Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:34:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blower fans , 2 fans or 3 fans which is the better technology for mining?  (Read 139 times)
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 01:55:36 PM

I'm seeing Vega and the nvida branded cards all have blower style fans now

Should we be looking for blower fan gpus vs the 2 and 3 fan gpu,?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
halker2010

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

The harder your life is the more meaning it has.

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:07:07 PM

well basically custom heat sink are better so 2 and 3 fan gpu cards can be way cooler and last longer specially for mining in the long term i have few turbo 1 fan 1070 and 1080s they reach 74 or even 80 easily because they only have one fan.
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:20:36 PM

well basically custom heat sink are better so 2 and 3 fan gpu cards can be way cooler and last longer specially for mining in the long term i have few turbo 1 fan 1070 and 1080s they reach 74 or even 80 easily because they only have one fan.

So why are all the official video card makers AMD and Nvidia making blower styles now for their flagship models?

If 2 or 3 fans are better then 1 in cooling why have AMD and Nvidia crippled their flagship line up?

I sit here with cash in hand trying to figure it out. I have an msi areo 1070 that's a blower style. The only thing I think it does is keep everything cool. I hear the 2 and 3 fans the heat stays around the case and makes all the components really hot.. the whole card gets hot where my gpu is not hot to the touch

So now if after market 3 fan gpus are better then Nvidia which has been the best permorminl
X299

Activity: 90
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:24:19 PM

If you want to have much lower temperatures, but also silent, you can buy something with custom cooling.
Deathman20

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:29:55 PM

So why are all the official video card makers AMD and Nvidia making blower styles now for their flagship models?

If 2 or 3 fans are better then 1 in cooling why have AMD and Nvidia crippled their flagship line up?

I sit here with cash in hand trying to figure it out. I have an msi areo 1070 that's a blower style. The only thing I think it does is keep everything cool. I hear the 2 and 3 fans the heat stays around the case and makes all the components really hot.. the whole card gets hot where my gpu is not hot to the touch

So now if after market 3 fan gpus are better then Nvidia which has been the best permorminl

Now while manufactures make a reference card, they only intend to make the card function and the specified speeds/performance.  So while the card might get warm/hot, it functions within their spec for speeds at the cheapest cost.  Now you move to a Vendor card that has modified the heatsink or even the PBC slightly to help improve efficiency/cooling.  Even a single fan might cool better due to a different design.  

2-3 Fans are optimal, along with the additional improvements that are done to the heatsinks with vendors vs manufacture reference cards.  Over all the cards I've had over the years 2 fans seem to do better than 3 fans on the card.  Having a case fan actually blow across the card and sucking cold air from outside the case, does more than the 3rd fan on it typically.  Each to their own but if buying I typically will look at an improved heatsink design even if its a few bucks more as it will keep the card cooler and clock higher.  Now that is coming from a gamer/overclocker on the PCs perspective.  
Shnikes101

Activity: 254
Merit: 109

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:31:00 PM

In general, are third party heat sinks and fans better? Yes. This doesn't mean that blower style cards don't have their place:

I love them in my personal mini itx computers - get hot air out of small spaces.
I also love them in my 4u server builds for mining. I have had great success with directed airflow and blower style cards.

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:43:19 PM

Because the goal of a reference design is to demonstrate the capabilities of the new architecture. Blower style coolers work across a variety of configurations, where open fan designs might not. Developing optimal coolers also takes away from their R&D capital without changing the underlying architecture, which is why it's more of an aftermarket thing left for partners to develop.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: