Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:26:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Shed / Room zero-electricity air cooler made from plastic bottles ?  (Read 284 times)
xxcsu (OP)

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 07:00:55 PM

Im one of those guys who built a mining room or shed for my rigs , ASIC miners .
Im located on the south Smiley where the summer temperature sometimes is going over 37-38C or 100F .
I survived the last 2 summers somehow , but i had to cut back the mining power for my rigs during very warm days , this way much less heat was generated. ASIC miners are blowing the warm air to outside via ducts , sucking the " cold ( amb temp outside), filtered " air from outside. but my open frame gpu rigs generated a lot of heat .
I was able to keep the GPU temps under 75C , i have a great airflow in the mining room , pushing/pulling air with high cfm fans.

Then i come across some article about "zero-electricity air cooler made from plastic bottles"

Does It Actually Work? Does It Really Work?

Wit this method from a 112F ( 45C ) temp ppl was able to reduce the temp to 95F (35C ) just with basic , natural air flow , no fans involved , just lot of plastic bottle Smiley

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sjyi

Activity: 182
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 11:17:00 PM

Per the description "Grey Group reports it has the ability to reduce indoor temperatures as much as 5 degrees Celsius"

I think a mining room/shed would need more than 5 degrees of Celsius of cooling.
xxcsu (OP)

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 11:43:13 PM

Per the description "Grey Group reports it has the ability to reduce indoor temperatures as much as 5 degrees Celsius"
I think a mining room/shed would need more than 5 degrees of Celsius of cooling.

5 Celsius less temp in the "mining room" can save you a lot of headache Smiley

In the mining room ( at least in my setup ) there is a high cfm fans , those fans going to pulling the air through those plastic bottles at the intake point , then the "chilled air" going to the room , and the exhaust fan pulling out the warm air...

something like this :

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 01:09:18 AM

I remember reading that article back in the day - if I remember correctly, it was pretty much BS when you got down to the brass tacks of it.  All that it was really doing was reducing the INDOOR temperature by up to 5C, so they were exchanging cooler outdoor air inside a confined space - I think that if you had just opened a window you would achieve much the same results.

If you're looking for 'free' cooling, then you're probably better off looking at how to leverage the air being moved by the fans already in place - for instance, if you're using ASIC miners, then they typically already have pretty controlled airflow and decent fans.  A few years back I designed a plenum case for the S5's and then A6's that used this, and worked very well - so much so I could basically cool the miners by either just using the fans on device, or disconnecting the fans altogether and just use one larger exhaust fan.

If you look at some of those purpose built mines in China, they pretty much have the cheapest possible way to do it - one wall is evap media, the miners are in the middle, and the opposite wall is just louvers to the outside - so the air is moved by the fans in the ASIC's.  But in order to make this work you need to have the machines be pretty densely packed.

One  comment on your sketch - in general you want to reduce the number of times that air needs to 'bend' in order to get the best effectiveness out of things, otherwise you end up with heat pockets and weird vortex situations.  Free-flowing is the ideal, so in your sketch if the exhaust fans were straight (as the air travels) on the other end you'd be the best off.  I also do most of my designs with just a single fan (typically on the exhaust side).  Adding the second fan won't normally add CFM, it just increases the effective static pressure of the whole thing - if you just use a high static pressure fan on the exhaust side, then you'll get the intake for free.  The only other thing to always keep in mind is sizing - so if you have a 24x24 intake, then make sure you have a comparable exhaust.

If you want something exotic on the airflow side of things that is actually real, then check out this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JydG8Iyr7Kw

It uses the Bernoulli principle and falls under the broader description of 'air shaping'... The idea here being that you can leverage the air pressure differential to get the air you're already moving to perform even more work.  I tried quite a bit to use it effectively on some of my rig designs, but was never able to come up with something that was worth the effort it took to implement.

Either way - good luck!  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: