Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:28:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard drive issue  (Read 136 times)
BTC22 (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 04:11:23 PM

I'm using liquid cooled GPUs and well, I woke up to one of the hoses broken and the liquid leaked onto the hard drive area. The MOBO boots up and if I load a USB drive with Windows it reads it. The problem is the hard drive says 0 available space and won't let me create a partition. I'm assuming it's shot?

In short, won't boot from hard drive.
Deathman20

Activity: 33

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:07:52 PM

I'm using liquid cooled GPUs and well, I woke up to one of the hoses broken and the liquid leaked onto the hard drive area. The MOBO boots up and if I load a USB drive with Windows it reads it. The problem is the hard drive says 0 available space and won't let me create a partition. I'm assuming it's shot?

In short, won't boot from hard drive.

So it won't boot from the drive but you can physically read it still?  Seems odd if the HDD is shot and can read it still.
Is this a Mechanical HDD or SSD?
BTC22 (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:13:49 PM

Yeah it's an SSD. It's very strange. I should mention, I can read it when I go to try to reinstall windows. When the unit boots, it goes directly MOBO bios.
2stout

Activity: 2366
Merit: 586

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:26:41 PM

Is the hard drive at the top of the boot order?
rem26

Activity: 78

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:46:01 PM

I had a mouse crawl into my CNC mill and make a nest.  I had an SSD in the machine that was not in a case - Said mouse deposited 'fluid' over the course of several weeks until the machine quit running.

The drive would show up with the ATA 'identify' command, but trying to read most sectors resulted in command errors, i.e. your computer can see there is a drive there, but I suspect that you will have trouble getting the data off.

I had to replace mine.
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:21:43 PM

Liquid on electronics won't (usually) damage anything... until you turn the power back on, that is.

For a hail mary - that is, a real long shot - you can try rinsing with distilled or deionized water, then with 91% (or, even better, 99%) isopropyl alcohol - the latter is often sold as water remover for fuel - then leave it in a warm place with air blowing over it to dry; give it at least 24 hours. After all that try powering it up again.

dschwartz0815

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:07:05 PM

Have you tried using a Windows bootable USB (since you said it'll read that) to repair Winodws or perform start-up recovery?

Could be worth a shot before purchasing a new one
BTC22 (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 02:01:46 AM

Have you tried using a Windows bootable USB (since you said it'll read that) to repair Winodws or perform start-up recovery?

I tried, the problem is the SSD was reading ZERO available space. I ended up getting a new one anyway. Thanks for your help.
zeef

Activity: 301

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 03:23:13 AM

I tried, the problem is the SSD was reading ZERO available space. I ended up getting a new one anyway. Thanks for your help.

Glad you resolve teh problem hehe
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: