Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:31:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: At today's prices it would take 10 months to pay back 1 1080ti before you made $  (Read 1784 times)
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 11:40:22 PM

You guys are all doing it wrong.

Instead of paying $1500 for a 1080ti to make $5/day

You should just get an 7970/280X from Craigslist for like $150 and make $2.5/day

In days like these all the legacy gpus like the Pitcairns and Tahiti's make the most sense.

No point teaching what profit means to the stupid, I guess they like to pay $1500 for a gtx 1080 ti and say to everybody they paid $2000 for it and then try to sell to the next idiot for $3000 and $3000 is titan v but no, they dont want that, they want to pay $2000 for a $700 card, that probably will mean status to their idiotic action.

you cant even get the titian V right now.

how many 1080tis = 1 titan?

$3000 is alot for a card. I dont see it on whattomine, so its hard to say how much it could make me. I like to make educated purchases and really study and read reports before I spend alot.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 11:49:10 PM

If you've got the patience you should not be buying any price-gouged GPUs at all. Nvidia's webstore is regularly restocked with GPUs, though you have to be quick and it's limited to two cards per customer, and EVGA also occasionally sells GPUs at reasonable prices, near their MSRP.

Reddit's /r/buildapcsales is also another place you can go to for finding deals. It's even possible to set up alerts for posts about a certain GPU on the subreddit. Haven't seen many people mentioning this for finding GPUs before, but I've snagged many nice deals for GPUs from there.

badfad

Activity: 186
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 11:53:24 PM

I think we're all so spoiled after this crazy 2017.
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 12:09:17 AM

If you've got the patience you should not be buying any price-gouged GPUs at all. Nvidia's webstore is regularly restocked with GPUs, though you have to be quick and it's limited to two cards per customer, and EVGA also occasionally sells GPUs at reasonable prices, near their MSRP.

Reddit's /r/buildapcsales is also another place you can go to for finding deals. It's even possible to set up alerts for posts about a certain GPU on the subreddit. Haven't seen many people mentioning this for finding GPUs before, but I've snagged many nice deals for GPUs from there.

when does nvidia site get restocked I put my  email on the list and they never email me. every single place I put my name on the list wont notify me
dcjim1

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 12:13:04 AM

In my humble opinion, 10 month ROI isnt really that good if you consider that the equipments are on very fast depreciation schedule.

The ROI isnt as persistent as other types of investments, primary because mining causes standard computer parts to fail prematurely.

My X79 still runs fine after 8 years of service becase I only do web browsing with it, but...

The video cards in a mining rig may die in 1-2 years or less due to heavy cryptomining and/or faulty riser boards. tbh, I'm having some doubts about getting into mining.... jumped in when ROI was about 6 months.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 12:20:44 AM

when does nvidia site get restocked I put my  email on the list and they never email me. every single place I put my name on the list wont notify me

How long ago did you sign up for notifications?

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 08:12:09 PM

In my humble opinion, 10 month ROI isnt really that good if you consider that the equipments are on very fast depreciation schedule.

The ROI isnt as persistent as other types of investments, primary because mining causes standard computer parts to fail prematurely.

My X79 still runs fine after 8 years of service becase I only do web browsing with it, but...

The video cards in a mining rig may die in 1-2 years or less due to heavy cryptomining and/or faulty riser boards. tbh, I'm having some doubts about getting into mining.... jumped in when ROI was about 6 months.

If you manage to kill a GPU in less than 5 years of mining on it, you're doing it WRONG.

I have quite a few cards that have been mining (or running the DNet client, which is also crypto work and JUST as intensive to the GPU) since the LITECOIN GPU mining days in 2013/2014 that are STILL mining away today.

Do quit spreading the "mining kills cards fast" FUD lies.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 11:57:55 PM

How does the power usage and hash rate compare between 1080 ti and 270x/280x? Most people buying 1080 ti paying $.20/kWh or more and not everyone is lucky to be from rural settings where power cost mere $.05 or less. And most can assume those 270/280s were used for mining purposes, what is their expected lifespan without any support from sellers or manufacturers. I sold off my 290 and 390s in favor of Fury with modified ROM and 1080 Tis because of how efficient they are and I pay over $.20/kWh and mining is still profitable for me Smiley

280x is rough ballpark a 300 sol/sec card on equihash as I recall from some of my testing.
 Under 15 Mhash/sec for ETH in the short time I tried it on that.
 Stocks card, BIOS upgrades might have helped some.
 I didn't check power usage, but I would GUESS 150-200 watt ballpark.

If you are paying over 20 cents/kwh you're in one of the HIGHEST price areas of the US - the NATIONAL average is closer to 12 (I can't remember if it finally went over or is still a little under offhand) and you don't need to be "rural" to get to 5 cents/kwh or a bit under.
 Moses Lake, Wenatchee/East Wenatchee, Ephrata, and Quincy aren't BIG cities, but they're definitely not "rural" - and there's at least one part of the Spokane metro area (the service area of a small electric utility company called MECRO or something like that in the Spokane Valley suburb) that's also under 5 - and that's just the areas I know about personally and talking residential or SMALL business (general service) rates + taxes + fees.

Did you see that thread from the guy in CA that posted a screenshot his electrical rates?  I can't remember exactly the number of kwh that put him at high usage rates (it was pretty low), but one mining rig eating up 950ish watts plus his regular household usage was putting him at the high usage rate of over 0.30 per kwh.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 09:17:59 PM

The only place in the Continental US that can argue for high rates with the WORST California rates are in the New England states.
California does see a lot of variation on rates - the large urban areas like San Diego and LA are high but not insanely so, while the rural areas like the mountainous heavy wooded far Northern part of the state tend to be VERY high rates.

It says a lot that a lot of the hydro power produced in Central Washington is sold all the way to California - and that's it's STILL cheaper despite transmission costs than they can manage locally in most of the state.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
Dtrucksguitarfan

Activity: 53
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 09:39:26 PM

The only place in the Continental US that can argue for high rates with the WORST California rates are in the New England states.
California does see a lot of variation on rates - the large urban areas like San Diego and LA are high but not insanely so, while the rural areas like the mountainous heavy wooded far Northern part of the state tend to be VERY high rates.

It says a lot that a lot of the hydro power produced in Central Washington is sold all the way to California - and that's it's STILL cheaper despite transmission costs than they can manage locally in most of the state.

I'm glad I live in Georgia USA.  My rate is .045 cents
dcjim1

Activity: 41

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 06:29:50 AM

If you manage to kill a GPU in less than 5 years of mining on it, you're doing it WRONG.

I have quite a few cards that have been mining (or running the DNet client, which is also crypto work and JUST as intensive to the GPU) since the LITECOIN GPU mining days in 2013/2014 that are STILL mining away today.

5 years is quite impressive. Would you share some tips?

Im getting into a bit of issue. My gpu's quality seem to be quite different from each other, despite all being from the same maker and batch. Some would clock at a higher freq given the same voltage some would be a bit lower. Any tips on modding or controlling a rig with gpu's all clocked differently?

Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 07:22:54 AM

5 years is quite impressive. Would you share some tips?

Im getting into a bit of issue. My gpu's quality seem to be quite different from each other, despite all being from the same maker and batch. Some would clock at a higher freq given the same voltage some would be a bit lower. Any tips on modding or controlling a rig with gpu's all clocked differently?

3 years i can see but 5 years lol no way
MiningDoc

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 07:26:46 AM

How can a miner get mining in 2018? Prices are just to high

It would take 10 months just to make your money back. And then you start to see profit

My 1 1070 can only pull in maybe $5 a day it would take me 7-8 months before I paid it back and made money...

Smart investment? How are people paying these prices?

I guess I don't feel so bad.  I have a couple 570's that cost me $200 each, currently earning $2.25 - $2.50 per day (mining cryptonight algo) each giving about 80 day ( 2 1/2 months) ROI not factoring in electricity.  I have them undervolted drawing only 85-88 watts each.  So they are running cool and quiet with minimal cost.

Pokercoin.net – The Future of Poker! Welcome to the 1st cryptocurrency which is created for pokerplayers!
Join Now and Start Playing Online Poker on the first platform accepting Pokercoin!
 || Website || Poker || Bounty || Twitter || Facebook ||
MiningDoc

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 07:31:00 AM

I think it all depends on if you can keep them cool.  How many fans need replacing/rebuilding after 12 months on GPU's.  I've had a few that I had to replace fans because they just wore out.  I did kill 1 7950 because the fan went out and I wasn't monitoring it and it ran for a long time at high temps in the summer.  Heat and GPU's don't mix well.

Pokercoin.net – The Future of Poker! Welcome to the 1st cryptocurrency which is created for pokerplayers!
Join Now and Start Playing Online Poker on the first platform accepting Pokercoin!
 || Website || Poker || Bounty || Twitter || Facebook ||
ibuycrypto2

Activity: 18

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2018, 09:55:35 AM

How is it that everyone is using the term ROI so incorrectly? ROI = (Gain from investment - investment) / investment. The answer to that equation is not months, it's a percent. The time it takes to break even or recoup costs is not ROI.
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:14:13 AM

People are stupid, they have no idea of what could happen to them in few months, paying these overpriced prices is taking a huge risk, in 2013 the problem was not gpu's shortage or increase in gpu prices, it was really the coin price crashing, ltc hit $50 and it crashed to $0.55, that was almost 100 times crash. So imagine now if coin prices crash 100 times again, imagine if eth  which is $1000 crashes to $1, not going to happen cause this year is eth's year and many people are betting on that but why mine something that can be very risk cause of gpus prices instead of just buying the coin is stupid.

The answer is very simple: at the end of the day you're still left with a high performance pc or pc parts that are easily resellable to gamers or video editing guys.

What you mine in between is just pure profit.
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 12:48:32 PM

I think it all depends on if you can keep them cool.  How many fans need replacing/rebuilding after 12 months on GPU's.  I've had a few that I had to replace fans because they just wore out.  I did kill 1 7950 because the fan went out and I wasn't monitoring it and it ran for a long time at high temps in the summer.  Heat and GPU's don't mix well.

Yeah, fans definitely seem to be the weak link here. My Zotac mini GTX 1050 Ti worked just fine playing MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries for about 11 months (and yes, this 12+ year old game was demanding enough to cause the fan to spool up at times), then 1 month after I started using it to mine the fan died. Likely the fan was "one step away from the grave" right from the factory, but the fact remains it actually died not long after I started mining.

Amstellodamois

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 12:59:54 PM

It would take 10 months just to make your money back. And then you start to see profit

My 1 1070 can only pull in maybe $5 a day it would take me 7-8 months before I paid it back and made money...

What are your numbers?
(Buying price and daily profit?)
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 01:04:01 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2018, 01:17:01 PM by Digital Drug Lord

well I just installed a rx 580 inside the same case as my 1070. The 1070 is a blower style fan that keeps cool at its overclocked speed

the rx580 dual fan by asus gets HOT its running at 76 C while my MSI aero 1070 runs at 65 C

the rx runs to hot, I can see why BOTH amd and nvidia are now putting in blower fans while the cheap after market gtx are using a cooling system that makes the entire PC hot

its this hot and its in middle of winter, I am seriously considering selling both 1070 and rx 580 and just getting 2 water cooled 1080tis and be done with it,

no more fans, no more fans breaking, no more worrying about the heat in the summer.

at this rate in the summer the rx 580 will die it just runs to hot

What are your numbers?
(Buying price and daily profit?)

well the prices are very high now, I did make out good when I bought my PC for $850 on black friday my video card cost about that almost... it came with my 1070

but now im looking to sell it and go water cooled. no way will another dual or 3 fan card keep my system cool their design is crippled and the heat spreads out and into the case making it hot

I almost bought a msi 1080ti armor glad I didnt it would just over heat in the summer, im looking for a dual water cooled option for my PC

my reason being the heat  these fan cards produce and the prices for the crippled over heating old style fan GPUS are just way to high, and for a couple hundred bucks I can get water cooled, over clocked and never ever ever have to worry about summer heat .... for a couple of dollars more no fans no over heat im there once I research a little more
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 09:12:39 PM

How is it that everyone is using the term ROI so incorrectly? ROI = (Gain from investment - investment) / investment. The answer to that equation is not months, it's a percent. The time it takes to break even or recoup costs is not ROI.

ROI as "misused" in the cryptocoin mining industry is generally a time estimate to get enough payout in coin value to match the price of the hardware.
 DO keep in mind that most cryptocoin miners are not financial professionals or experts.

It also tends to ignore the residual value of the underlying hardware - which in the case of ASIC miners wasn't a particularly bad choice as those often had very little value left by the time they have earned more than their own price, prior to the current 14/16 nm generation,

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: