger and crazy-high priced".

Don't buy the hype about "it's cryptocoin mining fault" on the Nvidia side - the numbers do NOT support that lie.

RAM pricing has also had some effect on pricing - easily noticeable on sites like EVGA that sell direct and are NOT gouging their customers.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
retard75

Activity: 102
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 07:45:50 PM

People are crazy

Well, you say crazy, I say stupid. They will never get their money back and in the end will be in debt hehe

Hehe.
baga105

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 07:52:42 PM

This high prices are good for difficulty Cheesy

Hope it stays this way for some time!

Ass, Gas or Grass! No one rides for free!
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 07:59:36 PM

This high prices are good for difficulty Cheesy

Hope it stays this way for some time!
Grin

Amstellodamois

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 12:44:05 PM

Well, the cheapest 1080 Ti I could find in France is 880 €
I've been trying to sell some of mine (brand new) for 820 €...no luck.

So, I'd say the demand isn't as high as it used to be.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 12:55:08 PM

Nvidia is done with pascal, all pascal gpus are eol, so reason why prices are high, gtx 1070 still being sold for $800 where i live and rx 580 crashed to $500 from $1000.

This means that ETH will rise at least 30% in a week or so, expect eth for $1200 in march now.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Makak4R

Activity: 266
Merit: 111

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 01:44:03 PM

as far as I can see, there are cards already in us, at least radeon with almost normal pricing
also nvidia seems expensive, but the prices are going down a little.
but soon new gen will be on the market, I'm wondering what it would be with the prices
s7ereo

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 02:01:10 PM

as far as I can see, there are cards already in us, at least radeon with almost normal pricing
but soon new gen will be on the market, I'm wondering what it would be with the prices

It depends what do you count as "soon", there are some rumors, that it won't happen anytime nearer end of Q3 or even Q4 of the year, and you shouldn't expect some bargain price either. Nvidia isn't stupid, I'm sure they have a decent finance department and will use current "hype" into their favor. Personally, I'm still active on the market, if I see a decent deal - no hesitation. Today I grabbed 2 gtx 1060s on ebay for 420$, which is really decent.
Toolz77

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 02:02:41 PM

I wouldn't count on seeing any nex-gen cards until at least 3rd quarter of 2018. Even then, prices will be insane.
miakama

Activity: 69

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 02:40:50 PM

Well, the cheapest 1080 Ti I could find in France is 880 €
I've been trying to sell some of mine (brand new) for 820 €...no luck.

So, I'd say the demand isn't as high as it used to be.

The price of 1080Ti dropped $30 in the past two weeks.
Miner_GR

Activity: 16

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 02:46:08 PM

I can find used RX 570 4gb (6-9 months old) for 290 euros and it is very easy no to find at 300 euros. This happned this week as last week I coudn't find any at less than 350. Its a big drop.
Turner223

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 03:27:48 PM

Been finding 570's and 580's on Newegg and Amazon recently for $300-$320. Still tough to find and have to get lucky while it stock, but nowhere near as tough as a month ago.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: