Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:18:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AMD Radeon 6990M!  (Read 2948 times)
ElectroGeek007 (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 04:44:38 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/12/amd-announces-the-radeon-hd-6990m-has-some-pointed-words-for-nv/

Basically, the specs of a desktop Radeon 5830 in a notebook GPU. Good for notebook mining, it you are into that sort of thing, as well as frying eggs, if you know what I mean... Shocked Wink Oh, and it can probably game pretty well too.

"And what the enemy will see, they will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 04:49:05 AM

*calculates how long to pay for itself*

Meh, I still can't justify it.  Sad
kloinko1n

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 04:04:02 PM

And here is the laptop:

Video Card (options):

* 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M
    * Dual 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M – NVIDIA® SLI® Enabled
    * Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M – NVIDIA® SLI® Enabled
    * Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6990M AMD CrossFireX
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 08:39:00 PM

And here is the laptop:

Video Card (options):

So that thing equals roughly a single desktop 6970 in rendering power (2x mobile 6990s) which is actually quite amazing for a portable system. Even a single one equals about a Radeon 5830 or 6850.

I just wonder how a laptop is going to cool two of those chips in Crossfire.

p.s. If the cooling is not a problem, that system could mine about 600mhash/s worth

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
kloinko1n

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 02:22:15 PM

And here is the laptop:

Video Card (options):

So that thing equals roughly a single desktop 6970 in rendering power (2x mobile 6990s) which is actually quite amazing for a portable system. Even a single one equals about a Radeon 5830 or 6850.

Yeah, me too. Maybe they reduce the clock speeds?

p.s. If the cooling is not a problem, that system could mine about 600mhash/s worth
Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 08:49:45 PM

My M17x has two 5870m cards and has been mining non-stop for about two weeks now.  I can't imagine the M18x, a newer and better designed laptop, would have any problem cooling the 6990s.

Might have to step up...glad I didn't pull the trigger on the 6970s!!

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Pipesnake
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 08:52:54 PM

*calculates how long to pay for itself*

Meh, I still can't justify it.  Sad
If it helps, laptop components maintain their value far longer than their desktop counterparts.

A year from now a desktop 6990 might be worth a quarter of what it's worth now.  The 6990m will almost be selling for the same price it sells for now.

Search eBay for Mobility 5870 or even 4870 and you'll see what I mean.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 09:19:32 PM

A year from now a desktop 6990 might be worth a quarter of what it's worth now.

Not really. Even the 5970 desktop dual GPU has retained 95% of it's original value since it's release in 2009, 2 years ago.

Those are sold by amateurs who think they're worth a lot & can scalp buyers,
or chinese manuf. with random stockpiles, you can't even upgrade GPUs on the vast majority of laptops

On most laptops (except very high end ones) they are soldered onto the motherboard so there is no way to switch them out

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 09:21:21 PM

Not really. Even the 5970 desktop dual GPU has retained 120% of it's original value since it's release in 2009, 2 years ago.

Fixed it for you...

Mousepotato
Pipesnake
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 09:17:41 PM

A year from now a desktop 6990 might be worth a quarter of what it's worth now.

Not really. Even the 5970 desktop dual GPU has retained 95% of it's original value since it's release in 2009, 2 years ago.

Those are sold by amateurs who think they're worth a lot & can scalp buyers,
or chinese manuf. with random stockpiles, you can't even upgrade GPUs on the vast majority of laptops

On most laptops (except very high end ones) they are soldered onto the motherboard so there is no way to switch them out

The main reason the 5970 still has so much value today is due entirely to bitcoin.

The MXM 3.0 slot is slowly being adopted by laptop manufacturers and will soon be the standard for the mobile video card market.  Those "amateurs" don't think they are worth a lot.  They are worth a lot.  Mobile gpus still go by the old rule "half the power at twice the cost".

Nousplatform Youtube     
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: