Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 08:41:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fees are killing/have killed Bitcoin.... it is sad but true.  (Read 660 times)
Zentor

Activity: 378
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 09:27:46 PM

Nope. Already near 19% of transactions are using SegWit and transaction pool is not so big as it was. Also now a correction continues so price of almost every cryptocurrency is very low
Anti-Cen

Activity: 210
Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 09:29:26 PM

The huge fees is getting its solution I think its the chronic disease of FUD's that is killing bitcoin in general. If we see as a whole today there are lot of people involved in crypto trading so just a slightest of a rumour is more than enough to burn the whole market these days. Fees problems is getting solutions like the lightning network and segwit. Segwit itself has been good at removing high fees problems.
The FUD is often based on facts like slow speeds, high fees and you forget that Segwit came out five months ago and fees just kept going up
so trust in the development team has been lost because they sat on their hands and did nothing. Lightning Network now has the spot light
on it and many developers don't like what they see and Mr Poon is not answering emails

Have you taken the time yourself to read the lightning white paper to understand just whats going on ?
https://lightning.network/lightning-network-paper.pdf
Quite simply if you care to look the correct name for "Hubs" is banks and Channels are "Credit Lines" but if your not convince
then search the document for "Savings Account"

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
maaydin

Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 09:30:01 PM

I am sure that in the future the fee problem will be solved for btc cuz if it is not solved it obviously will harm btc more and more until some other coin takes it`s place.
Pleione527

Activity: 266
Merit: 111

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 09:30:25 PM

It is true transaction fees really affects the bitcoin market from gambling, sending fund, shopping online amd even making just a sort of withdrawal there is also certain cases where the amount of fees is higher than what you are going to expense. I think this is an important issue that needs solution from developers of cryptos because if this will continue I don't think the market can stay for long
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 09:32:33 PM

When did you send you last transaction? What services do you use to estimate your fees? People are simply overpaying for their transactions. I have seen quite a few transactions which were confirmed with a fee 60 sat/b so it isn't a lot. Most of the exchanges and web wallets don't allow you to use your custom fee. There is no room for small transactions in Bitcoin these days so that is why we need Lightning Network which aims at making micro-transactions possible. Give it some time, don't overpay.
I usually check the actual fee structure (usually several times a day) on blockchain.info:
https://blockchain.info/charts/mempool-state-by-fee-level
Today I just realized something weird:

It's OK that the regular fee is around 50 sat/B, it's very friendly rate compared to the end of last year...
But what the heck is that pack of the 1sat/B transaction with the size more than 40 MB?
Is this a bug in the blockchain.info script or I don't know. I just can't imagine that people are sending their transactions with such a low fee. Even if they're thinking about accelerating the transaction later on, ViaBTC needs at least 10 sat/B for a transaction to include it into their free spots.
I'll have an eye on that for now
Anti-Cen

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 09:36:02 PM

Nope. Already near 19% of transactions are using SegWit and transaction pool is not so big as it was. Also now a correction continues so price of almost every cryptocurrency is very low

Mempool at about 135,000 today and in the past it was at the same number so if fees are set by "Market Forces"
then how come they are about $15 today and in the past when the pool had about the same number were we charge
$40 ?

Monopoly by miners maybe https://blockchain.info/pools or was the code changed in the full nodes to simply use lower fees
Hey you don't think the BTC prices going down has anything to do with what miners can rip us off for do you   Cheesy

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
Schmolke (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 09:46:24 PM

I am sure that in the future the fee problem will be solved for btc cuz if it is not solved it obviously will harm btc more and more until some other coin takes it`s place.
I'm ready to be stoned for my next words but I'm pretty sure that the problem will be solved within the next 2-3 years because at this point >90% of all people have moved on to other coins (because you can't do shit with bitcoin anymore). I expect bitcoin to become finally stable at about 250$ in 2020 or 2021.  Wink
Anti-Cen

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 09:46:43 PM

But what the heck is that pack of the 1sat/B transaction with the size more than 40 MB?
Protest vote and people are sending $0.01 maybe and I don't blame them myself

Why don't these sites just give us the cost in $UDS because that's what we pump into the machine

You broke my browser you know

Sir Cross

Activity: 336
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 09:49:46 PM

These transaction fees has surely discouraged a lot from the use of btc and has left the others with nothing much to do. There is hope on the imposition of the lightning network, and the use of segwit addresses has alleviated it. If the transactions fees and long confirmation time were not given a solution, it would definitely make it hard for bitcoin users from utilizing the coin.

LeveldKrypto

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 10:04:40 PM

But the problem is that it will be never be solved. A lot of people are here only for making money purposes,and they all are trying to do as much as possible in order to earn. And what do you think, they will risk all their money just because of a dip? of course not, that is why they sell everything.
Definetely an issue worth solving.
For now, im holding and trading only the extreme price changes.

Well i believe that BTC have such a high status, that people will want to trade it.

I believe that eventually the whales will sell out, the coins will be devided on more persons, and the price will stabilize much more because one guy selling will not make the same impact on the price.

I dont see BTC as a usable currency in the future, rather as an asset, traded like gold between its owners, and traded because of its status. In this scenario the fees will not be just as inportant, because people will not use it in everyday life, but only as a longterm investment.

But this is just what i think, and the chances i have foreseen the future is literally extremely low, because there are so many possible outcomes. 
nankers

Activity: 634
Merit: 118

Bounty Hunter Indonesia

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 10:05:01 PM

yeah agree with your statement...as we know that bitcoin prices jumped drastically in the last year but the price makes the fee for each transaction more expensive too and it makes all the prices that use bitcoin as a means of payment to be unreasonable.example like you say the price of a coffee cup 5$ plus a fee 20$, so the price for a coffee if using bitcoin be 25$.if you thinking is a insane price of coffe cup a 25$.perhaps if things continue like this, everyone will turn to invest from bitcoin to altcoin

▀█████▄▀██▄▀█▄          H   E   L   E   N   A          ▀▄▀          1,000,365%   APY          ▄█▀▄██▀▄█████▀
▄                    |          TWITTER          |        TELEGRAM        |          DISCORD          |                    ▄
▄        The Best in Space Auto-Compounding DeFi 3.0 Protocol on BSC        ▄
trobin

Activity: 177
Merit: 102

🤖UBEX.COM 🤖

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 10:07:39 PM

These transaction fees has surely discouraged a lot from the use of btc and has left the others with nothing much to do. There is hope on the imposition of the lightning network, and the use of segwit addresses has alleviated it. If the transactions fees and long confirmation time were not given a solution, it would definitely make it hard for bitcoin users from utilizing the coin.

The fees have severely harmed bitcoin but they have definitely not killed it, there are still solutions in the pipeline and people have belief for the future. If it persists for a long time then it can really damage bitcoin but it won't come to that.

ajmapalo22

Activity: 266
Merit: 122

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 10:09:43 PM

I really agree time will come most people would rather hold bitcoin as an invetment and not a currency because using bitcoin really suck due to high transaction fees with this thing the market of bitcoin might fail and people will shift to alternative coins which are faster and has a very small fees. As much as investors would love to have bitcoin because of fees they might make a lot of thinking and this will really kill the market bitcoin which has been establish for a decade
mayidid

Merit: 102

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 10:37:12 PM

This is a problem for Bitcoin that they need to get fixed. The network gets bogged down the more transactions there are. Bitcoin will most likely be a coin for storing value in the future because of the high fees and slower transaction times unless they can come up with a fix for it.
Pab
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 10:38:19 PM

If will be less transactions miners will move to other  coins
But to be honest what is a usage of other cryptos almost any
Now there is some chaos with mining becouse chanise miners are moving away from China
Some chinise illegal small chinise farms have been shuted down
Generally there is low lquidity

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Anti-Cen

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 10:39:53 PM

The fees have severely harmed bitcoin but they have definitely not killed it, there are still solutions in the pipeline and people have belief for the future. If it persists for a long time then it can really damage bitcoin but it won't come to that.

The name you were looking for was "Lightning Network" but I am sorry to say but I have investigated it, read the white paper
and the hubs are banker, Bob turned into Alan Greenspan, Alice ran off with the milkman but please don't let me stop you from reading it.
https://lightning.network/lightning-network-paper.pdf

Hang in if you can afford to loose or get out whilst you still can

farhaan

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 11:38:03 PM

Why are they switching to Ethereum? That has its own fee and chain freezing problem too. As soon as something is used en masse then this will happen. If everyone switched to LTC it would happen eventually too, though it does indeed have more capacity.

That's why we've sat waiting to see if layer 2 stuff works. No conventional blockchain will ever, ever scale enough to satisfy everyone's daily spending.
Absolutely even other coins too would face such a problem if used in huge volume.Its totally surprising for me to hear that they have switched to ethereum.

▄▄ ▀█▄▀█▄ ▄ ▄
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀ ▄
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀█ ▄█▀  ███▀██▄▄▀
█████▀▀█ ██  ███ ██████▄▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄█ ██▌  ███▄▀██████▄▀
█████▀ ▀▄ ██▄  ▀███▄▀▀▀▀▀▄█▄▀
 ▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▀▄ ▀██▄  ▀▀████████▐▌█
  ██████  ▀▄ ▀██▄▄   ▀▀▀▀▀ ▐▌█▀
   ▀██▀  ▄▄▀▀▄ ▀▀████▄▄▄▄▄█▀ █▀▄
       ▄███▀  ▀█▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▀ ▀▄
       ▀██▀  ▄███  ▀█▀▀█▀▀▀▄ █▄
            ▄███  ▐██▌ ██▌ █▄ ▀
              ▀   ███  ███  ▀
ONSTELLAR   ▄████▄▄
  █████  █▄
 ▐██████████▄▄
 ▐███████████▀█▄
 ██████▀▀▀▀████▀
 █████           ▄▄▄▄                        ▄▄▄
▐█████▌       ▄▄███████        ▄▄████▄      ▀▀███
███████      ███████████      ████████▌       ███
███████▌    ███████▀▀▀███    ▐████   ▀▀
████████   ▐██████▌    ▀▀     ▀▀▀
█████████  ███████
▐█████████   ▀▀▀▀
  ▀██████▀
FROM THE PARANORMAL TO THE METAPHYSICAL
THE WORLD'S FIRST SOCIAL NETWORK
WHERE THE UNEXPLAINED LIVES...

▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄▄▄▄▄█████████████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄█████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄███████████████████▀▀▀▀▀███████████████████▄
█████████████████▀
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄▀█████████████████
████████████████
███████████████ ████████████████
▀██████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀▄██████████████▀
▀▀▀██████████████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████▀▀▀▀▀
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
TELEGRAM
BountyX

Activity: 352

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 11:59:54 PM

Yes, you are right, fees are making BTC unusable for anything which is not trading. It is totally ridiculous to keep this situation like this. Bitcoin is now just an asset, not a currency. Hopefully the introduction of the Lightening Network will improve the situation, but I've read that it may take time.

Tramle091296

Activity: 462

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 01:14:22 AM

Bitcoin has a high transaction fee when the price goes up. that's why you cant say that always the transaction fee in bitcoin is to hurts in our wallet. and also switching on  different currencies is like in bitcoin to. if there's a high demand to them the price of transaction fee will get high too.

We can wait for the price goes down then try to buy as long as you want when that time comes.

CuresToken.com
»   Decentralizing the Health Care System   «
────────  Facebook TwitterLinkedInBountyTelegram  ────────
gambitcoin53

Merit: 25

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 01:34:28 AM

Only a few years ago we had a growing number of shops here in berlin that you were able to buy food and/or drinks from for bitcoin. Right now there are no more of these stores left. And most of the sellers I used to buy things from on the big marketplaces now refuse to trade bitcoin too and changed to etherium. I know for those people that think that bitcoin is the new gold it is not that bad but bitcoin was "released" to be something completely different. Right now bitcoin is no real crypto currency at all. Buy a coffee for 2,5 bucks and pay 25 bucks fee.... sure.......... In my opinion bitcoin completely failed because of these fees and I sold every last satoshi and invested in other crypto currencies. Is there a single reason to stick to bitcoin? If yes, please feel free to tell me!

who would you buy a coffee using bitcoin? dont you have cash, lol but i see your point, your example are too simply not to be ridiculed at, sorry. As for the fees are concern, true, it does make bitcoin fall (partly) though it is not the main reason for this fall on bitcoin, you have to consider the trend which newbies follow. the fees are already there and given, that is how trading goes when you deal with exchanges. maybe the stores in your place only tested bitcoin's capabilities to compete with fiats. they are also experiencing hassles in their own exchange sites, so they stop and the other stores follow. what matters is what you believe, believe in bitcoin and make other investors to rely on bitcoin too. do not post negative stuff like this, the only way for bitcoin to go up again is to keep it for a while and make room for law of demand.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: