Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nvidia  (Read 1028 times)
Vit83

Activity: 644
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2018, 09:15:07 AM

When will be new nvidia generation cards? May be they can produce more cards? Samsung is going to produce asics chips and new memory. This can solve gpu problems ?

tadeus1

Activity: 140
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 09:15:53 AM

1 april.

They will produce as much as they project they can sell, no matter mining or not.
They earn on sold cards. Their profit is approx 2x on the cost for manufacture + the usual  other expenses r&d, etc.

Memory seems the bottleneck last years because nowadays it's used everywhere.
klintistwood

Activity: 157

Out of the box is where I live

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2018, 10:04:15 AM

I don't see mining having ANY effect on their roadmap as such.
Support for efforts to create mining-specific cards from their existing GPUs, sure - but the mining market is to VARIABLE to plan a roadmap around for a GPU company.

maybe not on their roadmap but it will inevitably have an impact on their pricing, when offer and demand are distorted like it is today, it will have an impact on pricing. If they do as if there was no difference for them (which might be the case), prices are likely to go up fast and stocks go down.

13 GPU Nvidia Rig running under Ubuntu 16 (eth hash rate: 300+Mh/s @ 1000W for whole rig): 3x EVGA GTX 1060 3Gb (24MH/s @ 65W) + 6x MSI Armor GTX 1060 3Gb (24MH/s @ 70W) + 1x MSI GTX 1060 (24Mh/s @ 65W) + 3x Zotac GTX 1060 (24MH/s @ 65 W). PSU 2400W, Asrock ASRock H110 Pro BTC+, cheap Chinese risers, Kingston SSD 120Gb, 8Gb memory. Selling some of my GPUs (around 200€, still under warranty), if you're interested, contact me in private.
Vit83

Activity: 644

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2018, 10:15:31 AM

Looks like before new anounciation IMHO no sense to buy nvidia cards on x2 price:)will wait fee months:)

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 12:43:48 AM

You can get NVidia cards at minimal markup - with a LOT of patience, or a willingness to "go small" on the GTX 1050 and 1050 ti models (which are NOT in short supply, still sell for LESS than MSRP in many cases, and use GPU chips made by Samsung as opposed to the GTX 1060 and up being TSMC made GPU chips IN VERY SHORT SUPPLY).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
coins4commies

Activity: 952
Merit: 175

@cryptocommies

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:09:49 AM

So now I'm hearing rumors that NVIDIA will skip the voltas and move on to the amperes.  What does this mean? Do you think they will be out in April?  I'm thinking it will be more like Fall 2018.
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 05:59:28 AM

The new Ampere cards will prolly be out in fall 2018. They wont make new 1080TIs and 1070TIs until then. The perfect time to sell your current cards would be in the beginning of June. The demand will be highest, and the supply will be lowest. No one will know the hashrate of the new cards, so its abit of a gamble. Will it be worth buying the new ones? It almost always is.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 09:36:32 AM

So now I'm hearing rumors that NVIDIA will skip the voltas and move on to the amperes.  What does this mean? Do you think they will be out in April?  I'm thinking it will be more like Fall 2018.

I've seen the same rumors - and they all seem to have ORIGINATED from a single source that was SPECULATING.

The only hard info at this time on Ampere out of NVidia is "the generation after Volta" - and there are comments from folks that ARE in the know (like TSMC) that indicate the next generation consumer cards WILL be Volta.

I would not expect to see actual Ampere hardware 'till somewhere in 2019 at the earliest.

Given the TSMC announcement about shifting production TO VOLTA GPUs "around the end of the year" I expect Volta to get announced in early Spring and possibly be available immediately, for at least the first higher-end models - though actual sales might be delayed a month or two after the announcement like Nvidia has done before, they HAVE to be feeling some pressure to get SOME high-end cards back in the market ASAP.

Interesting thing, I'm starting to see some spotty availability improvements on the AMD side - but not on the Nvidia side so far.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
tenebriscaelum

Activity: 462
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 01:41:20 PM

For me it is a good move since the GPU market is solely been held by crypto miners which is not good for the target market of these products, though they manufacturers do not have the control of selling this card it is the distributors that should implements this. Although there are cards that were released for mining it seams like miners do not like it because of its warranty.
Riptide_NVN

Activity: 294
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 02:04:37 PM

The first ones released will be blower cooler models.  Demand will be through the roof.  Prices high.

Good luck obtaining one.  You'll have to camp out and snipe cards as they get in stock.  Or compete with bots to get one.

Unless the crypto market goes further down and stays down for months.  Then it may be easier to  score a GPU.
kriskarthik

Activity: 258

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 03:03:21 PM

This announcement is just a drama towards Gamers. I don’t believe they really care as a business who buys and uses their graphic cards and for what. This is where they make a lot of money.

BennyT

Activity: 259
Merit: 108

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 03:37:17 AM

While I agree it sucks that cards  are expensive right now. Waiting a few months defeats the purpose of mining. The mining difficulty is ever increasing so you want to mine as much as you can today, for tomorrow’s increase in the coin. While the price today of mining indicates an ROI of longer than it will be to wait and save cash to buy the card, this has never been the way to get the most out of mining.

The one caveat to this is we have both a GPU shortage AND a market crash. You’re better off buying coin in this situation. If it was only a GPU shortage, then you were better off buying cards no matter the increase (to a certain extent).  For example, if you believe Ethereum will EVER reach 2k, why would anyone care to save $200 today? Makes no sense.
Riptide_NVN

Activity: 294
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 03:46:38 AM

Bit of a conundrum isn't it?

How to get the most out of mining.  Mine alts and hold for long term value or sell short for Bitcoin. The latter has a larger tax liability but guaranteed profit. The former is cheaper on taxes and has potential for huge gains if you hold the right coin.  Could also get burned and hold the bag full of something totally worthless.

Interesting choices.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: