Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:38:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USB Block Erupter Cooling device - IN PROGRESS  (Read 1200 times)
xslugx (OP)

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 12:57:59 PM

Hello everyone,

Over the past few months I have been researching and reading and testing. I noticed some ways to cool down the Erupters with small clip on heatsinks and I've also seen the sand down the backside of the unit and rubber band it to a heatsink. So after all these ideas I have come up with a few solutions on which I will be releasing photos soon. These are just for the extension of the erupters life and not to catch anything on fire. it will be usb powered and I might put a molex with a controller for the fan. When the unit is complete it will be a thermal solution for up to 4 erupters, it will come with its own usb hub or usb extension cables, a fully enclosed housing for optimal cooling of the erupters. It will also come with thermal compound. I am at the point I just need the material to build the case and a way to power the fan. as it stands now the heat from the erupters is now taken in by the heatsink. I have a second unit going into testing as soon as the first unit is completed. The second unit will take a bit longer to complete as it is an entire usb hub enclosure device. I am also trying to keep costs down so if and when anyone else wants one it won't be too much.

Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 02:22:26 PM

Sorry I have to ask why?

Unless you have figured a way to overclock them, a simple fan blowing on them is sufficient.

xslugx (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 03:58:30 PM

I think your missing the point, its about longevity, a fan is not enough to cool it down and make it not hot to the touch.but if no one else wants one that's fine but I would rather a positive response than a negative one.

HTML5 Gordon

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 04:41:30 PM

Actually, my simple usb fans are keeping them cool enough to touch with no problems.  They do get ridiculously hot without a fan, but they are barely even warm with just a simple fan blowing on them.
xslugx (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 12:07:31 AM

Im still gonna do it out of curiosity and because I cannot leave well enough alone  Grin

xslugx (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 06:30:27 PM

So I finally have mounted my miners to the heat sink and thus mounted a fan as well (modified for USB). It is in a very ugly state at the moment as I have no materials to create the casing The unit is capable of cooling 4 Erupters at a time.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9E539C5766A5C317!12403&authkey=!AOdjBbQSMuLPTjQ&v=3
http://sdrv.ms/1d8xP7u
http://sdrv.ms/1d8xTnO - the dog hair clump that I apparently got on the unit..that's free of charge Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: