Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:56:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinWiFi Hotspot - Ready for Production, and Shipping Worldwide to customers  (Read 5780 times)
Kris (OP)
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 10:26:33 PM

Build it with an ALIN board to cut costs. pfSense runs beautifully on there and form factor is much smaller.

Hmm the first thing I found when searching for ALIN board was pills.. however I was interested in finding out if it has enough juice to run proper as a multi user router.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grobbes

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 10:59:11 PM

Shit sorry, LOL, ALIX boards are what I meant. They sell all boards/cases/CF's separate or you can buy already built ones.

Netgate is a provider but ALIX sells direct too.
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 11:21:21 AM

I can see the regulators swarming anyone who tries to make a living selling wifi to people, shutting them down, and saying "You are running an unlicensed internet service provider."

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 01:41:37 PM

I can see the regulators swarming anyone who tries to make a living selling wifi to people, shutting them down, and saying "You are running an unlicensed internet service provider."

Not all governemnts have such draconian regulation agencies. And how would these regulators find the owner of the address the BTC gets sent to in any case? Might be a poor investment if it gets confiscated before it pays for itself, but that depends on how it's advertised  Cool

Vires in numeris
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 03:52:22 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2013, 06:47:05 PM by TippingPoint

Numerous, inexpensive, lower capacity BitcoinWiFi Hotspots will have greater survivability than fewer, expensive, high capacity BitcoinWiFi Hotspots.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 04:10:52 PM

Numerous, inexpensive, lower capacity BitcoinWiFi Hotspots will have great survivability than fewer, expensive, high capacity BitcoinWiFi Hotspots.

Exactly, the trick is to have AP's that are completely cheap and disposable, that do a good enough job.

Vires in numeris
FreeTrade
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 06:45:52 PM

This is very brilliant, and possibly the second killer app for Bitcoin. Thanks so much Kris, you're a visionary.

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 10:38:49 PM

Not all governemnts have such draconian regulation agencies. And how would these regulators find the owner of the address the BTC gets sent to in any case? Might be a poor investment if it gets confiscated before it pays for itself, but that depends on how it's advertised  Cool

Let's say you don't run into the regulation problem. Why pay for wifi access when there will probably be free wifi around somewhere? Many businesses are offering free wifi as a way to bring in customers. Why spend bitcoins on this when you could run over to the nearest Starbucks/hostel/etc.? I think this is a really cool idea. I heard Amir Taaki talking about it in an interview. I'm just thinking of what its best-use cases are.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 06:04:56 AM

BitcoinWifi Prototype Video

Irony - video not enabled for mobile.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Kris (OP)
Donator

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 08:56:35 AM

I am unsure what you mean ?, I am not a youtube expert ?
Kris (OP)
Donator

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 08:57:04 AM

This is very brilliant, and possibly the second killer app for Bitcoin. Thanks so much Kris, you're a visionary.

Thank you very much!
bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 05:38:57 PM

I am unsure what you mean ?, I am not a youtube expert ?
if you try viewing the video from a cell phone such as iPhone or Android it gives an error saying the "uploader has not made this video available to mobile devices"-or similar wording. I think there is a check box somewhere to enable mobile viewing but I'm not sure where

{ BitSpill }
Kris (OP)
Donator

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 06:52:59 PM

UPDATE, UPDATE

I have found and contacted another provider of the parts I need to built the BitcoinWiFi Hotspot, and can now get the parts much cheaper!

The current price is now only $350 and everyone with an order on the old price, has been refunded the price difference!
I hope to lower this even more to around $250 or less, however this require that BitcoinWiFi receives 10 orders at a time, so I can make bulk purchasing of the parts for even lower cost.

Also I've had quite a few interested parties interested in sponsoring BitcoinWiFi, this should bring for some interesting modifications!
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 02:05:45 AM

Great work ... of course there are lots of ways one can talk about to do this but getting a product on the market is the only way to actually DO IT.

Well done Kris, wish you the best in your ventures. As to spurious concerns about 'regulation' at this early stage (whoTF  are these people that go around tinkering with computers always wondering "what will my government think if I write this s/ware?" whilst wetting their pants in fear) ... you could always encrypt all through traffic by default and use plausible deniability protections ... way off in the future besides.

RAVENCROW

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 12:40:32 AM

cant wait to get money together to get one of these very cool!

฿Allaboutbit ฿฿Cludcoin ฿[/color]
Bitfiniti

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 01:09:35 AM

A project I have been working on in my spare time is now complete!

BitcoinWiFi Hotspot

Introduction

1. User connect to “BitcoinWiFi” and by visiting a website, brings them to a captive portal where it displays. Pay (defined by the operator) Bitcoin for 24 hour, 5 days or 1 month access.

2. User can easily pay by pre-generated QR code or Bitcoin URI. Bitcoin connections on port 8333 is always open, and access are granted to the most popular hosted wallets.

3. To generate QR codes and Bitcoin URIs, the operator can define Invoice API key of their payment gateway in the settings of the BitcoinWiFi unit.

4. The unit features a captive portal, a small web server. By parsing the blockchain for payments the unit opens the internet connection for paying users in real-time.

5. The operator have the possibility of receiving the payment directly to their bank account in local currency via the payment processor or keep payments in Bitcoin.

http://BitcoinWiFi.me/

Customizable and Open source – The BitcoinWiFi unit can be converted and refurbished to an mini-PC by replacing BitcoinWiFi open source firmware with custom firmware.

Responsive web design - The Captive Portal is built with responsive web design, providing a seamless experience for mobile users as well.

Return on investment is not guaranteed, but if you set it up in a crowded place, one can only imagine?

If you think you can help with this project, please get in touch with me.

Awesome project. Even more awesome(er) that it accepts Bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: