Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:19:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: At today's prices it would take 10 months to pay back 1 1080ti before you made $  (Read 1784 times)
NobodyIsHome

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 04:03:54 AM

Capital recovery is the correct term
dcjim1

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:07:00 AM

well I just installed a rx 580 inside the same case as my 1070. The 1070 is a blower style fan that keeps cool at its overclocked speed

the rx580 dual fan by asus gets HOT its running at 76 C while my MSI aero 1070 runs at 65 C

the rx runs to hot, I can see why BOTH amd and nvidia are now putting in blower fans while the cheap after market gtx are using a cooling system that makes the entire PC hot

its this hot and its in middle of winter, I am seriously considering selling both 1070 and rx 580 and just getting 2 water cooled 1080tis and be done with it,

no more fans, no more fans breaking, no more worrying about the heat in the summer.

at this rate in the summer the rx 580 will die it just runs to hot

IMHO, the open-style fans are fine as long as you have an open frame mining rig and run an external fan perpendicular to it. The 10-14 inch fan adds an additional ~50W to energy cost but they work well to force hot air out thru the spacing between graphics cards where hot air gets trapped.

Ive noticed that even tho open-style fans have heatsinks that are designed to force hot air out thru either the back or front end of graphics cards, when you have 5-19 cards stacked in parallel the temperature kinda get a little bit higher going from the first to the last in the fan direction.
dcjim1

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:14:49 AM

How is it that everyone is using the term ROI so incorrectly? ROI = (Gain from investment - investment) / investment. The answer to that equation is not months, it's a percent. The time it takes to break even or recoup costs is not ROI.

ROI as "misused" in the cryptocoin mining industry is generally a time estimate to get enough payout in coin value to match the price of the hardware.
 DO keep in mind that most cryptocoin miners are not financial professionals or experts.

It also tends to ignore the residual value of the underlying hardware - which in the case of ASIC miners wasn't a particularly bad choice as those often had very little value left by the time they have earned more than their own price, prior to the current 14/16 nm generation,

Out of curiosity,  how much is an RX580 expected to fetch on ebay in 2020 ?

Would like to be able to get some money back eventually.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:31:52 AM

How is it that everyone is using the term ROI so incorrectly? ROI = (Gain from investment - investment) / investment. The answer to that equation is not months, it's a percent. The time it takes to break even or recoup costs is not ROI.

ROI as "misused" in the cryptocoin mining industry is generally a time estimate to get enough payout in coin value to match the price of the hardware.
 DO keep in mind that most cryptocoin miners are not financial professionals or experts.

It also tends to ignore the residual value of the underlying hardware - which in the case of ASIC miners wasn't a particularly bad choice as those often had very little value left by the time they have earned more than their own price, prior to the current 14/16 nm generation,

Out of curiosity,  how much is an RX580 expected to fetch on ebay in 2020 ?

Would like to be able to get some money back eventually.

Hopefully very little, which would be fair.  The only reason people are getting away with selling at such high markups right now is the shortage of gpu's from legit retailers. 

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 01:02:43 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2018, 01:18:55 AM by Digital Drug Lord

well I just installed a rx 580 inside the same case as my 1070. The 1070 is a blower style fan that keeps cool at its overclocked speed

the rx580 dual fan by asus gets HOT its running at 76 C while my MSI aero 1070 runs at 65 C

the rx runs to hot, I can see why BOTH amd and nvidia are now putting in blower fans while the cheap after market gtx are using a cooling system that makes the entire PC hot

its this hot and its in middle of winter, I am seriously considering selling both 1070 and rx 580 and just getting 2 water cooled 1080tis and be done with it,

no more fans, no more fans breaking, no more worrying about the heat in the summer.

IMHO, the open-style fans are fine as long as you have an open frame mining rig and run an external fan perpendicular to it. The 10-14 inch fan adds an additional ~50W to energy cost but they work well to force hot air out thru the spacing between graphics cards where hot air gets trapped.

Ive noticed that even tho open-style fans have heatsinks that are designed to force hot air out thru either the back or front end of graphics cards, when you have 5-19 cards stacked in parallel the temperature kinda get a little bit higher going from the first to the last in the fan direction.

im shocked there isnt more water cooled options. thinking of making 2 PCs with water cooled 1080tis, so 4 1080tis in their case, sitting in a corner nice and quite. I can put them in different places. its easier for a pc to sit in a corner and nobody notices it, If I go on vacation for 2 months, I feel my water cooled GPU will be ok in the heat. hell I dont even have to leave a fan running! What do you think?

but I think the blower fans are like new tech, 1 fan does a better job in the case.

but then I dont know how these blowers will work when its 90 degrees out. the price of a regular 2 or 3 fan 1080 ti is as much as a water cooled one, I never had water cooled anything but if I had the money all my GPUS would be water cooled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s_je7-BIEc

im still seeing how I can do this with 2 1080tis water cooled but I dont want anything to break, I dont see many people mining with water cooled so Im a little cautious about spending on water cooled gpus

could I get 2 of these and put in case and not worry? They just have a fan I put them in and im golden?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ugGv0kw8pQ
dcjim1

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 01:24:46 AM

im shocked there isnt more water cooled options. thinking of making 2 PCs with water cooled 1080tis, so 4 1080tis in their case, sitting in a corner nice and quite. I can put them in different places. its easier for a pc to sit in a corner and nobody notices it, If I go on vacation for 2 months, I feel my water cooled GPU will be ok in the heat. hell I dont even have to leave a fan running! What do you think?

but I think the blower fans are like new tech, 1 fan does a better job in the case.

but then I dont know how these blowers will work when its 90 degrees out. the price of a regular 2 or 3 fan 1080 ti is as much as a water cooled one, I never had water cooled anything but if I had the money all my GPUS would be water cooled

im still seeing how I can do this with 2 1080tis water cooled but I dont want anything to break, I dont see many people mining with water cooled so Im a little cautious about spending on water cooled gpus

could I get 2 of these and put in case and not worry? They just have a fan I put them in and im golden?

with the water cooler solution, you will have one more thing to worry about.... what if the pumps fails or the pipes start leaking, then the rig gets taken out...

also please note that these rigs produce a lot of heat even in the winter. 60-70C is about 50-60C higher than winter ambient temperature, so with a rig of 5-19 cards, a lot of hot air will be coming out thru the metal heatsinks.

not really something you would want to put in your living habitat, whether its enclosed in a case or not.

x8664amd

Activity: 129
Merit: 6

Long term HODLer since 2014

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 01:30:05 AM

How can a miner get mining in 2018? Prices are just to high

It would take 10 months just to make your money back. And then you start to see profit

My 1 1070 can only pull in maybe $5 a day it would take me 7-8 months before I paid it back and made money...

Smart investment? How are people paying these prices?

look 3 months back, 5 USD with 1080ti was normal... than it boosts up to 15...

10m ROI is still good, compare it with any other investment....

Get me any real projects with 10 month ROI and I am all ears. People here just don't realize how hard it is to make money in the real world.

Fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. Just HODL.
gotminer

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 01:31:09 AM

im shocked there isnt more water cooled options. thinking of making 2 PCs with water cooled 1080tis, so 4 1080tis in their case, sitting in a corner nice and quite. I can put them in different places. its easier for a pc to sit in a corner and nobody notices it, If I go on vacation for 2 months, I feel my water cooled GPU will be ok in the heat.

could I get 2 of these and put in case and not worry?

In my opinion, the water cooled cards are more expensive and I can't justify the price, when I can buy any other style card cheaper, and keep them cool.  Blower, or other.  I don't use computer cases though.  I use open air frames with six gpu's in each with a $15 usd dollar box fan on the back of each rig to blow the hot air off of the cards.  

You also have the worry of water leakage or the cooling system failing.  I had a friend was all about water cooling his gpu in his gaming pc, until he started having problem after problem with pumps.

I'm still testing solutions for removing hot air from my mining room.  I currently have a box fan in the window sucking hot air out, but I think I need a more powerful fan if I'm going to use that method when outdoor temps reach 90-100F in the summer.  Leaving the door open in my mining room also allows a lot of the hot air to move out of that room into the rest of the house (with mining room windows open, but we're talking 30-40F outdoor temps here right now.  We shall see.

Other options may be a ceiling exhaust fan to suck hot air out of the room into the attic.  Or a wall exhaust fan to suck hot air out of the room and push it into the house.  Or even a movable temporary solution of stackable box fans in the door way of the room to suck hot air out of the room into the rest of the house.      

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 02:14:40 AM

im shocked there isnt more water cooled options. thinking of making 2 PCs with water cooled 1080tis, so 4 1080tis in their case, sitting in a corner nice and quite. I can put them in different places. its easier for a pc to sit in a corner and nobody notices it, If I go on vacation for 2 months, I feel my water cooled GPU will be ok in the heat.

In my opinion, the water cooled cards are more expensive and I can't justify the price, when I can buy any other style card cheaper, and keep them cool.  Blower, or other.  I don't use computer cases though.  I use open air frames with six gpu's in each with a $15 usd dollar box fan on the back of each rig to blow the hot air off of the cards.  

You also have the worry of water leakage or the cooling system failing.  I had a friend was all about water cooling his gpu in his gaming pc, until he started having problem after problem with pumps.

I'm still testing solutions for removing hot air from my mining room.  I currently have a box fan in the window sucking hot air out, but I think I need a more powerful fan if I'm going to use that method when outdoor temps reach 90-100F in the summer.  Leaving the door open in my mining room also allows a lot of the hot air to move out of that room into the rest of the house (with mining room windows open, but we're talking 30-40F outdoor temps here right now.  We shall see.

Other options may be a ceiling exhaust fan to suck hot air out of the room into the attic.  Or a wall exhaust fan to suck hot air out of the room and push it into the house.  Or even a movable temporary solution of stackable box fans in the door way of the room to suck hot air out of the room into the rest of the house.      

everything is expensive right now, a fan style cost as much as a water cooled, why not get the water cooled? unless there are problems. Im going to get one, as I think its just better. All these fans and such and worrying about room and heat, are gone with a water cooled GPU. it might fail but so might a fan, and warranty is a warranty.

I wont even need to turn on the AC in my room in the summer and thats priceless, I can SAVE money on electricity just on that. Im going to buy one and then sell my 1070 now and get 2 1080tis with a 3 year warrenty. makes more sense as I bought my pc as an open box for $850 and I could get like $650 for my 1070

I thought about it long time and I think the best move.

hanskan

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 02:16:24 AM

How can a miner get mining in 2018? Prices are just to high

It would take 10 months just to make your money back. And then you start to see profit

My 1 1070 can only pull in maybe $5 a day it would take me 7-8 months before I paid it back and made money...

Smart investment? How are people paying these prices?

100%++ p/a is a joke to you ? Really ? Well, go buy real estate then lol
gotminer

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 02:24:22 AM

everything is expensive right now, a fan style cost as much as a water cooled, why not get the water cooled? unless there are problems. Im going to get one, as I think its just better. All these fans and such and worrying about room and heat, are gone with a water cooled GPU. it might fail but so might a fan, and warranty is a warranty.

I wont even need to turn on the AC in my room in the summer and thats priceless, I can SAVE money on electricity just on that. Im going to buy one and then sell my 1070 now and get 2 1080tis with a 3 year warrenty. makes more sense as I bought my pc as an open box for $850 and I could get like $650 for my 1070

I thought about it long time and I think the best move.

Whatever you end up buying, just don't buy from resellers.  You pay way too much going that route.  And that NewEgg link you posted in another thread is a reseller, not NewEgg.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:08:13 AM

Water cooled are USUALLY more expensive - but with the crazy gouge pricing and extreme shortages that's not always the case right now.

They ARE a good choice if you insist on mining in a hot + humid area where evap coolers don't work, since you CAN keep them cool easily and cheaply despite the humidity - otherwise when prices are normal I don't think they're a good choice.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
coins4commies

Activity: 952
Merit: 175

@cryptocommies

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 06:56:08 AM

I just realized the prices are high because amazon and ebay aren't allowing regular people to list these items.  I want to sell a 1070 but amazon requires written letter from the brand authorizing you as a reseller and ebay only allows established sellers to sell for over 500. 

This essentially weeds out all of the people who just want to sell their items and eliminates compeition leaving the price gougers free to charge 899 for 1070s.
ibuycrypto2

Activity: 18

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 07:40:27 AM

I just realized the prices are high because amazon and ebay aren't allowing regular people to list these items.  I want to sell a 1070 but amazon requires written letter from the brand authorizing you as a reseller and ebay only allows established sellers to sell for over 500.  

This essentially weeds out all of the people who just want to sell their items and eliminates compeition leaving the price gougers free to charge 899 for 1070s.

Amazon gates some brands and not others. That is across the board on Amazon, not just GPUs. Depends on the brand. Amazon has better pricing on GPUs than 3rd party sellers on Amazon.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 09:58:25 PM

I just realized the prices are high because amazon and ebay aren't allowing regular people to list these items.  I want to sell a 1070 but amazon requires written letter from the brand authorizing you as a reseller and ebay only allows established sellers to sell for over 500. 

That's weird, I never had an issue like that back when I sold via Amazon.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:52:09 PM

I just realized the prices are high because amazon and ebay aren't allowing regular people to list these items.  I want to sell a 1070 but amazon requires written letter from the brand authorizing you as a reseller and ebay only allows established sellers to sell for over 500.  

That's weird, I never had an issue like that back when I sold via Amazon.

Certain categories required different authorizations. I've had to get different docs authorized over the years for different accounts to sell different things. It's not that hard and at the end of the day they can all be doctored anyways. Also obviously someone who isn't me has around 25 different ebay accounts, to get by their new seller 500 limit just call in if you have all the seller info they remove the lift for you.

Personally I'd just spend a few hundred bucks get a high limit ebay and verified paypal account. No fussing around with their stupid policies and their bullshit. Also no Tax implications. and again, of course I would never do something like this.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 10:05:54 PM

Based on past experience with them I refuse to have anything to do with Paypal for ANY reason.

I was a member of the "class" in the FIRST class action lawsuit against Paypal, they're current in discovery phase on a SECOND class action lawsuit over the SAME ISSUES, despite the consent decree they signed agreeing to FIX those issues that was part of the settlement of the FIRST lawsuit.

ebay also announced recently that they were discontinuing Paypal services (they already spun Paypal BACK OFF AGAIN), I strongly suspect it's due TO the issues that are likely to drive Paypal into long overdue bankrupcy.

Until eBay drops Paypal entirely (they STILL used them as their primary and sometimes FORCED payment processor), I also refuse to have anything to do with eBay.

Not really a point for me any more though, I prefer to sell local and Craigslist is a far better option there.

Digital Drug Lord (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 10:23:53 PM

Water cooled are USUALLY more expensive - but with the crazy gouge pricing and extreme shortages that's not always the case right now.

They ARE a good choice if you insist on mining in a hot + humid area where evap coolers don't work, since you CAN keep them cool easily and cheaply despite the humidity - otherwise when prices are normal I don't think they're a good choice.

Just got back from microcenter they are selling 1080tis with fans for $950.
I got my water cooled for $950 I have my water cooled card

I think the water cooled will stay cool in the summer and I won't need to fan them

I think I got a great deal. Considering everything
VegasJeff

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 03:25:26 AM

What do you think of the hydro copper cooled 1080 Ti's?
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 01:14:09 AM

Way too expensive IMO, though if you're somewhere that is VERY VERY HOT and VERY humid they might make sense.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: