Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:14:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I found 241 BTC from 2014?  (Read 696 times)
merger1 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:14:06 PM

I have been having dreams for the past month about BTC and an old computer I had bought Bitcoin on a long, long time ago. I just found said computer in my grandmother's basement. Booted it up and lo and behold, found a wallet.dat file.

I abandoned Bitcoin a while ago as when I tried spending the Bitcoin, I couldn't for whatever reason.

Here is the reason:

Date: 4/9/2557 BE 03:53
To: (removed)
Debit: -200.00000000 BTC
Net amount: -200.00000000
BTC Transaction ID: (removed)
Transaction total size: 192 bytes Output index: 0

I have two transactions like this. I need to know how to retrieve these coins. If you are capable of doing this, let me know. I have 11 BTC for you if we recover this.

Here are a few screenshots:

https://gyazo.com/95168f2f5aff31d929ac7ed3652fe198

https://gyazo.com/8261fa6b630b9ad61de264505251d960

https://gyazo.com/e1ce14007cd9b773b98c4865daa8ab2e

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SanderM2

Activity: 23
Merit: 6

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:23:16 PM

There are credit and debit transactions.
Maybe the wallet is just empty...

But I think you should exact the bitcoin addresses from it (pwallet), and check those on any online blockchain explorer like [Suspicious link removed].
If there's any balance there we can help you recovering it given the wallet.dat file is not encrypted or you know the passphrase.

If you need assistance with extracting the bitcoin addresses from your wallet.dat file, please send me a pm. I prefer a chat on skype for example for assisting people because a forum is too much work too keep track of all the things I do.
P2Pfinder

Activity: 249
Merit: 109

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:26:19 PM

1) Don't give your Private Key to anyone
2) Don't click to any link that user will send you
3) Follow only instructions from green trust users

Good luck

I have been having dreams for the past month about BTC and an old computer I had bought Bitcoin on a long, long time ago. I just found said computer in my grandmother's basement. Booted it up and lo and behold, found a wallet.dat file.

I abandoned Bitcoin a while ago as when I tried spending the Bitcoin, I couldn't for whatever reason.

Here is the reason:

I have two transactions like this. I need to know how to retrieve these coins. If you are capable of doing this, let me know. I have 11 BTC for you if we recover this.

SanderM2

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:29:17 PM
Merited by marlboroza (3), Jating (1)

just checked your images more closely.

There's +200 and -200, so that's 0
then there are couple other + transactions and a bigger - transaction.
Not all transactions are visibile in your screenshot but I suspect the last one at the bottom (not shown in your screenshot) is +5 ?

If so, then your wallet is empty.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16624

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 02:32:23 PM
Merited by paxmao (1)

That's a seriously messed up date!

Is there any chance this is an altcoin wallet? The highlighted address 12VNcW4eAgcozMWEXLfFm6QsRPwdnsdHCd has never been funded with Bitcoin.
I checked the usual supects (Doge and LTC), but they both don't show anything on that address either.

The ? in Bitcoin Core means "unconfirmed". I think your incoming transactions never happened on the Bitcoin blockchain.

Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:41:36 PM

Is there any chance this is an altcoin wallet? The highlighted address 12VNcW4eAgcozMWEXLfFm6QsRPwdnsdHCd has never been funded with Bitcoin.
I checked the usual supects (Doge and LTC), but they both don't show anything on that address either.

The ? in Bitcoin Core means "unconfirmed". I think your incoming transactions never happened on the Bitcoin blockchain.
Exactly what I was about to type.
Even 1PReUA2YBkyajXh8eBAB4rc2jeP2RXw3xF that supposedly received 200BTC has never had a transaction in the bitcoin blockchain.
If OP pasted a transaction ID, then we could scour different blockchains for where that transaction is valid.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:47:51 PM

184Q4QuMUfovpUPPs5ivDuUwbHApNSGSxN also never used:

https://blockchain.info/address/184Q4QuMUfovpUPPs5ivDuUwbHApNSGSxN

SanderM2

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:53:49 PM

Yeah, I suspect the wallet.dat file isn't a bitcoin wallet and loading a wallet from a different coin in bitcoin core will do strange things like that.
I've seen it happend with a friend a while ago.

I don't know about dates but it certainly showed bitcoin addresses and transactions too and none of them were in the blockchain.
Sounds like the same problem here..
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:57:30 PM

Yeah, I suspect the wallet.dat file isn't a bitcoin wallet and loading a wallet from a different coin in bitcoin core will do strange things like that.
I've seen it happend with a friend a while ago.

I don't know about dates but it certainly showed bitcoin addresses and transactions too and none of them were in the blockchain.
Sounds like the same problem here..

Exactly this. You need to try loading this wallet.dat into the correct type of wallet - if not BTC, maybe try LTC or DOGE as suggested above.
Alternatively you could supply us with some of the txid's that the wallet has listed and we can all look for where it came from (simple parse of block explorers).
I did this recently with a different altcoin - tried loading it into my doge wallet and it had a ton of transactions, and eventually I learned it was from a totally different coin and the Doge wallet was trying to parse them.

Good luck.
fwman

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:32:17 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2018, 07:44:27 PM by fwman

Have you tried other methods?
Extracting private keys from the core wallet and put to Electrum wallet and checking the amount? Did you check the address from online Bitcoin block explorer sites?
Which version of Bitcoin are you using?
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:36:47 PM

If it is a wallet.dat file it could be for any of the other altcoins that were about in 2014, there were far less than there is now so have a think of what coins you had at that time.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 06:27:02 PM
Merited by RodeoX (1)

I noticed the same.

The dates are messed up, so there is something "off" about that wallet.  Not exactly sure what.  Perhaps an altcoin, but the user claims that it came from a /bitcoin directory of some sort (in 2014 were there any popular altcoins that were so lazy that they used the bitcoin directory name for their data)?

Also, NONE of those addresses (received to or sent to) have ANY history in the bitcoin blockchain.  It would be interesting to know what the rawtransaction contents are for the earliest transactions "received" at the wallet.  Just to see if their inputs are in the bitcoin blockchain.

Also, the subject line on this claims that these are from 2014.  Bitcoin was more than $300 per bitcoin for almost the entire year. Did the user actually purchase, misplace, and forget about over $75,000 worth of bitcoins?!?

I'm doing what I can to help, but a whole lot of what we're being told here just doesn't add up.
Zackgeno96

Activity: 1778
Merit: 520

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 10:44:24 AM

Are you sure it was a bitcoin wallet ? It could be of any alternate currencies wallet, so just try to remember. I had a look at your screen shots and it seems that the wallet is empty as there are high amount of debit transaction also. You can try your luck and be careful from the scammers who are just waiting for the people like you. All the best mate.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 01:22:59 PM

How you can determine which coin a wallet.dat belongs to besides trying each one?
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 07:34:51 PM

Are you sure it was a bitcoin wallet ? It could be of any alternate currencies wallet, so just try to remember. I had a look at your screen shots and it seems that the wallet is empty as there are high amount of debit transaction also. You can try your luck and be careful from the scammers who are just waiting for the people like you. All the best mate.

the most popular back then was probably litecoin, try that first
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2856
Merit: 769

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:20:17 PM

It already been checked by LoyceV
stating above :

which these address isn't on litecoin also. This really put question on my mind since theres no single transaction been found on blockchain.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 01:53:59 AM

It already been checked by LoyceV
stating above :

which these address isn't on litecoin also. This really put question on my mind since theres no single transaction been found on blockchain.

Load the wallet.dat into the core wallets of Doge/LTC and it will generate an address for those coins using the pairs in your wallet.dat - so it will look like a valid wallet but will act similar to what we are seeing here.
There may be a more direct way to convert between multiple wallet formats but I once loaded an altcoin wallet into my Dogecoin wallet and thought I had found 3-4M Doge, only to later realize it was a different altcoin.

Worth a shot.
warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 09:29:15 PM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

Do bitcoin clients and wallets follow the time shown or used on the computer they are installed on? If they do, then I guess OP is probably in Thailand because 2557 converts to 2014:

http://dateconverter.net/thai/2557/?hl=en

Thai years are usually expressed in Buddhist format which would BE 2557 in the example above. To correct it, OP should set his device’s calendar (or time & date settings) to Gregorian.

baobao2000

Activity: 462
Merit: 23

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 10:36:49 PM

The wallet is not finish synchronising.  How about you try first to synchronising the wallet, open wallet overnight and wait and see after. It might take a day or two to finish. After  that check the balance in the wallet.
BenOnceAgain

Activity: 208
Merit: 84

🌐 www.btric.org 🌐

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 11:43:59 PM

Here is the reason:

Hey there! Think about if you experimented with any other cryptocurrencies back at the time. Many were forked from the Bitcoin core code. Make a backup copy of the WALLET.DAT that you do not load on any software, just work from a copy of the file for your experimenting.  If the wallet file is from a fork (another kind of cryptocurrency) it's impossible to know for sure that it won't end up getting corrupted.  Of course, do not share the private key or the wallet file with anyone or any website.

Then, as others have suggested, you can try searching the transaction ID and/or the public address on block explorers.  Make sure it's the public address.  Guard your private key just as you would a combination to a bank vault, because that's essentially what it is.

Best of luck with your found wallet!  If you are able to access a wallet with a balance, even if it's an altcoin, we can help guide you to an exchange so that you are able to exchange the balance for your fiat currency, or even better, convert it to Bitcoin.

Best regards,
Ben

Dream it. Plan it. Build it.
Need help with your project? [MY WEBSITE] | [MY COMPANY] | [BLOG] | [TWITTER] | [LINKEDIN] | [EMAIL]
Want to help support the blockchain charity I'm building? [LEARN ABOUT BTRIC] | [DONATE] | [TWITTER] | [EMAIL]
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: