Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:21:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ICO pre-mine allocation  (Read 132 times)
Bitcope (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:04:20 PM

Trying to understand the ecosystem of coins and its distribution. For any business use case type of coins (utility coin) developers pre-mine certain % of total coin supply in order to have a stake in the game. What are some fair percentage of pre-mine coins that developers take for incentive? For example, a dev team takes 15-25% of total coin supply before releasing for ICO, and each dev team member would split that further. Is this fair?

sparg

Activity: 280
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:18:48 PM

Of course it is fair because it is theyre project and nobody is in this game to do charity. They should work for some kind of compensation and beying payed in tokens means that it is in theyr interest to add value to that token. In every bussines the managers board are payed better than the rest of people. The most common percentage i saw that the devs keep is something like 15%. And lets not forget that there are some costs in order to run all the operations.
So yeah, i believe that is only fair and the best way that we know that they give theyre best for the project.

thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:24:11 PM

Of course it is fair because it is theyre project and nobody is in this game to do charity. They should work for some kind of compensation and beying payed in tokens means that it is in theyr interest to add value to that token. In every bussines the managers board are payed better than the rest of people. The most common percentage i saw that the devs keep is something like 15%. And lets not forget that there are some costs in order to run all the operations.
So yeah, i believe that is only fair and the best way that we know that they give theyre best for the project.

While it is fair, it is a very negative trait and will most likely ruin your project. "Pre-mine" is an instant alarms trigger in the cryptoworld when it comes to scam. Ideally, you want to be able to find other ways to get money yourself out of your project. Typically, no one believes in your project or few people do, so just like satoshi, you should mine your own project right at the beginning of the launch, or whatever other method to quickly obtain tokens but do it after it's released for everyone to see. While some pre-mined coins like Darkcoin succeed, it is a very strong burden to carry in the long term. ZCash for example is ruined because of the stupid coin distribution where devs get a % from.
Bitcope (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:34:21 PM

Great, just wanted to know statistically what % of pre-mine people are seeing. 15% sounds about right. I am starting to wonder what % each dev member gets out of the 15% of pre-mine as a start-up.... I am sure it is not even split unless they are all founders.
Bitcope (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 05:53:03 PM

While it is fair, it is a very negative trait and will most likely ruin your project. "Pre-mine" is an instant alarms trigger in the cryptoworld when it comes to scam. Ideally, you want to be able to find other ways to get money yourself out of your project. Typically, no one believes in your project or few people do, so just like satoshi, you should mine your own project right at the beginning of the launch, or whatever other method to quickly obtain tokens but do it after it's released for everyone to see. While some pre-mined coins like Darkcoin succeed, it is a very strong burden to carry in the long term. ZCash for example is ruined because of the stupid coin distribution where devs get a % from.

True, I agree that people look down on this for short term as people are in for trading and pre-mine can move the market price at early stage of the ICO. Is pre-mining and "mining at launch" the only way to fund the project?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: