Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:45:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and Gold - origins of value  (Read 2014 times)
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 11:48:45 PM

Had a thought today while running...

There has been much discussion over the value of a Bitcoin when one removes its use as a money. There are issues with the regression theorem, etc.

Gold clearly has value beyond its use as money. Primarily, it looks pretty and is thus perpetually desired for ornamentation. There are other uses, but this is where gold originally got its value - from its pretty shine. Observers of gold are fascinated by it - attracted to it due to its properties.

Well... is this not also true with Bitcoin? When Bitcoin was first discovered and released, was it not initially desired for its curious nature? Were initial adopters not attracted to it due to its strange properties, much like ancient man was attracted to gold? Of course, it's the geeky crypto people who were initially attracted, but I think it's a fair point that they picked up these early bitcoins purely because "they were cool to look at and hold" - albeit on a digital drive.

Even for those like me who don't fully understand the cryptography, Bitcoins are damn cool. They are intrinsically interesting and attractive. Gold is also intrinsically interesting and attractive. Both commodities attract the observer, and their monetary usage subsequently sprang forth in like manner because both commodities possess those properties which make them great forms of money (scarcity, divisibility, authenticity, etc.). Does this not satisfy the regression theorem?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 12:28:39 AM

I would agree that one of the attractions of Bitcoin is its uniqueness.  Whether that attraction can last for even a fraction of the amount of time that gold has kept people enamoured remains to be seen.

I think Bitcoin has enough of the qualities you describe to possibly be a viable currency in the future. 

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
silverchair

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 02:48:28 AM

There has been much discussion over the value of a Bitcoin when one removes its use as a money. There are issues with the regression theorem, etc.

Gold clearly has value beyond its use as money. Primarily, it looks pretty and is thus perpetually desired for ornamentation. There are other uses, but this is where gold originally got its value - from its pretty shine. Observers of gold are fascinated by it - attracted to it due to its properties.

Well... is this not also true with Bitcoin? When Bitcoin was first discovered and released, was it not initially desired for its curious nature? Were initial adopters not attracted to it due to its strange properties, much like ancient man was attracted to gold? Of course, it's the geeky crypto people who were initially attracted, but I think it's a fair point that they picked up these early bitcoins purely because "they were cool to look at and hold" - albeit on a digital drive.

Even for those like me who don't fully understand the cryptography, Bitcoins are damn cool. They are intrinsically interesting and attractive. Gold is also intrinsically interesting and attractive. Both commodities attract the observer, and their monetary usage subsequently sprang forth in like manner because both commodities possess those properties which make them great forms of money (scarcity, divisibility, authenticity, etc.). Does this not satisfy the regression theorem?

Gold is also intrinsically interesting and attractive as to bitcoin as well, I agree to that.

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 08:51:51 AM

Bitcoin doesn't challenge the regression theorem because it has use beyond the monetary one.
For example, we could add some minimum amount of bitcoins that we obtain mining to each of our mails and spamers couldn't do the same.
Anyway, I don't think that money needs another different use to work. It's just a symbol of value.
If bitcoin hasn't any other use, it could still be money.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 10:28:20 AM

In reality Bitcoin was valued originally by entrepreneurs that could see its future value as money. Maybe curiosity was a factor for some too, but if you go and check the early messages on the forum, we really believed in Bitcoin and time is slowly starting to prove us right.

So I say that the initial value of Bitcoin is the value that entrepreneurs assigned to it because it was useful to the "vision" they had.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
jtimon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 12:08:19 PM

In reality Bitcoin was valued originally by entrepreneurs that could see its future value as money. Maybe curiosity was a factor for some too, but if you go and check the early messages on the forum, we really believed in Bitcoin and time is slowly starting to prove us right.

So I say that the initial value of Bitcoin is the value that entrepreneurs assigned to it because it was useful to the "vision" they had.

That's why I think money doesn't need to have other use different than money (like carrots have) to become money. You just need people who value it.
I don't want to convince the intrinsic value believers that bitcoin is an electronic commodity and therefore it can be money, because I don't think moneys need that. Gold could be cheaper and valuable for other uses if it wasn't also a currency.
Nevertheless, bitcoins have value beyond the monetary use. Somewhere in the forum someone said this proof of work required for mails to make spam unprofitable inspired bitcoin in some sense.
I can't find where I read that.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 12:35:03 PM

That's why I think money doesn't need to have other use different than money (like carrots have) to become money. You just need people who value it.
I don't want to convince the intrinsic value believers that bitcoin is an electronic commodity and therefore it can be money, because I don't think moneys need that. Gold could be cheaper and valuable for other uses if it wasn't also a currency.
Nevertheless, bitcoins have value beyond the monetary use. Somewhere in the forum someone said this proof of work required for mails to make spam unprofitable inspired bitcoin in some sense.
I can't find where I read that.

Correct in general. Just a couple of points:

1. Nothing has intrinsic value. Value is always subjective. What people that talk about intrinsic value want to say is that Bitcoin does not have other use apart from being money.

2. Bitcoin does not have any other use apart from being money right now (at least not in a meaningfull way). The idea that Satoshi had and used to create Bitcoin might have other uses, but not Bitcoin.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 04:54:19 PM

2. Bitcoin does not have any other use apart from being money right now (at least not in a meaningfull way). The idea that Satoshi had and used to create Bitcoin might have other uses, but not Bitcoin.

Bitcoin can be used to heat homes in the winter. There is nothing else out there that makes my PC pump out so much warm air.
jtimon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 05:00:35 PM

I know, there's no such thing as intrinsic value outside numismatics.
The proof of work contained in the bitcoins has other uses than medium of exchange, even if it's meaningless. That eliminates the conflict with the regression theorem. You can "attach" them to your mails to give them reputation.
Therefore Bitcoin is not a counter-example to the regression theorem.
I still don't believe that money needs other uses.
Is LETS a counter-example for the RT?
Probably it depends on our definition of money. There's people who think that not even USDs are money, just precious metals.

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 05:34:31 PM

Good that you mentioned numismatics, because it is somewhat similar. No real use besides aesthetic, historic, and bragging rights. Price can fluctuate wildly (if there are more copies of some rare item found, it can devalue several times once the market learns that rarity has dropped significantly), and value is only determined by the numismatics community - if nobody wants your item, for example because you posses a modern counterfeit, it's price is zero. Bitcoin is protected from counterfeits and rarity drops, so it makes a perfect collectible item Smiley

i am satoshi
Leon

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 06:24:11 PM

Yeqh pretty much, but we'll have to wait and see if btc will have the same future as gold.

gribble

Activity: 966
Merit: 552

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 06:51:05 PM

I would agree that one of the attractions of Bitcoin is its uniqueness.  Whether that attraction can last for even a fraction of the amount of time that gold has kept people enamoured remains to be seen.

I think Bitcoin has enough of the qualities you describe to possibly be a viable currency in the future. 
Yep, Bitcoin offers key advantages over gold: transportability, high liquidity
and absolute proof of ownership. Bitcoin’s high liquidity is especially important
for casual traders and conventional investors who can’t added to hold investments in the long run.
That is some reasons the people choose bitcoins, i guess.
Yanisumin

Activity: 648
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 06:12:29 AM

During ancient times where gold is a form of treasure and a medium of exchange because there are no paper money that time, it also serve as a form of power. When. Reading some stories about the past, especially the pirate area where they are looking for treasures, those who have a lot of treasure hold the most power. Gold also bacame a decoration of kingdom and clothing as well as plates of weapons. Because of being physically gifted that don't rust and shines through the years, gold have became one of the most beloved treasure of humanity.

In the 20th century where Bitcoin is introduced, only the one who understand the system is the one who got attracted. Yes we are attracted because of its independency to government and being tax free but it's characteristics to the spectrum waves and complication of codes are still unknown to most bitcoins users.

Metal and frequency (digital) are two different things. But the uses it can give (Bitcoin and gold) are the same.

ladydark

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 07:26:13 AM

Definitely,first investors got attracted by gold's appearance and started to buy it.Later demand for it increased and it lead to its price increase.But there was no such kind of attraction for bitcoins.Tech people were first attracted by bitcoin's functioning in unmatchable blockchain system.Later when its price started to rise,even more people got attracted towards it.

lovesybitz

Activity: 868
Merit: 289

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 10:17:52 AM

In my assessment on this matter was that bitcoin has its own uniqueness were bitcoin fanatic should be proud of. Also gold has its own uniqueness too. However since bitcoin its not an ancient compare to gold but in terms of volatility it is more aggressive than the it has. And like what everybody said, decentralization is the main reason of mine why I was so attracted unto it. 
Duzter

Activity: 1092
Merit: 256

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 10:22:44 AM

Both has got its own value. In the same way the origin too depends on various factors. Bitcoin is completely dependent on technology and the adoption, so more the adoption more will be the growth happening with it. With gold it is purely value backed system which is of commodity value.

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
Stake.com
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
redsun114

Activity: 2534
Merit: 585

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 07:26:50 AM

Both has got its own value. In the same way the origin too depends on various factors. Bitcoin is completely dependent on technology and the adoption, so more the adoption more will be the growth happening with it. With gold it is purely value backed system which is of commodity value.
Yeah, it is quite ludicrous to compare two things that are poles apart. Maybe bitcoins are used by people now as investments and that is why people are curious about figuring out which one is better option since gold has been in investment market for centuries. My vote is in favor of bitcoins for they produce results faster than gold.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
amaral1977

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 07:32:20 AM

I went out running so i could have a glinpsy at your vision a well. I would place these "caractheristics" of both BTC ang Gold on such a group that would make them more of a store of value asset and less a currency. BUt as store of value it´s true that the shine of BTC o a digital drive will make people want it and it´s scarcity will or is driving price up...

██████████ 
        ██████████████████ 
      ██████████▌▐██████████ 
    ██████ ████▌  ▐████ ██████ 
   ██████  ▐██▀    ▀██▌  ██████ 
  ██████  ▌ █▄▄█  █▄▄█ ▐  ██████ 
 ██████▌ ▐██████  ██████▌ ▐██████ 
 ██████  ███████  ███████  ██████ 
 █████▌  ██▀▀▀██  ██▀▀▀██  ▐█████ 
 █████                      █████ 
  █████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████▄▄▄▄▄█████ 
   ████████████▌  ▐████████████ 
    ████████████▌▐████████████ 
      ██████████████████████ 
        ██████████████████ 
            ██████████ 

█████████
█████████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
█████████
█████████

EXCHANGES 

CREX24GRAVIEXBITEBTC

█████████
█████████
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
█████████
█████████
Kakmakr
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 1957

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 07:38:11 AM

Transmitting wealth without boundaries and splitting currencies into 100 000 000 smaller pieces is just too attractive to miss out on. Who will not want to be part of a currency with no central authority? A currency that disrupts multi billion dollar companies? A currency with multiple use cases, like Smart contracts.

Bitcoin has broken the mold and no other currency can keep up with it. The financial world has changed and Bitcoin started it all. ^smile^

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
arpon11

Activity: 882
Merit: 282

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 09:07:13 AM

That is why bitcoin has a limit of quantities to mining.  If the supply is limited then the demand will be high and demand and price has the same move in curve. Gold and bitcoin has the same inherent value and this creates multiplier infect on there price.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: