Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 10:36:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: any other forks besides bch giving btc equiv?  (Read 94 times)
soy39 (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:11:50 PM

I was quite happy with the bch fork.  Are there other forks that give btc holders a share of the new offerings simply for owning btc?  Smiley
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:26:54 PM

I was quite happy with the bch fork.  Are there other forks that give btc holders a share of the new offerings simply for owning btc?  Smiley

There are tons of forks out there. I have lost track of them, so basically I don't know what the exact amount of total BTC I own now because of all these stupid forks. I cannot be bothered to move my private keys around to access coins which could be scams as in the clients having malware and whatnot.

Bitcoin Gold, Bitcoin Diamond, Super Bitcoin, United Bitcoin, Bitcoin Silver, Bitcoin Platinum... I reckon I must have a decent chunk from the sum of all these coins, eventually I will get around it and access them and sell them all.
Flamedyr

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:31:23 PM

Go to coinmarketcap, type in bitcoin, and you can see for yourself how many forks there are. Most of these forks are complete garbage that serve no purpose, but somehow people buy it up. I think a couple days ago Bitcoin Candy forked from BCH or something... it's getting kinda ridiculous.
jtipt

Activity: 1064
Merit: 529

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:36:30 PM

Go to coinmarketcap, type in bitcoin, and you can see for yourself how many forks there are. Most of these forks are complete garbage that serve no purpose, but somehow people buy it up. I think a couple days ago Bitcoin Candy forked from BCH or something... it's getting kinda ridiculous.
Yeah lol. BCH just created a new way for altcoins to be created, atleast before there was some originality now it's just competing for the bitcoin name. At first fork served the purpose of implementing things that BTC did not have or wasn't ready to get, but now it's just for wanting the BTC name.
soy39 (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:50:05 PM

I can foresee a problem with some forks saying 'Here, you have x of the new coin for having btc at present.'  If one wanted to cash those out, what exchanges will handle the transaction?  Coinbase for instance withheld the bch after the fork for some months before allowing trading but steadfastly won't trade most others.  There was a risk, and those of us who got burned badly by MtGox losing our coins, felt pressure to take out btc from exchanges and move the coins to a personal wallet.  I resisted, trusting that Coinbase would do the right thing, it being watched closely by the government and based in California.  The successful bch fork vindicated that trust.

I suppose the way to go would be if the new coins had an exchange that would allow cashing in for eth and sending those to a Coinbase address.
soy39 (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 05:01:23 PM

I understand that one did not need to have one's btc on an exchange in order to get the bch but it was easier.

How does one go about taking ownership of any of these other coins based on btc ownership at the time of that new coins creation and which are they?
londoireng

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 05:17:34 PM

I understand that one did not need to have one's btc on an exchange in order to get the bch but it was easier.

How does one go about taking ownership of any of these other coins based on btc ownership at the time of that new coins creation and which are they?
Go to wikipedia, see the date and on what block fork happend. if at that time you store bitcoin in your wallet you can claim the forked coin at their official website by export your privatekey from your wallet and import it there, make sure thats the real website not a phising web.
soy39 (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 05:29:03 PM

Go to wikipedia, see the date and on what block fork happend. if at that time you store bitcoin in your wallet you can claim the forked coin at their official website by export your privatekey from your wallet and import it there, make sure thats the real website not a phising web.

Looking at CDY now.  I see: In the case of CDY, holders of BCH will receive 1,000 CDY for every BCH they hold. WBTC, on the other hand, will airdrop 100 tokens for every BTC. It should also be noted, that Coinex is the only exchange currently trading CDY and thus if your tokens are not held in a BCH wallet, you may not be eligible to claim the hard fork. (from: https://cryptoticker.io/bitcoin-candy-world-bitcoin-mined/).  

So, kind of the reverse of the bch fork, easier, eventually, if one had one's btc on Coinbase rather than in a private wallet.  The CDY makes having the bch in a private wallet necessary to possibly 'be eligible to claim the hard fork'.

It would be nice to see CDY listed among CoinGecko's 1149 listed cryptocoins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: