Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:22:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about Double Spending & many more.  (Read 204 times)
SimplyEverything (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 16

Escrow

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 04:21:36 PM

How does double spending works and what's the impact?
I know the term double spending but how do you do it and why?
Transaction.
I have sent a transaction with a fee of $0.3 I tried txid accelerator but it doesn't seems to work. Can you confirm your own txid ? How?

-Peace-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 04:33:38 PM

Depends on the wallet, different wallets have different processes to double spend (or don't allow you to). Double spending basically replaces a transaction that you have already made, by spending the same  input multiple times (hence the term 'double spending'). Only one can get confirmed, so the others stay unconfirmed forever.

Let me know the txid and the wallet you use, and I can help you double spend with a higher fee so that it's confirmed.

taking a break - expect delayed responses
SimplyEverything (OP)

Escrow

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 04:54:55 PM

Depends on the wallet, different wallets have different processes to double spend (or don't allow you to). Double spending basically replaces a transaction that you have already made, by spending the same  input multiple times (hence the term 'double spending'). Only one can get confirmed, so the others stay unconfirmed forever.

Let me know the txid and the wallet you use, and I can help you double spend with a higher fee so that it's confirmed.
So basically sending transaction out with low fees and after that sending it with higher fees with the same amount? Double spending is used by Scammers right? So how double spending does the scam? Normally sent out BTC doesn't allow you to cancel the transaction right?
I used BlockChain wallet to send out.
The txiid is there https://blockchain.info/tx/72c4eadfe654f79307936ec0a2de74c87e5e92414120227d3ce8e15962556ee6

-Peace-
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:44:44 PM

You can find a pretty decent write up on the Bitcoin wiki. Most merchants / Bitcoin users can avoid double spends by waiting for confirmations, or only using well-known nodes, for example.
Maybe you can read the website below and do more research and if you have more specific questions do a follow up.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Irreversible_Transactions

AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:58:42 PM

Depends on the wallet, different wallets have different processes to double spend (or don't allow you to). Double spending basically replaces a transaction that you have already made, by spending the same  input multiple times (hence the term 'double spending'). Only one can get confirmed, so the others stay unconfirmed forever.

So basically sending transaction out with low fees and after that sending it with higher fees with the same amount? Double spending is used by Scammers right? So how double spending does the scam? Normally sent out BTC doesn't allow you to cancel the transaction right?
The txiid is there https://blockchain.info/tx/72c4eadfe654f79307936ec0a2de74c87e5e92414120227d3ce8e15962556ee6

I doubt that double spending sees much use by scammers nowadays, as it will only work with people who don't have a basic understanding of the bitcoin network/blockchain -- To them it might look like the transaction is incoming, while it actually is never going to confirm.

It is much more often used by people performing RBF - Replace-By-Fee, -- rebroadcasting their transaction with a higher fee, as Darkstar already stated.
Normally sent out BTC doesn't allow you to cancel the transaction right?

No, but it doesn't prevent you from sending out these coins again with a higher fee to another adress, thus making them confirm faster while it looks like they're going to be received by another adress.
(Atleast that is the case with most wallets, eg electrum.)

Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:38:33 PM

that's why never proceed transaction deal if your payment hasn't received at least 1 confirmation
some exchanges or services even put a higher minimum required confirmations before they credit your account
your tx has low fee, and with that low amount transacted it's better to wait rather than DS or CPFP

flammeur

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 08:27:07 PM

Sorry guys but i didn't get how works the 6 confirmation

if i send 0.1 btc with low fee and then 0.1btc with high fee , the first transaction will stay unconfirmed after 6 block anyway because of the low fee ?

also if send the money to an exchange why the exchange does not wait the transactions to come through instead of 6 block?

very confusing for me
SimplyEverything (OP)

Escrow

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 08:30:35 PM

Sorry guys but i didn't get how works the 6 confirmation

if i send 0.1 btc with low fee and then 0.1btc with high fee , the first transaction will stay unconfirmed after 6 block anyway because of the low fee ?

also if send the money to an exchange why the exchange does not wait the transactions to come through instead of 6 block?

very confusing for me

The more fees you put into a txid it will gets confirmed first, normally if you sent thru an exchange it has a fee for sending and it would be sent with a higher fee because sending out from an exchange everyone pays an amount of fees and transactions will be SENT together as 1, correct me if im wrong.

Depends on the wallet, different wallets have different processes to double spend (or don't allow you to). Double spending basically replaces a transaction that you have already made, by spending the same  input multiple times (hence the term 'double spending'). Only one can get confirmed, so the others stay unconfirmed forever.

I doubt that double spending sees much use by scammers nowadays, as it will only work with people who don't have a basic understanding of the bitcoin network/blockchain -- To them it might look like the transaction is incoming, while it actually is never going to confirm.

It is much more often used by people performing RBF - Replace-By-Fee, -- rebroadcasting their transaction with a higher fee, as Darkstar already stated.
Normally sent out BTC doesn't allow you to cancel the transaction right?

No, but it doesn't prevent you from sending out these coins again with a higher fee to another adress, thus making them confirm faster while it looks like they're going to be received by another adress.
(Atleast that is the case with most wallets, eg electrum.)

Thank you for all the replies, the fees of BTC went low and i got my TX confirmed Cheesy

-Peace-
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: