Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:29:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Active Bitcoin nodes per day since December - cool charts  (Read 2671 times)
imperi (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 05:14:33 AM

Normal scale

Log scale

This shows how many connected nodes there are to Bitcoin since December. The first date displayed is December 18, 2010, and the last date displayed here is July 12, 2011. I used the data from http://dump.bitcoin.it/misc, and counted the number of occurrences for Status:"Up" for each day. As you can see, Bitcoin is not dying.  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 05:18:30 AM

what exactly is a node.  Is me running a client a node? Is my miner a node? not sure what a node is.
imperi (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 05:20:13 AM

what exactly is a node.  Is me running a client a node? Is my miner a node? not sure what a node is.

I think it is clients only, but could be wrong. It's probably the Bitcoin process running on your computer (bitcoind or bitcoin.exe).
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 05:21:49 AM

what exactly is a node.  Is me running a client a node? Is my miner a node? not sure what a node is.

Should be clients only. Afaik you can't tell if a client is mining and you could mine on 10000 machines and only appear as one node.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 05:22:42 AM

yeah - i'm not sure either.

what comes to mind is a solo miner - because running the client 24/7 is identifiable on the 'net.  which means there's a helluva lot more people mining and using than we've been thinking.  does this node chart detect pooled miners?  i suspect not.
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 08:03:27 AM

Great stats!

Would love to see something like this updated on a website daily.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
Nescio

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 11:38:45 PM

As you can see, Bitcoin is not dying.

Well, it does look like an asymptote towards 100k users, so unless something changes it will die since you need a little bit more than that for critical mass (like a few million). That change needs to come from mainstream merchants supporting it.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 11:43:05 PM

A 'node' is someone running the bitcoin client.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:03:31 AM

A 'node' is someone running the bitcoin client.

so it's really only representative of solo miners, right?

i mean, how many people start their client even once a day - or once a week, for that matter?

pooled miners probably never (effectively) run it.

i've gotta think we're approaching half a million users.  it just doesn't show up on this chart.
muyoso

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:09:39 AM

i mean, how many people start their client even once a day - or once a week, for that matter?

i've gotta think we're approaching half a million users.  it just doesn't show up on this chart.

I never close mine down.  Why would I?  I am a pooled miner.  I want my BTC in my wallet the instant a pool sends a payment, and have never had to wait more than an hour to have funds confirmed.

I drink it up!
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 04:10:30 AM

Solo miners and those who keep their client running for other reasons as well/

I keep mine running all the time. I doubt I'm typical though.

i've gotta think we're approaching half a million users.  it just doesn't show up on this chart.
Hard to say. People who use services to hold their wallets also won't show up as nodes.

Jaime Frontero

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:11:41 AM

I never close mine down.  Why would I? 

so are you mining solo?

why else would you run the client 24/7?
Leon

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:12:16 AM

Very cool, thanks for the post.  Grin
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:17:06 AM

i've gotta think we're approaching half a million users.  it just doesn't show up on this chart.

I never close mine down.  Why would I?  I am a pooled miner.  I want my BTC in my wallet the instant a pool sends a payment, and have never had to wait more than an hour to have funds confirmed.

i'll confess that i don't understand this.

leaving your client running 24/7 is an invitation to a hack.  you know -- port scanners?

and what's the difference if your pooled mining proceeds show up in your wallet more or less instantly?  they're in the blockchain.  that's all that matters...

i mine pooled.  i open my client maybe once every two or three weeks.  from the account of a separate user with an extremely restrictive firewall.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:26:42 AM

leaving your client running 24/7 is an invitation to a hack.  you know -- port scanners?

and what's the difference if your pooled mining proceeds show up in your wallet more or less instantly?  they're in the blockchain.  that's all that matters...

i mine pooled.  i open my client maybe once every two or three weeks.  from the account of a separate user with an extremely restrictive firewall.

Having a port open on a specific range above 1024 forwarded to a single machine on your internal network isn't that damaging. I've done it for my entire career on the internet, with proper internal security measures in place. (Up to date OS, anti-malware, virus-scanning. Not to mention 'safe' data-handling for any unknown binaries.)

Also, I don't know of any current exploits that could use port 8333 of the bitcoin protocol as an attack.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
muyoso

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:27:36 AM

so are you mining solo?

why else would you run the client 24/7?

No, as I said I mine in a pool.  Why shut it down though?  What purpose does shutting it down serve?

I drink it up!
muyoso

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:33:03 AM

You sound beyond paranoid.  Do you burn the machine with thermite after your client updates the wallet and you back it up and encrypt it?

You can't imagine how not worried I am about someone scanning my ports and hacking me.  I am sure there are a hundred other ways for someone to hack me if they want to.  If you think the measures you are taking would stop a determined hacker, you are probably sorely mistaken.

I drink it up!
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:43:53 AM

You sound beyond paranoid.  Do you burn the machine with thermite after your client updates the wallet and you back it up and encrypt it?

You can't imagine how not worried I am about someone scanning my ports and hacking me.  I am sure there are a hundred other ways for someone to hack me if they want to.  If you think the measures you are taking would stop a determined hacker, you are probably sorely mistaken.

you completely misunderstand.

i'm not paranoid - i have tremendous faith in the blockchain.  i don't have the need to see the Bitcoins in my client - i'm quite sure they're there.

as for my approach to security...  i see no reason to run things i don't need, and no reason to have ports open that i don't use.  to me, this is just common sense, gleaned from decades of internet/usenet/network usage.

one can run an open box, and shut off the things that appear to be dangerous - or one can close a box off completely, and open only those things which need to be used.  < shrug > YMMV
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 05:24:12 AM

If the client has a vulnerability that allows someone to steal from it over the network, I'm willing to lose a few coins in exchange for knowing that. The network needs high connectivity stable nodes that can accept inbound connections, and I'm more than happy to provide a few. (The total number of bitcoins stored on all the clients I keep running continously -- less than 2.)

Jaime Frontero

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 05:28:49 AM

If the client has a vulnerability that allows someone to steal from it over the network, I'm willing to lose a few coins in exchange for knowing that. The network needs high connectivity stable nodes that can accept inbound connections, and I'm more than happy to provide a few. (The total number of bitcoins stored on all the clients I keep running continously -- less than 2.)

that seems a reasonable approach.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: