Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:18:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to reduce stale shares??  (Read 1608 times)
murgorx (OP)

Activity: 443
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 12:19:04 PM

Hello guys! I've been looking around for a simple explanation on how to reduce the stale shares I am getting or any info around it, have been also browsing youtube for some videos, but in 90% of the videos I've only heard what a stale share is without any tips on how to reduce or fix those?
I've been watching my performance rate on ethermine.org and I've seen that my stale share are somewhere around 3-14 per hour. It is not constantly 9+ per hour. I've seen time frames where the stale shares were below 2/3, but mostly they are above 8 and I don't think that's optimal, because they are almost 10% of the shares I am submitting to the pool, which is a lot imo.
If any of you knows how to fix that, I'd be really glad if you could help me out! I've been struggling with my rig for the last 2 weeks or so and I really want to optimize everything.
Thanks for taking the time reading this thread!

BR
murgorx

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ultiman2

Activity: 67
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 12:22:25 PM

i dont think you can do anything about stales shares.

you probably have the same number on other pools but they dont show it
dschwartz0815

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:05:34 PM

Are you on Wifi or running a direct Ethernet cable?

Because of latency on Wifi it may increase the stale share percentage
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 03:09:22 PM

A stale share occurs when you find a share and submit it to the mining pool after the pool has already moved on to the next block. The percentage of stale shares should be very low if everything's working correct, around 2 out of 1,000 shares or so.

Several factors affect the stale share rate. The three most important are long polling, pool load, and miner-to-pool latency.

wifi adds latency, compared to hardwire, to send your shares to your pool. If the latency is big enough, it will produce stale shares. Also, make sure you are connected to the pool that you are closest to, maybe check your ping times to your pool. Claymore will also report, in ms, how long it took for it to submit a share, see if that number is really high.

If you are behind a modem , router and firewall and you did not set up everything on the right way , that can add up extra time for your latency also .

Go to any speed test site , test your ping time to any closest server to your location .

10% stale share is definitely high

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
murgorx (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:20:04 PM

No, I have directly plugged the LAN cable in the Ethernet port.
I bought a patch cable and connected my miner with it to the router.
My internet speed is really good - 55mbps. Me and my girlfriend aren't using the Wi-Fi at home, since we have mobile plans with a lot of data.
Something else should be the problem...
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:20:10 PM

Other than what's been mentioned and in this video, you can try another pool. I think the fixed share difficulty that Ethermine uses is too low for the 15 second block times since the Byzantium fork, which causes too many stale shares. I switched to Nanopool that uses a higher share difficulty and my estimated hashrate on Nanopool is much closer to my reported hash rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpzE1k73JY4

Deathman20

Activity: 33

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:21:40 PM

As a reference I mine zec.
I have 2 different setups and I actually get more stale shares on my hardwired home setup vs my remote wifi setup (different location).  Kinda weird but yes percentages are very low as in maybe 1% of those shares every few hours.  I can go days and not get a single one, and then sometimes I will get a few (what ends up being 16 at a time) during 1 10min block.

I've only noticed stale shares on my 1080TI of the few cards I do run.  Its the only one that does it.
murgorx (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:30:06 PM

Here is a snapshot from the pool I am currently mining on:
https://imgur.com/a/Qf2UF - those are my results for the last lets say 18-20 hours of mining.

As you can see, the stale shares are just over the bearable border :S

I am currently farming on a low difficulty with 5x rx580 sapphire nitro+s(i think the port is 4444). Is the problem with that maybe? total I am getting around 150-155mh/s. Should I switch to a pool with a higher difficulty? If so , could you guys please recommend me one?

xxcsu

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 04:08:51 PM

No, I have directly plugged the LAN cable in the Ethernet port.
I bought a patch cable and connected my miner with it to the router.
My internet speed is really good - 55mbps. Me and my girlfriend aren't using the Wi-Fi at home, since we have mobile plans with a lot of data.
Something else should be the problem...

Go to any speed test site , test your ping time to any closest server to your location .
10% stale share is definitely high

Did you checked the ping time to any server or to your chosen mining pool ?

The Video "Vann" posted earlier explain how to ping your mining pool server .

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 04:18:55 PM

I am currently farming on a low difficulty with 5x rx580 sapphire nitro+s(i think the port is 4444). Is the problem with that maybe? total I am getting around 150-155mh/s. Should I switch to a pool with a higher difficulty? If so , could you guys please recommend me one?

Just noticed your hashing speed , so its basically 30-31MH/s cards , its mean you should have a modded bios , and a lot of overclocking Smiley ( hopefully with the right undervolting values Smiley )
That is can be another problem for stale shares Smiley
You should check for memory errors. Use HwInfo on your rig and check each cards for memory errors .

sonerbo
Copper Member

Activity: 1358
Merit: 523

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:28:06 PM

Hello guys! I've been looking around for a simple explanation on how to reduce the stale shares I am getting or any info around it, have been also browsing youtube for some videos, but in 90% of the videos I've only heard what a stale share is without any tips on how to reduce or fix those?
I've been watching my performance rate on ethermine.org and I've seen that my stale share are somewhere around 3-14 per hour. It is not constantly 9+ per hour. I've seen time frames where the stale shares were below 2/3, but mostly they are above 8 and I don't think that's optimal, because they are almost 10% of the shares I am submitting to the pool, which is a lot imo.
If any of you knows how to fix that, I'd be really glad if you could help me out! I've been struggling with my rig for the last 2 weeks or so and I really want to optimize everything.

BR
murgorx

You must choose nearest location and have a  internet connection with low ping time. Stale means someone found some share with you and was faster then you to report it to poll.
murgorx (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:49:00 PM

Just noticed your hashing speed , so its basically 30-31MH/s cards , its mean you should have a modded bios , and a lot of overclocking Smiley ( hopefully with the right undervolting values Smiley )
That is can be another problem for stale shares Smiley
You should check for memory errors. Use HwInfo on your rig and check each cards for memory errors .

Honestly, my cards were running at 31-32 on stock settings. I just copied 1750 to 2000 and that's all I have done as in BIOS modding.
My Claymore miner settings are -cclock 1200 -mclock 2250 -cvddc 900 -mvddc 900.
Regarding the HWINFO I have been watching them since day one - only one card gives around 5 errors per 2-3 secs. The other are running rock solid.
And in terms of undervolting - the 5 cards are drawing 700-710w from the wall.

EDIT: Also I just pinged the server :

Ping statistics for 94.23.36.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 39ms

I think my connection to the pool is really okay!
yhhy

Activity: 46

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:34:12 PM

To much OC can also be a problem
murgorx (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:11:35 PM

I've set the claymore miner to 1200/2100 and I will see if the high mem clock's the problem tomorrow. I'll leave it for some 8 hours to check how the miner will perform.
Otherwise, from BIOS modding point of view, I have just changed the straps, nothing more nothing less Cheesy

Also, the CPU is idle - I am not mining anything with it - its a G4400. Not worth to overload the rig so much for nothing.
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 09:26:39 PM

I just copied 1750 to 2000 and that's all I have done as in BIOS modding.
My Claymore miner settings are -cclock 1200 -mclock 2250 -cvddc 900 -mvddc 900.
Regarding the HWINFO I have been watching them since day one - only one card gives around 5 errors per 2-3 secs. The other are running rock solid.
And in terms of undervolting - the 5 cards are drawing 700-710w from the wall.

EDIT: Also I just pinged the server :

Ping statistics for 94.23.36.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 39ms

I think my connection to the pool is really okay!

I've set the claymore miner to 1200/2100 and I will see if the high mem clock's the problem tomorrow. I'll leave it for some 8 hours to check how the miner will perform.

Your connection is absolutely look fine , with average 39ms ping time should be more than good Smiley
Maybe the 2250 mem clock the problem , that is really the max limit those cards can handle. Let us know the result with lower frequency and the 8 hours run , i hope that can fix your problems Smiley

murgorx (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 07:37:53 AM

Soo, with the 2100mhs mclock I was able to reduce the stales to 4-5, which is waaay better than the 9+ perm.  Grin
The effect on the hashes is hardly noticeable. Seems like the only thing I am going to tweak is the power consumption from now on. Really happy with the results for now.
Thanks for the tips guys!
kissmarx

Activity: 1106
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2018, 03:34:42 AM

Soo, with the 2100mhs mclock I was able to reduce the stales to 4-5, which is waaay better than the 9+ perm.  Grin
The effect on the hashes is hardly noticeable. Seems like the only thing I am going to tweak is the power consumption from now on. Really happy with the results for now.

Please bear with me, I am a newbie into mining. I don't know how to tweak claymore. I would like to know how do you set the memclock. I have good internet connection. But I also want to reduce the stales I got when mining with ethermine.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 06:41:45 AM

Please bear with me, I am a newbie into mining. I don't know how to tweak claymore. I would like to know how do you set the memclock. I have good internet connection. But I also want to reduce the stales I got when mining with ethermine.

A lot of ways setting mem clocks

If you are using Claymore miner you could do this by adding parameters in your .bat file thru -mclock

example: EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool eu1.nanopool.org:9999 -ewal 0xd69af2a796a737a103f12d2f0bcc563a13900e6f -epsw x -eworker rig1 -mclock 2100

you could also use Overclocking tool like MSI AfterBurner or Overdrive Tool to set your clocks

imine2

Activity: 98
Merit: 4

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 09:37:18 AM

BR
murgorx

https://prohashing.com/help.html    (read everything if you wan't to learn more about mining!)
Go down to subsection:  Rejected Shares
Go down to subsection:  Suboptimal Shares
Go down to subsection:  Orphan Bonuses

Live latency check for miningpools:
https://investoon.com/mining_pools/

Good luck !
kissmarx

Activity: 1106
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2019, 01:28:00 PM

I find it effective to reduce stale shares is if you connect to pools within your region. Connecting to the mining server most near to you will reduce it.

I also find it effective if you use a CL15/16 type of RAM in your motherboard.

A SSD is also preferable than a standard HDD.

Lastly, if you can, avoid connecting your rig via WIFI donggle.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: