Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:32:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Old laptop for mining?  (Read 296 times)
ILoveOnions (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2018, 09:58:36 PM

Hi Guys & Girls!

In the next days i will be buying a new laptop.
I have no experience in mining but i would like to hear your ideas about using my old laptop for mining.
It is an N76V ASUS - Working memory 8GB, 1 TB HD, NVIDIA Card 740 M, Intel core I7, 3630 QM, 2,4 GHz

Is this enough for mining? Would it be any profitatable? We are in the Netherlands and pay quite some for electricity....

Look forward to hear your experiences/opinions!

Iloveto.dance

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
farmerjake

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 10:10:17 PM

Hi Guys & Girls!

I have no experience in mining but i would like to hear your ideas about using my old laptop for mining.
It is an N76V ASUS - Working memory 8GB, 1 TB HD, NVIDIA Card 740 M, Intel core I7, 3630 QM, 2,4 GHz

Is this enough for mining? Would it be any profitatable? We are in the Netherlands and pay quite some for electricity....

Completely useless to mine anything. Sell it on ebay.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 10:58:51 PM

Mining Bitcoin with laptops is pointless as you're going to make maybe a Satoshi or two per year. If you pay a lot for electricity even mining alts may not be incredibly profitable. Add in the fact that most laptops just aren't made to run at 100% speed for long periods of time and there's just no reason to mine anything at all with a laptop. Sell it and if you want to mine, make a GPU rig or buy an ASIC for BTC.
trigg

Activity: 23

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 12:33:24 AM

As others have said... it is useless for mining! You will actually lose money by doing it this way.
8Habits

Activity: 756
Merit: 294

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 02:34:27 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2018, 03:47:50 AM by 8Habits

If you are not going to use that old laptop it is better to use it to mine burst coin. Although I will be honest with you, the earnings will be very little but better than just leaving it on the side and not using it.

There is a caveat though, you need to purchase at least 1 4tb external hard drive and expect to get the ROI in 16 months more or less depending on the market situation.

You see, it won't be enough but eventually, if you are just patient, you can be lucky and get a good price when the price of the burst will go high.

Burst coin is a good choice because it won't demand higher specs of video cards and won't consume much electricity and indeed electricity is very minimal because you are just using external hard drives.

In fact, early next month, I will be buying a low-end desktop and 2 pcs. of 4 TB seagate backup plus to start mining burst and will gradually add more new 4TB external hard drives as I go onward. I am not targetting short-term profit but I will do this for a long-term investment.

To answer your question: yes, you can use that old laptop for burst coin mining but as you grow, you can upgrade and buy desktop for that purpose.
damansk

Activity: 36

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 03:09:25 AM

Its honestly a good way to break your laptop and lose money.

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:17:24 AM

I think its the perfect laptop for cold storage.

Take out your Wifi+Bluetooth

Install Electrum and have your own hardware wallet pretty much.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:36:23 AM

Many OPs ask about mining using Laptop / CPU, ask for advice and same OPs. Laptops are not products intended for mining. It has a small fan, cannot keep running for 24 hours although it can experience excessive heat, especially when using the mine, the casing will not be able to release excessive heat. of course, can make the laptop broken.

has a small hashrate, less profitable and will just waste electricity. Even if the electricity in your country is cheap or free.
patofet

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 11:43:25 AM

Hi Guys & Girls!

Yes, you can mine with nicehash: https://miner.nicehash.com
theflyingfury

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 12:44:29 PM

You can surely mine. But it wont be profitable and also your laptop will heat up like anything.
supermine

Activity: 826
Merit: 518

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 12:55:36 PM

Hi Guys & Girls!

CPU mining is not profitable anymore for many coins and doing this with the laptop is just the waste of electric energy.And laptop is not designed to work for 24/7 and it will damage if you do it.SO it is better to grab some hardware required to run the perfect mining. Grin

But if you want to try just download minergate app on your laptop and try to mine your desired coin with it and don't forget to switch on all the cores.

I think its the perfect laptop for cold storage.

Take out your Wifi+Bluetooth

Install Electrum and have your own hardware wallet pretty much.
Most irrelavant answer to the OP Grin

But I agree with you that is best option for OP  to store bitcoins safely.Smiley
sergio red

Activity: 414
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:17:57 PM

Hi Guys & Girls!

mining is profitable when your cost is low.if electricity bill is high it is not possible to earn profit.and you mention that you want to use your laptop.but true fact is that laptop is not suitable for mining.its cooling system is not enough mining.it can not work 24 hours continously. and there is low probability to get handsome profit. you will get little profit. you can mine using your laptop but there should be some problem.
happy mining.
captain8

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:19:37 PM

Hi Guys & Girls!

Not worth it, just buy an asic  Grin

bigdude

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

Dolphins Finance TRUSTED FINANCE

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:32:33 PM

Hi Guys & Girls!

It only kill your old man faster.
And you will have to pay more for electric and get almost nothing to mine with that.
BTW, Laptop don't design for mining. Just normal use already make it hot.
Sell it and buy 6 GPUs to build your rig
Good luck

ILoveOnions (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 09:57:37 PM

Thanks Guys and Girls for all your answers!
I will forget about the idea to start mining with this laptop. Cold Storage of coins sound not too bad....
I will have a look there!
But i might potentially also sell it. It will still bring me about 250 euro's...

Cheers & good luck!

Iloveto.dance
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:59:19 PM

TBH if you're looking to store bitcoin or any crypto in cold storage it's still better to opt for a hardware wallet if at all possible- I know the prices on hardware wallets has been jacked up recently, but they're still a good investment to make. You should be able to buy a Ledger/Trezor with your money if you choose to sell the laptop and still have some money left over.
togoshigekata

Activity: 1260
Merit: 115

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:29:09 AM

BiblePay (BBP) CPU Mining Only, 10% of mined coins go to Charity

===

How to Mine on Windows: https://www.reddit.com/r/BiblePay/comments/6umlqq/how_to_mine_biblepay_on_windows/

How to Mine on Linux: https://www.reddit.com/r/BiblePay/comments/6ummuj/how_to_mine_biblepay_on_linux/

How to Mine on Raspberry PI: https://www.reddit.com/r/BiblePay/comments/7qnbp4/bbp_miner_on_pi/

Orium Official

Activity: 39

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 06:31:57 AM

Hi Guys & Girls!

Completely useless to mine anything. Sell it on ebay.

Now a day mining difficulties are higher and can't do solo mining for BTC .
 Cool Cool Cool
Turkish88

Activity: 714
Merit: 104

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:05:16 AM

Why sell, this hardware can be used for monitoring mining, connect to the rig from remote desktop.
If you want start mining business this laptop come in handy for you

Help to Ukrainian citizens
ETH donations adress - 0xe23CB47AC32F0b8750d4D0Dd4e160Fa6F8fF30EF
szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:26:39 AM

Laptop is good only for pos coin example obsidian,minexcoin,cj,cyder,gpu,renos,steepcoin,purevidz,copico.But make backup wallet after installing wallet on pendrive.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: